Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 03:30 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,792,762 times

Advertisements

In todays society we all know that drug screening (when jobs return) is an important part of the hiring process. With all the serious drugs such as heroine, crack, meth, etc. I would pre-screen too. Now alcohol is much more harmful than marijuana. Nobody tests for that. With the recent decriminalization of marijuana (not in all states) it should be removed from the list of drug test failures. Same rules would apply as with alcohol... 21 and older, not at work, etc. What do you think?

This link explains everything I already know. I'm a long time marijuana consumer... now age 40.

Reliable information about marijuana and its effects based on research and science, not disinformation and propaganda.

Myths and Facts About Marijuana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 03:37 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
The issue with marijuana is it's a concealer for other drugs. That's why it's a banned substance in many sporting leagues and the Olympics -- not because they're concerned that marijuana is a performance enhancer but because it throws off the test for substances that are performance enhancers.

Even if it weren't, the fact is a company can't be too careful when it comes to liability these days.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:41 PM

45,373 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Is marijuana illegal?

Is alcohol?

The answers to those two questions answers your question.

Some jobs do screen for alcohol: bus drivers, airline pilots I know off the top of my head. When I was in Flight School (USN) we had a random screen and I was counseled about my positive alcohol reading, as were a few others in my class.

Thought of another one: railroads used to screen for alcohol at the employment physical and are still required to do a drug/alcohol test within two hours of any accident. That includes not only the train crew but any office personnel involved with that train's movement. Those are Federal rules.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:42 PM

768 posts, read 942,631 times
This is one of the reasons why I moved towards self-employment. The fact that an employer will literally shake your pee in front of you to see if you've been having fun on the weekends is the last straw for the thinking man who respects himself. At that point you are just a piece of property; a piece of meat. You're barely even a man. What you do on the weekends is now in question.

As per marijuana specifically, that's a whole new level of stupid. The fact that the most harmless way to expand ones consciousness is illegal and may preclude people from employment speaks to the level of stupidity and Corporatism that is The United States.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:48 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
If you are going to screen for drug use, screen for all drugs that one could possibly use. What is the use in having a test if it doesn't test all drugs??

Old 03-03-2010, 04:40 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,635,426 times
The general trend among employers over time has been to drop or reduce the number of drug tests they conduct, except in areas where drug-testing is required by law or insurance.

In many cases, drug screening is simply not cost effective, or necessary. It costs a lot of money to have all those specimens collected and then tested. And there is little evidence for many jobs that drug-testing actually makes a difference in terms of employee performance.

The drug-testing industry has tried to fight back by making testing mandatory for as many positions and purposes as possible, but in general, it is something that private employers have been backing away from since its peak a few years ago.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Is marijuana illegal?

Is alcohol?

Some jobs do screen for alcohol: bus drivers, airline pilots I know off the top of my head. When I was in Flight School (USN) we had a random screen and I was counseled about my positive alcohol reading, as were a few others in my class.

Thought of another one: railroads used to screen for alcohol at the employment physical and are still required to do a drug/alcohol test within two hours of any accident. That includes not only the train crew but any office personnel involved with that train's movement. Those are Federal rules.
Yea, no kidding. You're talking about direct responsibility for hundreds of other people. Due to recent activity bus drivers, pilots, railroad personnel should be be scrutinized. The majority in the job market are NOT responsible for hundreds of other people. Get real.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
If you are going to screen for drug use, screen for all drugs that one could possibly use. What is the use in having a test if it doesn't test all drugs??
Obviously, you didn't read or possibly understand my header. Test for everything. Just exclude marijuana as a "fail".

Old 03-03-2010, 05:01 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,224,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Is marijuana illegal?

Is alcohol?

If i ran the world, a positive for alcohol would be grounds for discipline or dismissal, especially in Flight School. Legal substance or not, it causes way more harm than pot.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:05 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
I work in heavy industry and am glad they screen for alcohol and drugs. MJ causes people to be much less alert, when they come down. I cringed 20 years ago about my safety when working with the operators who smoked heavily on their off time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates