U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2010, 11:58 AM

5,230 posts, read 7,318,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Don't get hysterical. There's nothing I can do if a man has sexual thoughts about my 13-year-old daughter. I'm sure some of them do. She's tall and developed and looks older than she is. What I can punish is inappropriate sexual behavior.

Not long ago your 13 year old daughter would be old enough to get married.
If you let her walk around dressing in a sexually provocative manner then who is inappropriate?

Punishing a man for being one is stupid & wrong, even if its your little girl who gives it up.

Rape involves force. Its not rape if a girl wants it & gets it, regardless of how you feel. Certainly if it involves a 16 year old & a lieing 13 year old no crime was commited and ruining the guys life because two people did what comes natural is simply wrong.

Theres a big difference between an adult snatching a young girl or plying her with drugs etc than with consensual sex.

In this case here what the difference between 16 & 13 and 23 & 26? Absolutely nothing except a bad law.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:49 PM

25,907 posts, read 34,966,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Not long ago your 13 year old daughter would be old enough to get married.
So what? Not everything traditional is good. Back in the day the 15-year-old boy would quit school and marry the girl, but there aren't many parents who'd advocate that now.

Quote:
If you let her walk around dressing in a sexually provocative manner then who is inappropriate?
Like I said, I have no control over how men think of my daughter, nor do I wish to. I am not the thought police. I do keep an eye on how she dresses, if that's what you're asking.

Quote:
Punishing a man for being one is stupid & wrong, even if its your little girl who gives it up.
I don't know what that means. What does "being a man" have to do with having sex with a 13-year-old girl?

Quote:
Rape involves force. Its not rape if a girl wants it & gets it, regardless of how you feel. Certainly if it involves a 16 year old & a lieing 13 year old no crime was commited and ruining the guys life because two people did what comes natural is simply wrong.
My daughter cannot get a bank account by herself because she in legally unable to consent to a contract. There are countless scenarios where we judge a person as too young to do something. As for ruining a young man's life, I suppose you're speaking in generalities here and not specifically to me, because I've already addressed that at least twice.

Quote:
Theres a big difference between an adult snatching a young girl or plying her with drugs etc than with consensual sex.

In this case here what the difference between 16 & 13 and 23 & 26? Absolutely nothing except a bad law.
Most people agree that there's some line where the age difference is no longer OK. Most people wince when they hear of my 11-year-old cousin and her 19-year-old boyfriend. Nearly all the rest would start making faces if we just inched the dates apart little by little ... how about 10 and 20? Nine and 21? I'm being ridiculous now, aren't I? But nearly everyone does agree that there IS a point where sex is not okay--they just disagree on where that line is drawn. Even keeping with your statement that three years is three years, no matter what, we could move down to 14 and 11 ... 13 and 10 ... 12 and 9 ... uncomfortable yet? Maybe three years is a comfortable distance in ages to you. What about four years? Five years? Five years and one day? These lines can be infinitely parsed.

Statutory rape laws need to be modified, not scrapped. More scrutiny needs to be given to the circumstances of individual cases, but I am not willing to agree that all sex between minors is consensual. There are responsibilities that come with age. I've spoken before on my disagreement with Megan's Law and other difficulties faced by men who have been charged with sexual crimes. You may not have seen my posts, and that's OK.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:51 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,754,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Be careful when you draw cause and effect relationships based on the coincidence of two phenomena. There may or may not be a cause and effect. Even if there is, how are you sure that teens are not having sex more BECAUSE the adults have screwed up the world so bad, and not the other way around.

The sexual revolution and the Viet Nam war took place at about the same time. Which one caused the other?
That is a possiblity. More studies may have to be done. However, from simple interaction with many families and teens in the community there seems to be some type of pattern.
The bottom line is this. If someone is branded for life as a sex offender in todays world his future in limited in many ways and that is a fact.
So now I go back to the questions I stated in my previous message. I asked questions for all of us to ponder about for possibly going too far in punishing behavior that actually that partly is the result of a simple natural desire, sex.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 02-16-2010, 05:59 PM

48,519 posts, read 80,998,062 times
From waht I see the public is getting tougher and tougher on sex crimes;not easier. Basically they are tried of the repeated offense and lack of real enforcement.More and more want life sentences with no parole for such crimes. They see the victims as having to live with the stigma more than worry about someone who could have avoided it all together.Sex crimes are not part of normal desire for sex in many people minds; it a crime aginst the victim pure and simple that the vixctim has to liove with the rest of their lifes. The peratraotr of course only see his punsihment.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:01 PM

