Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 02:43 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,546,566 times

Advertisements

Perhaps those of you who think you know so much about Facebook need to check out the sites of people who are not your friends there, and see just how much info is available . Some permit a lot more than others do. As for the administration, I trust them in the same way that I trust the folk at the bank that I have my account with. I do not chose to spend my life in a state of paranoia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 06:13 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
Perhaps those of you who think you know so much about Facebook need to check out the sites of people who are not your friends there, and see just how much info is available . Some permit a lot more than others do. As for the administration, I trust them in the same way that I trust the folk at the bank that I have my account with. I do not chose to spend my life in a state of paranoia.
Ummm...I think the info bit is common knowledge. No one here has disputed that. From what I've observed, people on this thread are not concerned about what information people who are not even their friends are sharing (or not sharing). It's pretty common knowledge that in order for non-friends to see a lot of your info, you have to manually go in and change several settings.

I have known people who had very private settings- still got their account hacked. Still had crazy ex's (who were not their friends on facebook) manage to find their friends list and cause social havoc and other ridiculous things I won't mention.

I don't think anyone on this thread has shown that they live in a state of paranoia. We're raising questions and concerns about how, even with all those private settings, your info is still at risk. And in this thread we are talking about FB, not how we're at risk using our checks or credit cards or whatever else. The dialogue about how to safely engage in social networking sites is a very useful one. For all ages.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:48 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Mine's public--I don't care who sees it.

However, I've had people ask to be my friend on Facebook without having friends in common, or any other indication where I should know them from. I've asked those two or three people why I should add them as a friend--and they have yet to answer. Thus, they don't get added.

I might even consider it if their only reasoning is that we play the same app. But I know everyone of my Facebook friends from somewhere else. Either from school, or from another website (that particular one I've talked to on the phone, but she lives on the other side of the country).

Old 03-09-2010, 07:36 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,546,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Mine's public--I don't care who sees it.

However, I've had people ask to be my friend on Facebook without having friends in common, or any other indication where I should know them from. I've asked those two or three people why I should add them as a friend--and they have yet to answer. Thus, they don't get added.

I might even consider it if their only reasoning is that we play the same app. But I know everyone of my Facebook friends from somewhere else. Either from school, or from another website (that particular one I've talked to on the phone, but she lives on the other side of the country).

This is my way of doing it. I have accepted some that I do not know, and that have no mutual froends, and I have removed most of them because they ended up not being what I want. Some just like to rack up a hugh amount of 'friends' on their list.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:36 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,379,514 times
I took a look at my list of FB friends and they are:
family/inlaws - 23
friends who were former colleagues - 18
expats I know in person but met online- 4
expats I've known online for 6 - 8 years - 8
online friends from various forums that I've known a year or longer - 3
volunteers I knew in Africa - 4
Ugandan friends - 2
high school - 1

Old 03-09-2010, 12:57 PM

20 posts, read 54,054 times
I have used FB forever it seems like now, I have reconnected with many classmates, and that is how we have planned our class reunion infact. I have had a lot of people request to be my friend from high school that i have denied, but i like having that option, just because i went to school with you and you knew me then, doesnt mean i liked you then, or does it mean i want to know you again now, not trying to be mean, but a lot of people on FB try to have the most friends or whatever, i actually like to "know" who is my friend on there. I have my pictures set so that only my friends can view them, and yes you have to go through and change your settings now on everything. But I am ok with that.

I like FB way better than Myspace, it was getting to the point every time i opened myspace my computer was shutting down....
I play the games on FB, just for fun, so does my mom, it has become friendly competition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates