U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 06:32 PM

519 posts, read 891,393 times

Advertisements

The very last legal descrimination is against fathers and gays.

Fathers no longer have rights to raise their own children after divorce, in my country (Australia) and I understand it's true in the USA as well.

The 'rights' of the child are more important than the right of their father and that right means that children (all children apparently) prefer to live in one home (with their mum and stepdad) and see their dad as little as possible...

I think this is discrimination, legalised gender discrimination.

I, personally, don't think that where a child lives after divorce should be based on the gender of the parent - but on which parent is the most mature and capable...

So my first debate question is

Q. Will laws ever be introduced into child custody disputes which focus, not on gender, but on capabilities?

Furthermore, is it possible that society at large, will stop believing that mothers are automatically better parents than fathers?

Regarding the legalised sexual orientation discrimination...

Q Do you think that same sex couples will be permitted to marry with the same rights as opposite sex couples everywhere in the Western world anytime soon?

I feel sad to live in a world where people are discriminated against and are hurt by narrow-minded laws.

I don't know the answers - but I have hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 06:46 PM

792 posts, read 2,553,593 times
Quote:
Q. Will laws ever be introduced into child custody disputes which focus, not on gender, but on capabilities?
The laws, at least in the US, are on the books but their application is questionable at best.

Quote:
Furthermore, is it possible that society at large, will stop believing that mothers are automatically better parents than fathers?
The sun will rise from the West before that happens, in my opinion.

Quote:
Q Do you think that same sex couples will be permitted to marry with the same rights as opposite sex couples everywhere in the Western world anytime soon?
I'm all for equal opportunity misery...

Delicate issue because the institution is faith based, regardless of religion. It would be like asking for an amendment of the commandments.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:55 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,013,914 times
Basically I would say no because they have a reputation in this country for not supporting their of spring unlesss married. People just have a preception that women are still the care givers most relible for children.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:44 PM

3,651 posts, read 8,112,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TumbleBug View Post
I think Americans on the whole are already well aware of that - but our joke of a legal system hasn't clued in yet, to a large extent.

Quote:
I can't speak for other countries, but in America, who knows......and "soon" is pretty vague. Flip a coin.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:34 AM

13,341 posts, read 10,902,291 times
The trashing of Fathers is an issue that frosts me no end.. I have seen far to much of it, and been on the **** end of it myself. A friend of mine was ordered by a judge to pay $3000.00 more a month than he made in 'spousal support' to his not yet ex wife, and SHE was the one out messing around with other guys (and girls) and SHE was the one who left.When the poor sap asked this idiot how he was to come up with this kind of dough, he was told ."well, you have credit cards, don't you?". The kids were still with him, he was ordered to surrender custody to her, and to vacate the house as well. This judge needs to be thrown off the bench!! This kind of nonsense happens on all to regular a basis. There are some groups out here advocating for the rights of fathers, and more attention is being given to the issue, however, it is far more likely that the mother, regardless of her fitness, will be given full custody of children in a divorce. Not always, but a grand percentage of the time. Much depends on the judge presiding. Most are either to afraid of appearing 'insensitive' or are blatantly biased for whatever reason.

Old 03-06-2010, 05:45 PM

5,230 posts, read 7,319,821 times
Quote:
Will Gays and Fathers EVER have equal rights?

I dont think the two groups share remotely the same issues.
In most cases men are discriminated against because nature made us bigger & stronger & people generally will sympathize with the small weak woman more than a man.

On the other hand Homosexuals have been placed above mere heterosexuals & allowed by law to make believe that same sex couples constitute a marriage. If anything the current trend discriminates against dozens of other sexual deviants who cant marry sheep, goats, children or rubber dolls.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:15 PM

5,774 posts, read 6,654,446 times
No.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:54 PM

27 posts, read 39,836 times
I think ALL marriage should be banned. Married people are annoying. I don't want to live next to any of them married people! I think it's gross how they flaunt out in public, and make a big deal out of being married. So what? I could decide to be married as well. But it's not natural. Ever try to eat in peace at a restaurant with some married couple and their brats stinking up the place with noise? No thanks! And get this.. they use taxpayer funds! They get credits for their brats! And to see them holding hands, hugging and kissing in public is beyond disgusting!! I could go on and on.. endlessly yapping, but I see 'them' coming, must move to the other side of the street! Why do they get special rights?!

Old 03-06-2010, 10:21 PM

4,101 posts, read 5,896,100 times

Only if we/they loose all sense of reason!

Old 03-08-2010, 03:16 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,410,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
If anything the current trend discriminates against dozens of other sexual deviants who cant marry sheep, goats, children or rubber dolls.
Shame that the majority of crime doers happen to be straight, yet straights failed to realize that and condemn themselves for it due to association
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or