U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 06:54 PM

4,211 posts, read 5,533,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I work in heavy industry and am glad they screen for alcohol and drugs. MJ causes people to be much less alert, when they come down. I cringed 20 years ago about my safety when working with the operators who smoked heavily on their off time.
Yeah, I work in heavy industry too and know what you mean. Drugs aren't that big of a problem (everyone has a CDL and testing is pretty regular) but testing for alcohol isn't done that much. I never could understand how some folks go out and have a bowl or some beers at lunch- I could never function the few times I did it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 07:09 PM

6,652 posts, read 7,182,874 times
I would like to require some people to be stoned at work; they might be more pleasant to deal with.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:27 AM

15,908 posts, read 9,771,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
In todays society we all know that drug screening (when jobs return) is an important part of the hiring process. With all the serious drugs such as heroine, crack, meth, etc. I would pre-screen too. Now alcohol is much more harmful than marijuana. Nobody tests for that. With the recent decriminalization of marijuana (not in all states) it should be removed from the list of drug test failures. Same rules would apply as with alcohol... 21 and older, not at work, etc. What do you think?

This link explains everything I already know. I'm a long time marijuana consumer... now age 40.

Reliable information about marijuana and its effects based on research and science, not disinformation and propaganda.

Myths and Facts About Marijuana

I agree with you 100%!!!!! I can understand the screening for certain industries, such as airline pilots, bus drivers, ect... but other than that what people do in their off time, and as long as they aren't a danger to others is there business. I would not however condone the legalization of cocaine, heroin, or meth. Very dangerous, and very addictive! Never tried them, never had the urge either.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:54 PM

874 posts, read 2,437,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkin about it View Post
This is one of the reasons why I moved towards self-employment. The fact that an employer will literally shake your pee in front of you to see if you've been having fun on the weekends is the last straw for the thinking man who respects himself. At that point you are just a piece of property; a piece of meat. You're barely even a man. What you do on the weekends is now in question.

As per marijuana specifically, that's a whole new level of stupid. The fact that the most harmless way to expand ones consciousness is illegal and may preclude people from employment speaks to the level of stupidity and Corporatism that is The United States.
I find it amusing that people find that laughing at things that simply are not funny and then becoming hungry and tired when the "idiot" effect wears off is actually "expanding one's consciousness". I am sure a good number of people that use heroine, cocaine, acid, meth, pain killers and a plethora of other drugs will tell you that these drugs are harmlessly expanding their conscience as well.

I also enjoy the comparison to alcohol and tobacco when discussing legalizing other drugs. The major difference is that alcohol has been accepted in nearly every society long before this country was in existence so to just up and make it illegal is not an easy thing to do. If alcohol was something that just came out in the past few years and never existed before you can bet that it would be illegal. As far as cigarettes go, although they are not good for you, they do not cloud your judgement or interfere with a person's normal thought process. Just as with alcohol, if tobacco had only been around for a few years it would be illegal as well.

I am actually of the opinion that both tobacco and alcohol should be fazed out and made illegal. How? If the legal age to drink is now 21, change it to 22, the next year to 23, the following year to 24, etc. This way you are not taking it away from people who can legally drink one day and telling them they can't the next. You are simply stopping those who are currently not legally allowed to drink alcohol from being able to legally. The same can be done regarding cigarettes. Why will this not happen? I believe this does not happen due to the amount of money these substances generate for the economy as well as for the government in the form of taxes.

I do not know if anyone posting here knows any hardcore drug abusers that use the "bad" drugs such as heroine, cocaine, etc. that they have known since an early age. I actually know people that I grew up with that became hardcore drug abusers and all of the ones I know did in fact start off smoking marijuana. The majority of the ones I know started using the other drugs while smoking marijuana-take a hit of a joint, then do a line of cocaine, etc. Is marijuana always the stepping stone to harder drugs? Of course not; although sometimes it is. The "sometimes" is enough to keep it illegal in my opinion.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:18 PM

6,474 posts, read 13,542,525 times
Wow, why not just make EVERYTHING illegal. sigh.

We already have too many laws.

IMO, job screening is fine. If you love a certain drug so much that you can't stop using it daily even though it's illegal, if I were going to employ you...that would be a problem. As a 40 year smoker, you know most of the tests are a joke, anyway. Personally, I say legalize it. The world is full of real problems.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:29 PM

2,652 posts, read 7,684,324 times
One could probably argue, successfully, that a lifetime of ADHD medication is probably more harmful than smoking pot a few times a month.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:50 PM

3,966 posts, read 9,222,321 times
Come to Arizona and they don't test anyway. No need to exclude it.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:12 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,811,922 times
I do not thnik it should be excempt. There are studies which is why there is a DUI that includes marijuana. besides its really upto the employer since he/she is responsible for alot when a person does at work for them.T hat is why drug polices are determined by the employers as well as actions . I think they have every right to want a sober work force not stimulated by any drug that impair judgement.You want facts then find them yourself as states have debated this in DUI laws and taken expert testimony. In the end in employment there is no debate as employers have been held resonsible for a reason caution to the public safety besides safety of people they work with.I say you look up the case law in civil actions.its well documneted by case law.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:15 PM

613 posts, read 978,367 times
I absolutely believe marijuana should be part of screening. It's a drug just like any other. It sucks that so many companies have to screen these days,, but that's because half the world seems to be addicted to something.... and that sucks even more. I have ZERO patience for working with potheads...... they say it mellows them out, but then when they don't have it,, they go freaking mad. Irritable, unstable, etc.. they are a mess if they can't get their fix. And when they do, they're always disappearing to do it. Also don't tell me you can concentrate and do a good job when you're high. The safety of others is often an issue.. or just being alert enough to do a good job,, which is what your non-high co-workers are trying to do. If folks did it once in a while,, then sure, not a big deal. But people can't seem to do anything now & then, they have to get addicted to it. Can't anyone get through one day anymore without getting stoned, drunk or high..?? It's really getting old.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:45 PM

10,127 posts, read 10,768,303 times
I'm surprised to see many of these responses.

In my view, the off-duty, off-premises behavior of an employee, or potential employee, is of no legitimate concern to the employer unless it affects his/her job performance. Consequently, I don't think any employer has any right to screen employees or applicants for any drugs, legal or illegal.

If the employee is not performing adequately, whether it's because of drug use or any other reason, they can be fired for their poor performance. If the employee is performing adequately it doesn't matter what they do in their off time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or