U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 01:40 PM

1,779 posts, read 2,037,515 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone else feels that taxes are immoral? I think they are. Here is why. Yes, taxes pay for certain things. Like; fixing roads, military, police, hospitals, and other needed things. But taxes also pay for; Politicains new car, house, yacht, vacation, and welfare.

I dont have a problem paying for somethings. But I work hard for my money, why should I give it to the Government who has as of late done nothing to help me? My taxes go to another city to fix their roads because that is where the majority of the voters are. My taxes go to pay for the politicians wages and they havent earned that as far as I am concerned.

Think about it, we get taxed on every level. From our paychecks, when we put them in the bank. When we buy groceries, when we invest it. Our money is taxed at all times. This is ridiculous, I have earned that money, the government needs to do the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 03:46 PM

5,767 posts, read 10,027,624 times
Well, you earned the money inside of a very finely-tuned legal and civic system which was built up over several centuries using a great deal of government money. For instance, if you get paid by a company, that company relies on the court system to enforce contracts. And so on.

So, there's really no way to divorce what you have done "on your own" from what you have only been able to accomplish as a result of having access to the entire system of laws and infrastructure and the educated workforce of this country.

Which is to say, would you have done as well if you had done the same work somewhere like Somalia with minimal taxing authorities?

Old 02-26-2010, 04:10 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,755,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fractured_kidult View Post
I was wondering if anyone else feels that taxes are immoral? I think they are. Here is why. Yes, taxes pay for certain things. Like; fixing roads, military, police, hospitals, and other needed things. But taxes also pay for; Politicains new car, house, yacht, vacation, and welfare.

I dont have a problem paying for somethings. But I work hard for my money, why should I give it to the Government who has as of late done nothing to help me? My taxes go to another city to fix their roads because that is where the majority of the voters are. My taxes go to pay for the politicians wages and they havent earned that as far as I am concerned.

Think about it, we get taxed on every level. From our paychecks, when we put them in the bank. When we buy groceries, when we invest it. Our money is taxed at all times. This is ridiculous, I have earned that money, the government needs to do the same.
That is why I believe in the Fair Tax system some people propose. In my opinion it would get rid of the expensive and intrusive IRS system.

The Founding Fathers designed a Constitution for the government to tax on few and areas but through the years it has become a huge monster that has no satisfaction and keeps taxins us on anything they can.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 02-26-2010, 06:26 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,030,761 times
No as it takes taxes to insure things like perverts and murders are not allowed to run free.Cut offf people water ;elctricity and gas letting people fend for themselfs at the highest bidders gets it and see how they scream.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:56 PM

4,204 posts, read 5,471,444 times
Quote:

That's the price you pay for living in a civilized society. No taxes means no civilization, see?

Old 02-26-2010, 08:50 PM

768 posts, read 933,384 times
I can understand why the OP would think taxes are immoral. Aside from the fact that taxes are theft, taxation is also immoral when paying taxes hinders one from their other, dare I say, more important duties. Food on the table, gas in the vehicle, rent, medicine, etc., come way before taxes on the list of priorities. Anything that keeps people from taking care of themselves and their families is immoral.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:57 PM

768 posts, read 933,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Well, you earned the money inside of a very finely-tuned legal and civic system which was built up over several centuries using a great deal of government money. For instance, if you get paid by a company, that company relies on the court system to enforce contracts.
Finely -tuned legal system? You are joking, right? And are you implying that when a company relies on the court system to enforce a contract that there is no court fees that the losing party pays and therefore the court costs come directly from our taxes?

Old 02-26-2010, 08:59 PM

2,756 posts, read 5,260,758 times
I understand and empathize with your frustration, but since you admit that you don't mind paying taxes for things like police and military and infrastructure improvement, but DO mind paying for politico's new toys and houses, what you really mean--to me at least--is that the problem here lies not with us citizens being taxed but the way in which they are spent. So instead of calling taxes immoral, let's just call these greedy, corrupt politicians who squander our taxes immoral. See, it's not the system so much as it's the people who are manipulating the system. I find it outrageous when a U.S. congressman leaves office with far more money in his bank account than when he entered it. Why is this tolerated? Of course, you should be aware that it's actually the lobbyists and special interest groups who lavish the "new car, house, yacht, vacation" on the politicians, and not embezzled taxes. Very few congressmen could get away with mis-appropriating taxes for their own gain. The system just doesn't work that way. It's corporate influence on these guys that needs to be reigned in.

Old 02-27-2010, 01:32 AM

24,723 posts, read 26,794,844 times
Quote:

I don't think taxes are inherently immoral in theory. It's possible to be a high tax country and yet provide top notch public services in return. The Scandinavian countries seem to be a good example of this. High taxes but low corruption. And their governments seem flexible and much more willing to change course when they see things going awry. Those countries are also small and easier to manage. They also tend to not to have such wide disparities in thinking, so that makes it easier to build consensus (although maybe that is changing with all the Muslims moving to places like Sweden).

Contrast that with the US...A lot of times the money is wasted, either from outright corruption, or from continually doing things in the same old outmoded and inefficient way that doesn't change until there is some horrible crisis (Medicare & Medicaid are perfect examples of this).

Also, a large country like the US is much harder to manage and a diverse population means there are lots of disparate groups that will never see eye to eye on a lot of things.

In theory, high taxes can be a good thing. In practice, in a place like the US, they almost never are, especially at the Federal level, where corruption and inefficiency are easy to hide.

Old 02-27-2010, 01:43 AM

24,723 posts, read 26,794,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
See, it's not the system so much as it's the people who are manipulating the system.
I disagree. It IS the system. More specifically, it's the system design. The system was NOT designed for the government to be doing all the things it does....which is why it's so easily manipulated.

The Founding Fathers wanted a small and inefficient government because they understood that a government that was large and effcicient was almost always a tryrannical one. Unfortunately, that mode of thinking is lost in most of the so-called Western democracies today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or