U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 04:25 PM

4,563 posts, read 2,555,681 times

Advertisements

I would NOT want a stoner for a coworker.

This issue should be addressed strictly at the state level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 04:46 PM

2,466 posts, read 696,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post

If by "stoner" you mean someone who uses cannabis, then you already have many coworkers that are "stoners". You just don't know it because most of them are completely indistinguishable from non-users.

Old 12-23-2018, 03:13 PM

28,535 posts, read 43,916,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post

But the real question is: How do you define a "stoner?" Because drug testing doesn't just catch "stoners," it also catches someone who used cannabis a few times within the last ~30 days. And if you define that as a stoner, you also need to call anyone who's had a few beers this month a "drunk." It would only be fair!

And as Raddo said above, you likely already do work with cannabis users. I know I do (with or without including myself), and they/we work just as hard as anyone else here... in fact, you'd be LUCKY to work with some of the "users" I know.

Old 12-23-2018, 03:18 PM

28,535 posts, read 43,916,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGuitarist View Post
In most states where it's available as either and both recreational and medical, it is in process of being removed from testing. If it isn't removed already. With the exception of heavy machinery use, driving for cities and states, and jobs requiring you to be armed.
I live and work in one of those states (California), and even before it was fully legal, very few employers around here did pre-employment testing. As you said, it's mostly restricted to jobs involving heavy machinery or driving/flying... I work in a profession that includes neither, and haven't once been required to take a drug test.

Old 12-24-2018, 09:57 AM

7,288 posts, read 1,775,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I live and work in one of those states (California), and even before it was fully legal, very few employers around here did pre-employment testing. As you said, it's mostly restricted to jobs involving heavy machinery or driving/flying... I work in a profession that includes neither, and haven't once been required to take a drug test.
CA actually has some very good laws on pre-employment testing, what they can and cannot test or ask for. This includes criminal history I believe, if you look at job applications where it asks if you have ever committed a crime, in tiny lettering, it says CA residents do not have to answer this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or