Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 07:55 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,615,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egobop View Post

I do not know if anyone posting here knows any hardcore drug abusers that use the "bad" drugs such as heroine, cocaine, etc. that they have known since an early age. I actually know people that I grew up with that became hardcore drug abusers and all of the ones I know did in fact start off smoking marijuana. The majority of the ones I know started using the other drugs while smoking marijuana-take a hit of a joint, then do a line of cocaine, etc. Is marijuana always the stepping stone to harder drugs? Of course not; although sometimes it is. The "sometimes" is enough to keep it illegal in my opinion.
I was a nurse in the psychiatric field. Always,I found the overwhelming majority of hard core drug users started with booze. Not marijuana
I agree that no one should be stoned doing any job, but smoking a joint on a saturday nite at home and losing your job over it ?-not right.
There is little consistency in the laws, so the comment calling marijuana users "criminals" is untrue. In some states, you are allowed to have a certain amount, in others, that same amount will land you in prison.
In other states, you can buy it legally for your "bad back".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 08:11 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,792,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I love the stereotyping going on that all people that smoke pot are pot heads, and are so irresponsible that they all come to work high. Sure it happens, and the ones that do obviously have no common sense! I would say the same for anyone that drinks on the job, or drinks and then drives! I also love how pot is considered the "gateway drug." If you think about it, cigarettes and alcohol are more "gateway drugs" than marijuana. I've smoked weed in the past, and never had the urge to do coke, heroin, meth, or any of that other crap! EVER!!!! Just hearing and seeing what that stuff does to people scares me. Hell, drunk people scare me, and I drink! Funny, I know, but I've worked in bars as a DJ for years, and I've seen how crazy and stupid people can get when they drink too much.

Furthermore, what about all of the prescription drugs out there that the government is trying to get people hooked on. They have a freakin' pill for EVERYTHING now!

Can't sleep? Here take this.

Can't get an errection? Here is a little blue pill.

Anxiety? Depression? We've got just the thing for you.

And how about the side effects for some of these drugs? Have you ever heard some of the disclaimers? May cause drowsiness, upset stomach, diarhea, stroke and some instances death! OK I'm being funny about the "death" part, but you know what I mean. No thanks!
You may have been being funny about the "death" part. However, I have heard two or three commercials for different prescriptions quote..."and in rare cases, death".After all stroke can lead to death. Good point. Well said.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:24 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
I'm a long time marijuana consumer...
Gee we couldn't tell. PS: I don't personally care if people get high or not - heck I used to. But lol @ the "it's safer than alcohol so let's legalize" it bit. How many times are people going to pull this ridiculous line of reasoning? Likewise for: employers shouldn't screen for it if they don't screen for alcohol (2 wrongs make a right!), who cares if you're high at work (oh yeah, there's a real job enhancer), don't "invade my privacy," and oh btw, who cares if it's illegal?

If an employer screening out people for pot use is so baffling and upsetting to someone, it's very simple: work elsewhere. I hear McD's is hiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
If i ran the world, a positive for alcohol would be grounds for discipline or dismissal, especially in Flight School. Legal substance or not, it causes way more harm than pot.
Only if you're a full-on lush (and/or do something stupid like drink and drive, work etc...which mostly only the lushes do). Light to moderate drinking is in fact healthy. Sorry, can't say that about pot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
I would like to require some people to be stoned at work; they might be more pleasant to deal with.
Frankly, this is the best argument for pot I've seen yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
If the employee is not performing adequately, whether it's because of drug use or any other reason, they can be fired for their poor performance.
But an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. ie it's far easier - and to the point, cost effective - to do what you can to minimize such people from working there in the first place.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:26 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Furthermore, what about all of the prescription drugs out there that the government is trying to get people hooked on. They have a freakin' pill for EVERYTHING now!
This is so true. I know the reasoning is the legality of these drugs. I know sooooo many people these days that are on all kinds of prescription drugs from xanex to oxycodone. These drugs are not a concern with employers but people get more messed up than someone who uses pot as a weekend recreational drug.

I am not in favor of employers having access to our body fluids.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:29 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,831 times
Quote:
If you read the body of my header you would have seen that I am for pre-screening.
I'm not sure how you are using the term "header," but he was responding to your post, and nowhere within it did you say you were for pre-screening FYI.

Quote:
The tests that are administered these days it can be judged if you're stoned at the time of testing or if you smoked yesterday at noon. And furthermore one CANNOT OVERDOSE on marijuana. One can even die from alcohol poisoning. In other words... alcohol overdose
And your point is......