5,834 posts, read 6,914,857 times
These laws have become rediculous. First they are sexist in nature, for the most part they are used against boys. Kids in thier teens are going to have sex, they ALWAYS have. It is not right, it is not moral, but no one should have thier life ruined by the law for having sex with someone one two or three years younger than them. The current generation of children are having law enforcement used against them at an unprecidented level. For example a great many of them have MIPs (minor in possesion) on thier record, strick drunk driving laws have caught up with even more of them. ( Im sure none of us ever had a beer or two and drove home 20-30 years ago) These statutory rape laws are the most damaging. They will ruin the life of a boy, making it impossible for him to ever support himself. We are going to have a whole generation that will carry criminal records for things thier parents and grandparents did without consequence. That is not right, and one day when they cannot find jobs, join the military, they will lash out at society. Those who are backed into a corner, cannot support themselves because of a record, will turn to REAL crime to survive.

Old 02-19-2010, 04:43 AM

24,692 posts, read 26,777,106 times
Default A classic example of Problem. Reaction. Solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zendrive View Post
I was horrified the other day listening to the Bill Handel show regarding the case of Ricky Blackman. His crime? Having sex at 16 years old with a girl he presumed to be 15.

It turns out, she was 13. He was convicted in the courts and ended up having to register as a sex offender.

I think this is a cautionary tale for the unintended consequences of our laws and how they are interpreted. From what I have read, Ricky's case has been reviewed and he no longer has to register as a sex offender, but his life will never be the same.

Ricky's Mom, Mary Duval, was interviewed during Bill Handel's show and it really has to be heard to gain some context into the destruction this ordeal caused Ricky and his family, but I am curious to hear other thoughts on this issue.

A link to the show can be found here KFI AM 640 THE BILL HANDEL SHOW (http://www.kfi640.com/podcast/TheBillHandelShow.xml - broken link)
I see this as rather Orwellian (a-la "sexcrime"). I don't think the consequences were unintended. It's just that the real intent was hidden.

It's the classic method the power elite uses to get more control over peoples' lives:

Problem. Reaction. Solution.

This problem was created by the deliberate general desensitization of sex in our society, which encouraged the breakdown of the family unit, which led to more young people being unsupervised by parents, which makes them more likely to engage in sex at young ages and more vulnerable to sexual predators.

Once you get that problem going, you get the reaction. People reacted and wanted something done about sexual predators. So laws got strengthened. Inevitably, the laws are applied more and more broadly to more and more people over time.

Then we got the solution....stricter laws....which means the state has more and more control over more and more people....which was the true intent all along.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:25 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,538,721 times
I suppose my first girlfriend (lover) should have been labeled a "sex offender" for seducing (giggle) me when I was in my early teens. I am glad she did because I can remember the incidents (grinning) almost 50 years later.

IMHO an underage teen having sex with another underage teen is no cause for sex offender charges unless there was force involved. Then the charge is rape.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:33 AM

530 posts, read 663,286 times
IMO sometimes boys get the short end of the stick so to speak. It says in the OP the boy is 16 and belived the girl was 15....what was he supposed to do? I had a teen family member who was around 14 when her mother asked me to move in with them to help keep an eye on her b/c she was getting more and more out of control. Her and her little group of gf that were the same age looked much older thatn they really were and they had a favorite "line" they used on guys that were a little older and asked their age that line "how old do you want me to be?" Follwed with a giggle and some cleavage flashes....

Old 02-19-2010, 07:58 AM

12,925 posts, read 24,048,548 times
This almost reminds me of that kid in Georgia who spent 10 years in jail becaue of teen sex....finally Ga released him.What do these law makers think!! Good grief...
Over kill at the least...and the boy thought she was 15.....I've seen 13 yo teen girls that between the make up and dress look like 20 something hoochie mamas

teen sex is not going away...not that i condone it..it's just it is what it is..on a side note just read that teen pregnancy is on the up swing

Old 02-19-2010, 08:44 AM

7,376 posts, read 12,524,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
It should not surprise us anymore that the U.S. is grooming sexual predators/offenders at an early age --- afterall, everywhere they turn fornication and adultery are promoted as a viable favorite pastime in conjunction with the demeaning views of women that accompany it. The 16 year old boy AND girl were sex offenders because sexual immorality before marriage is sexual deviance ... but we all knew that inherently ; its just that most of us became so desensitized to it that its now looked upon as the norm .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or