Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 12:09 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Born Gay? Convince me! Born Straight? Convince me!:

Your first truly exciting, satisfying sexual experience will decide that. And, for some, that experience might not happen until you're in your 60's.

I went through a ghastly, lengthy ordeal coming out of the closet, and making my declarations to everyone: I'm Gay!

Then, along the way, some strange inexplicable things have occurred.

They always occur when walking through a red-light district, whether it be Amsterdam/Tijuana/Bangkok, and then my sexual identity really takes a beating!

I oftentimes wonder if straight women go through the same test when walking through wide open red light districts. A little confused at the end of the night? I'll betcha!
You're definitely projecting some confusion. Let me assure you that straight guys do not dabble in homosexuality and a straight guy will not have a truly exciting, satisfying sexual experience with another male. Convinced yet? You've convinced me, anyway.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:35 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,382,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadScribe View Post
The question "Are people born gay" is truly loaded and I for one am convinced that we will NEVER know.

One place people often turn to to answer this question is childhood expression- ignoring the fact that children are prepubescent and thus not at all sexual in their physical play.

One issue that people are usually nervous to approach (understandably) is that children sometimes "explore" and "play" physically amongst themselves. For them it's really just beginning to learn about human form. Obviously, adults should not encourage this sort of exploration among children, but hey it happens. Ignoring that fact is silly.

And quite often among the young ones, this sort of exploration does take place among same sexes.

I am under the firm belief that there is no study of any sort that will be able to determine whether a person is born gay. That said, I'm sure there are some people that are born with the inclination to be gay. And the reasons why may be so beyond our current understanding that we still wrangle with the basic question of - is it possible to be born gay?
You might be interested in reading up on the studies on sexual orientation.
Science Hub at Isocrat.org (http://isocrat.org/science/ - broken link)
http://online.logcabin.org/assets/pd...ised-final.pdf

Also, I think many people only think of homosexuality in terms of sexual attraction. Sexual orientation is about much more than just sexual attraction as many gay people could tell you.

There are studies showing biological differences between heterosexuals and homosexuals that have nothing to do with sex. Differences that were already in place long before puberty.

How Homosexuals Are Different (http://isocrat.org/science/causes/differences.php - broken link)

Old 02-12-2010, 12:08 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,870,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Some homosexuals claim they were born gay. But I know a gay person that recently became straight. This makes me wonder if people are really born gay. Not trying to offend any homosexuals.
Either he's bi or lying to himself. Is this girl feminine or manly?

Old 02-12-2010, 12:16 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
Either he's bi or lying to himself. Is this girl feminine or manly?
Feminine. She is the type that a lot of straight men would be attracted to. Whether he's bi or straight, he has changed his orientation because he used to be a self-proclaimed gay.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:18 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
In my opinion there simply has to be a "gay gene." Having grown up in gay-friendly cities like Los Angeles and Santa Cruz and now Austin, and having an extensive music background, I've known many gay men and women, and everyone of them I've ever broached the subject with admitted they knew they were different from a very young age. Also, look at some of the typical mannerisms and affects of many--not all!--gay men: the slightly lispy, effeminate speech patterns; the mincing walk, the proclivity for artistic or creative--"right brain"--talents. Those traits all hint at a pre-genetic disposition; one doesn't just "choose" to exude them.
Gay women: the same thing. Why are most pure lesbians so much more masculine looking than their straight counterparts? What of their dominance in female sports? What about that prominent jawline? How can all that not be genetic?
As for your friend: you were fuzzy on the details of his alleged conversion, but I'm guessing he was simply bi-sexual all along.
You're right, I was fuzzy. It may be important to mention that he had a bad relationship with a male. Maybe that made him go straight?

Old 02-12-2010, 12:26 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Just because he's dating a woman doesn't mean he's "gone straight." He might be having a rough time being openly gay and wants to be (or at least look) "normal" for a while.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:42 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,797,840 times
I don't know if you are born gay or not. But, I know several strippers who are lesbians. They said, men disgust them. Men are like animals in the clubs. So, they prefer women. These women have had relationships with men in the past.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:46 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,870,546 times
Quote:
Feminine. She is the type that a lot of straight men would be attracted to. Whether he's bi or straight, he has changed his orientation because he used to be a self-proclaimed gay.
I'm bi. Trust me he has not chaged his sexual orientation, you cannot do that. A bi person can choose to not date one gender, but your orientation and attraction to both sexes will remain the same. If he is gay it may be that he is emotionally attached to this girl, but not physically attracted to her.

Old 02-13-2010, 05:57 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,563,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
I'm bi. Trust me he has not chaged his sexual orientation, you cannot do that. A bi person can choose to not date one gender, but your orientation and attraction to both sexes will remain the same. If he is gay it may be that he is emotionally attached to this girl, but not physically attracted to her.
If you are sexually intimate with and attracted to both sexes you are bi sexual not gay. A lot of people are confused when identifying themselves but it really is cut and dry.
I happen to know more people who are bisexual than just absolute homosexual.
I really do believe that gay people are born that way and that there is a genetic component somewhere but I hope we never find it because I can already see women aborting babies knowing their unborn child might be gay.
Call it social engineering or eugenics ala Hitler.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:21 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,193 times
Quote:
Some homosexuals claim they were born gay. But I know a gay person that recently became straight. This makes me wonder if people are really born gay. Not trying to offend any homosexuals.

A pig can sleep in the barn and eat apples, but that doesn't make it a horse. "Gay" is about more than just screwing other guys.

Quote:
He's had a boyfriend before and admitted to being gay so I know he was gay at one point. But the fact that he has a girlfriend leads me to believe he is attracted to females now. And that's what straight is, being attracted to females.
Could be bi. Could be trying to fit cultural norms. Could be self-loathing. Could be he wants to borrow her shoes.

Could be any number of things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates