Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 06:01 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,644,236 times

Advertisements

I'm not afraid of animals because I love most of them and the ones who aren't domesticated, I've educated myself about them and greatly respect them. I have no love loss for those who keep wild animals and try to domesticate them and make them pets then the animal only because it's a wild animal attacks them. No sorrow for those folks at all.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:16 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,220,237 times
I think that homo sapiens is the scariest beast in the jungle.

Wild animal attacks, while frightening and sensational when you read about them in the newspaper, are relatively rare.

As far as pit bulls and other 'dangerous' dogs go, I was never personally afraid of any dog, but my small dog was attacked last year by two large pit bull/boxer mix dogs (fortunately I was right there and was able to scare them off of her before they did any serious damage) so now I have to be concerned about dogs attacking my dog and/or cats since several irresponsible dog owners in my neighborhood own this type of dog and let them run loose on occasion. Still, I blame the owners more than I blame the dogs.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:25 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,987,723 times
Are you Afraid of Animals?

Only the ones that walk on two legs.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:22 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
No. There are far more attacks by humans. When a human is attacked by an animal 9 times out of 10 it is due to human stupidity.

Yes, I have seen loose dogs including pit bulls??? No Im not afraid of them. I also see deer, rabbits, squirrels, raccoons, oposums, snakes, bobcats, foxes, buffalo, elk, Lions tigers and bears, oh my.
I have encountered homeless alcoholics and meth heads while riding in the woods. That is more unsettling than any animal I have encountered. (just kidding about the lions tigers and bears).

Old 03-16-2010, 10:50 AM

281 posts, read 446,871 times
I'm afraid of animals, yes, since humans fall into that category.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:19 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,803,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post
Are you Afraid of Animals?

Only the ones that walk on two legs.
Exactly, you are approximately 1,000,000 times more likely to be harmed or killed by a fellow human than any animal.

I do admit when I go backpacking in bear country, I have a little anxiety falling asleep at night. I had a very close encounter with a 300# black bear once. It was about 4 feet from me eating my food on the other side of a mesh screen tent door. This was entirely due to my own ignorance. However, the bear never showed aggression. It just ate my food and went on its way.

I have no fear of dogs. I have two big dogs myself.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:44 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
I do not particularly "like" animals, in the sense that I have no desire to interact with them. But I don't fear them. As a birdwatcher, I've probably walked a thousand miles off the beaten tracks, a lot of it in Asia and South America, and it is extremely rare to even see a wild animal at a distance, so I don't worry too much about encounters. My wife, though, has been bitten by both a Copperhead snake and a shark, but both were young enough that their bite left no lasting harm.

I'm not fond of dogs, but I've learned that stooping over as if to pick up a rock will usually deter an aggressive dog.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:33 PM

7 posts, read 6,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Every once and a while you hear of someone being killed & eaten by an alligator in Florida. That would be a horrible way to die! I watched a great tv show about a guy in Alaska who lived among the grizzles bears. He documented & filmed encounters he had with bears. Sadly he was eventually attacked and eaten along with his female companion. Another guy in Alaska also lived among the bears but he had a house to protect him at night. Talk about living on the edge!
Yes, there are stupid people everywhere.

No, I am not afraid of animals, or pitbulls. A person needs to learn how to respect the animal and use a gun as a last resort.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:43 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
As for the pitbull thing, I've known several who all were pleasant dogs, if a little rambunctious. They just seem to be the in vogue thing for people who want a "tough" dog.
Exactly. I'm far, FAR more afraid of (or should I say repulsed by) the mindless morons who buy them for the wrong reasons.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:52 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,278,403 times
Yes, Lions in the wilds of Africa, Tigers in Bangledash, and Polar bears in Northern Alaska. Great whites off the coast of South Africa, hippos... you get the picture. It is pretty wise to be afraid sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates