U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 03:06 PM

44,067 posts, read 42,372,199 times

Advertisements

This forum is one of the few places where I make my stance known on many of my political views. Last night I got into a discussion about politics and I turned to a source I usually turn to for proof: The internet. Guess what? My source was doubted. It was a discussion about Reagan and why I don't think Reagan would have been a good president. I had one particular bone to pick. When I showed the source, it was basically doubted, despite the fact that I have also read this in history books. Does anyone know any neutral sources on politicians? I need to find a neutral one that will look at what a candidate stood for and against, rather than debating whether or not said politician was a good politician.? I need to know because most likely, one might pull out Anne Coulter or Rush Limbaugh. Personally, I don't trust any of them as neutral sources because I know where they stand and I find them very biased. I also know that no one will trust a source that is determined to be from the left. I need to find something neutral and has cited sources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 03:33 PM

8,293 posts, read 22,212,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
This forum is one of the few places where I make my stance known on many of my political views. Last night I got into a discussion about politics and I turned to a source I usually turn to for proof: The internet. Guess what? My source was doubted. It was a discussion about Reagan and why I don't think Reagan would have been a good president. I had one particular bone to pick. When I showed the source, it was basically doubted, despite the fact that I have also read this in history books. Does anyone know any neutral sources on politicians? I need to find a neutral one that will look at what a candidate stood for and against, rather than debating whether or not said politician was a good politician.? I need to know because most likely, one might pull out Anne Coulter or Rush Limbaugh. Personally, I don't trust any of them as neutral sources because I know where they stand and I find them very biased. I also know that no one will trust a source that is determined to be from the left. I need to find something neutral and has cited sources.
Bottom line? No, there are none. Period.

The dangerous thing is that while everybody knows that people like Limbaugh and Coulter are partisan blow-hard hacks, there are "newsmen" who are just as biased, but don't admit it.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:37 PM

24,889 posts, read 20,023,395 times
The best thing to do, if this is for a research paper of some kind, is to look at the sites sources. The credible sites usually list their source for information. Then, you can probably go to your local library, and check out the book.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:16 PM

2,652 posts, read 7,581,907 times
I think the main issue is trying to prove/attack/justify a politicians beliefs. It's much easier to attack their track record, accomplishments while in office, etc. Things that are hard line facts are easy to backup with sources and statistics. The internet will always be laughed at when quoting as a source, even though it is just as credible as anything on TV...

Old 02-17-2010, 10:25 PM

2,383 posts, read 5,354,358 times
Not sure of a credible source off of the top of my head, but please, PLEASE do not ever cite or quote Wikipedia!!! That is the one web site that when people use it as their source, I realize they haven't done any research!

Old 02-18-2010, 12:08 AM

6,652 posts, read 7,035,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Dig deeper, politicians get way too much credit or blame. Presidents live and die by the times they are in. Reagan would have been a one termer in 1976, Carter would be a hero if he started out in 1980, Clinton would have been gone if he started in 2004. People drive the economy, politicians tinker on the margins, some more than others.
Look beyond politics, especially personality politics. Cycles are much more important.
[SIZE=2] 
[/SIZE]

Old 02-18-2010, 12:36 AM

31,385 posts, read 30,664,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcgal View Post
Not sure of a credible source off of the top of my head, but please, PLEASE do not ever cite or quote Wikipedia!!! That is the one web site that when people use it as their source, I realize they haven't done any research!
Wiki is a fine source for overall views and small details, as long as you check the source material that the article references to.

As for the internet as a whole, there are tons of credible sources on the internet particularly win the case of government records, studies, cases, and statistics.

As a rule, I always, double and some times tripple check source material, I check the authors credentials and go from there.

This is an informal discussion, writing responses as if it were a research paper (much less a dissertation) is a total waste of time to begin with and frankly it won't matter what your sources is, most of your critics will either ignore or deride it regardless.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:22 AM

24,889 posts, read 20,023,395 times
factcheck.org is quite a good site. I've never found them to be wrong, and when they are on a ify issue, they'll generally update it later.

They are independent from either party, hell, one of Reagans best friends started it. I know Republicans don't like it, because its usually critical of them (and it should be). However, it can be pretty hard on the Dems to.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:10 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,755,426 times
i agree with you reagan was a scumbag.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:57 AM

968 posts, read 2,066,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
factcheck.org is quite a good site. I've never found them to be wrong, and when they are on a ify issue, they'll generally update it later.

They are independent from either party, hell, one of Reagans best friends started it. I know Republicans don't like it, because its usually critical of them (and it should be). However, it can be pretty hard on the Dems to.
i really like factcheck.org as well, i'm a conservative and its funny how i proved a democratic friend wrong with the site, then he turned around and proved me wrong on another subject with the very same site, (stupid me for showing it to him)

but no, it was all in good fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or