Old 03-05-2010, 08:29 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
You may have been being funny about the "death" part. However, I have heard two or three commercials for different prescriptions quote..."and in rare cases, death".After all stroke can lead to death. Good point. Well said.

Thank you! I hate taking pills unless I absolutely have to. Like for example, if I get a headache, I will take one Ibuprofen. The label says take one, two can be used, but I will only take the one! It usually does the trick. I hear people say, "man I take 3 or 4." Considering what it does to your stomach, I would say that is a little dangerous. And, some of that over the counter crap is more dangerous than pot. I heard a kid tell me that he drank a whole bottle of Robitusin just so he can trip! Are you kidding me???? Hello, do you want your body to shut down? You never hear of ANYONE overdosing on smoking weed. Yeah, I suppose if you smoke too much at one time, you may get a little paranoid, but other than that, I've never heard of someone dying from smoking pot. I have heard of people dying from doing coke, heroin and meth!

Old 03-05-2010, 08:47 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
Quote:
In todays society we all know that drug screening (when jobs return) is an important part of the hiring process. With all the serious drugs such as heroine, crack, meth, etc. I would pre-screen too. Now alcohol is much more harmful than marijuana. Nobody tests for that. With the recent decriminalization of marijuana (not in all states) it should be removed from the list of drug test failures. Same rules would apply as with alcohol... 21 and older, not at work, etc. What do you think?

This link explains everything I already know. I'm a long time marijuana consumer... now age 40.

Reliable information about marijuana and its effects based on research and science, not disinformation and propaganda.

Myths and Facts About Marijuana
FYI - I have been tested for alcohol before. I questioned them about it, and they told me that they were checking to see if I had levels in excess of what they deemed acceptable.

Frankly I think any employer can test for whatever they want. If you don't want to be tested, refuse. If enough people refuse, an employer will have to rethink the policy. (So long as the employer tells you the policy before you are are hired. Testing someone after the fact is bull in my book.) PS I smoke weed too... if that screens me out of a job, so be it. If it happened enough to possibly affect my income, it would be up to me to evaluate.

I'd go a step further and say employers can discriminate against obese people too.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:04 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
I'd go a step further and say employers can discriminate against obese people too.
Thats another problem with pre-drug screening. Where do you draw the line. Just as some proclaim pot is a gateway drug, drug screening opens the flood gates to other discriminations. Obesity and cigarette smoking may affect job performance and increase insurance rates. We are already seeing smokers denied jobs. Next they will take our DNA to test for genetic markers for potential physical, emotional and mental problems. Are you likely to cause accidents, become a potential threat to other employees, drive up insurance rates or be less productive because you may be inclined to develop cancer or other diseases, suffer from depression or psychosis?

Old 03-05-2010, 09:06 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,792,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
I'm not sure how you are using the term "header," but he was responding to your post, and nowhere within it did you say you were for pre-screening FYI.

And your point is......
My point is... (politely) You read what you want. So here it is for you again. Bold and in red. Also... You aren't at risk for O.D. with weed. Also... read the bold underline. I'll just read from here-on-out. I'm tired of repeating myself.

In todays society we all know that drug screening (when jobs return) is an important part of the hiring process. With all the serious drugs such as heroine, crack, meth, etc. I would pre-screen too. Now alcohol is much more harmful than marijuana. Nobody tests for that. With the recent decriminalization of marijuana (not in all states) it should be removed from the list of drug test failures. Same rules would apply as with alcohol... 21 and older, not at work, etc. What do you think?

Old 03-05-2010, 09:19 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Thats another problem with pre-drug screening. Where do you draw the line. Just as some proclaim pot is a gateway drug, drug screening opens the flood gates to other discriminations. Obesity and cigarette smoking may affect job performance and increase insurance rates. We are already seeing smokers denied jobs. Next they will take our DNA to test for genetic markers for potential physical, emotional and mental problems. Are you likely to cause accidents, become a potential threat to other employees, drive up insurance rates or be less productive because you may be inclined to develop cancer or other diseases, suffer from depression or psychosis?
A private employer should be able to weed out potential employees in any way s/he sees fit so long as it isn't discriminatory against sex, race, sexual orientation, etc etc. So long as the employer is up front about the requirements, I don't have a problem with it. If an employment ad says, "we screen for drugs" I am not going to answer it. I believe it is well within the employer's rights to use this as a requirement.

The only way DNA testing would come to fruition is if people submitted to it (and it became a lot cheaper of course). If a company needs to hire people and writes "we will screen your DNA" - people should not apply. If they don't, said company will have to revise the policy in order to stay in business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates