Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 07:12 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I like the way your mind works.

Why jtur88 almost had me convinced i am a rapist since I have the tools... That all women, err well I need not go there.

I do have the components to make a bomb, but have no intent to use them other than fire my flintlocks which is quite legal. I fear by the nature of my work I could be accused of making a bomb for the other parts lay about, again no intent. These other items come in the trades as mechanic machine builder, back woods dweller with a garden and etc.

Zazi had the bomb he made and it didn't even have to function to break the law, so yes thinking about intent to preform a crime and gathering the parts to build one is a crime, and he should be executed rather than be cared for till he dies of natural causes.

We have freedom of speech too, but go to a movie theater and screem FIRE or BOMB and see just how free you are to do that? You will be cuffed and led away tried and found GUILTY as charged... say bye bye...
If you clearly have the making of a bomb then you can be convicted . But it take more than just the elements. Combine that a devise to set it off and a continer made to hold it ahd klet it be known .you have visitors. Its happened before when people bragged. I just hope you are with the limits o such thiogns as balck powder under federal law and don't keep firing caps and foolishly make pipe containers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 08:22 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
OK, let's gett to the bottom of this. Multiple choice:

___1. People should always be arrested for planning to commit a crime, whether they commit it or not.

___2. Nobody should be arrested for planning to commit a crime if they do not actually commit a crime.

___3. Depends on how bored the cops are.

___4. Depends on whether you are a white male or not.

An example of number 1 could be the following. I'm with a friend, and he says he'll run into the supermarket deli and bring us a roasted chicken, and pay for it with food stamps. I say OK, and wait in the car. We didn't know that hot ready to eat items in the deli are not eligible for food stamp purchases, but ignorance of the law is no excuse for crime*. Therefore, he planned, and we conspired, to defraud the USDA by using food stamps illegally. That makes me guilty, as a conspirator, and I ought to be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. You cannot willy-nilly prosecute some people and not others for the same crime. It's either a crime or it's not.

-------------
* Ignorance of the law is no excuse for crime, in spite of the fact that in almost every Supreme Court case, some of the justices are ignorant of the law and write a minority opinion to prove it.

Last edited by jtur88; 02-25-2010 at 08:34 PM..

Old 02-25-2010, 10:28 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,352,222 times
'Cleric John Preston , you are hereby placed under arrest for the crime of sense offense'

Old 02-26-2010, 10:56 AM

78,367 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
OK, let's gett to the bottom of this. Multiple choice:

___1. People should always be arrested for planning to commit a crime, whether they commit it or not.

___2. Nobody should be arrested for planning to commit a crime if they do not actually commit a crime.

___3. Depends on how bored the cops are.

___4. Depends on whether you are a white male or not.

An example of number 1 could be the following. I'm with a friend, and he says he'll run into the supermarket deli and bring us a roasted chicken, and pay for it with food stamps. I say OK, and wait in the car. We didn't know that hot ready to eat items in the deli are not eligible for food stamp purchases, but ignorance of the law is no excuse for crime*. Therefore, he planned, and we conspired, to defraud the USDA by using food stamps illegally. That makes me guilty, as a conspirator, and I ought to be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. You cannot willy-nilly prosecute some people and not others for the same crime. It's either a crime or it's not.

-------------
* Ignorance of the law is no excuse for crime, in spite of the fact that in almost every Supreme Court case, some of the justices are ignorant of the law and write a minority opinion to prove it.
You are just hand waving now.
Let's face it, you are just upset that the guy got stopped prior to committing a successful attack.

Otherwise, you would be championing the cause of the guy in the link below.

Bond Set for Man Accused of Trying to Hire Killer

Consipracy to commit murder, even though the wife wasn't harmed at all.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You are just hand waving now.
Let's face it, you are just upset that the guy got stopped prior to committing a successful attack.
Are we talking about the same person? The one I'm referring to voluntarily chose to stop himself before committing a successful attack, or even attempting one. A reconsideration for which he was rewarded by a life sentence without parole.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:50 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
If you clearly have the making of a bomb then you can be convicted . But it take more than just the elements. Combine that a devise to set it off and a continer made to hold it ahd klet it be known .you have visitors. Its happened before when people bragged. I just hope you are with the limits o such thiogns as balck powder under federal law and don't keep firing caps and foolishly make pipe containers.

LOL I am 58 years old and have been shooting black powder guns since 1972. Since 1984 I have been in clubs for the same and became a Buck Skinner which is a modern day would be American Fur Trrade brigade Trapper mimicing life of 1805 to 1839 fur trappers.

Some years back I bought a gun bronze cannon a smaller one only 26 inches long and it can be used of several different mounts. It can shoot live rounds loaded the old way, and i can to to the sporting goods store any day i want and buy up to 25 pounds of black powder legally, no papers no questions asked.

I feed 4 flintlocks and 2 cap and ball six shooters with real black powder.

I store most of the powder in the cans it comes in, GOEX cans, and then in use in powder horns made from cow horns just like was done back then.

Since I am a mechanic and a rural one at that I have pipe and threaded caps to fit pipe, and I have cannon fuse, all of which is legal unless I were to become a terror threat. The only difference i guess is intent.

I have never once made a pipe bomb, and never plan to try. It isn't with in the scope of a buck skinner/ historical reenactor of the French and Indian War. However I have made tennis ball grenades and launched them from reproduction mortars in plain view of the public at places like Ft Ticondergoa to demonstrate what a mortar could do.

Then there is no enemey other than a man in uniform painted on a sheet of plywood. I have participated in a good many battles at that fort and other forts where other people are indeed the enemy, but we use blanks and have rules about the use of ram rods, so no one gets harpooned.

So since 1984 or so to date I have had access to all the parts, and haven't so much as burned anyone but for me, and when I have burned myself it is from shooting a right hand made flintlock lefty because I am.

I do hear ya though, but your criteria is a bit looser than it might be.

For the past 3 years or so I have entertained making my own supply of black powder, because the prices are on the up and I have always wanted to know how to do every single job there was back then with a hands on feel. I don't know them all, haven't master most, but I can and do some well.

At this point I can start fire with no store bought tools of any kind, not even buying a rusty old file from a yard sale. I can dress myself from head to toe and my wife. I can make many assorted items from bark and wood no metal canteen to a knife from a file. I have made gun parts and combined them to be flint locks from scratch.

I want to build a bark canoe, and a wooden keg, but haven't got there yet, like with the home made powder, which infact if and when I do could be better powder than I can buy for any price or atleast as good as Swiss Made powder. None of this is illegal.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:56 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
Was thinking.. Any farmer with a garden, and he has wood chucks, a flash light that takes batteries, and a clock, could be convicted for having every part of a bomb.. You see these rules are too vauge... Any such farmer would have every item whether or not he intended to do so. Just sayin'

Old 02-26-2010, 03:53 PM

78,367 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Are we talking about the same person? The one I'm referring to voluntarily chose to stop himself before committing a successful attack, or even attempting one. A reconsideration for which he was rewarded by a life sentence without parole.
He postponed the attack because he thought he was under surveilance.

He did attempt an attack, got all the way to NY on the first attempt and had he not been pulled over would have gone through with it.

I know you are intentionally avoiding the comment, so again....solicitiation to commit murder is a crime. Just TRYING to get someone to kill someone else will get you 10years in jail.

That's all, case closed. I'm content with you holding your views and I will hold my own.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
...solicitiation to commit murder is a crime. Just TRYING to get someone to kill someone else will get you 10years in jail.

That's all, case closed. I'm content with you holding your views and I will hold my own.
If solicitation to commit murder is a crime (which it is), then it is not Zazi who committed the crime, but the people who solicited him to commit murder. Zazi, as far as I know, did not solicit anyone to commit any murder on his behalf. Solicitation is more than just a conspiracy.

Until you are apppointed moderator, you don't get to close discussisons just because somebody disagrees with you.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:40 AM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Was thinking.. Any farmer with a garden, and he has wood chucks, a flash light that takes batteries, and a clock, could be convicted for having every part of a bomb.. You see these rules are too vauge... Any such farmer would have every item whether or not he intended to do so. Just sayin'
I'm trying to figure out how you make a bomb out a woodchuck, batteries, and a clock... Put the batteries ...here... tie the clock around the neck... Nope, still don't get it.

Bottom line is selective enforcement of laws happens all the time at all levels. If you tend to be absolute and legalistic in your thinking, you might tend to ignore that reality. Johnny, son of the mayor, breaks a window. The cop takes him aside and the issue is resolved. Jimmy, son of the local drug dealer does the same thing and is put into juvi hall and taken from his parents. The traffic cop sits by the side of the road, looking at all the speeders, then focuses on the guy in the red corvette. Stuff happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates