Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 01:42 PM

61,386 posts, read 86,312,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
It really don't matter if it's right or wrong. It's your life. Of all the choices being stripped from us today this is the one right that nobody can ever take away, your right to live or die.
I don’t agree with that. In hospitals are many people that are so sick, in so much pain, with no hope of improvement, and not able no voice the wish to die.
Many times they suffer because some selfish family member with guilty feelings would not agree to end the misery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 01:43 PM

791 posts, read 1,430,070 times
Yes, anyone has the right to end their own life.

Silly question.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:52 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,762,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
It really don't matter if it's right or wrong. It's your life. Of all the choices being stripped from us today this is the one right that nobody can ever take away, your right to live or die.
Well, you do lose that right if you murder someone and is sentenced to die.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:16 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,272,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
If I commit suicide in the privacy of my home, how is the community around me affected?

My employer loses me? I am expendable and easily replaced. My work is meaningless. My family? What makes you think I have a family and if I did, what makes you think they care? Not everyone has a family or someone who loves them.
You do not think you would affect your environment when people find out you committed suicide? If that is true then you are disconnected, and need to reconnect with your community. You are dependent on them, you do not grow all your own food, make your own clothes, provide your own fresh water, make your own transportation, worry about the eradication of disease...etc. You live in a community and the quality of life is a group effort. Join in!

Old 03-23-2010, 10:52 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,066,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werone View Post
You do not think you would affect your environment when people find out you committed suicide? If that is true then you are disconnected, and need to reconnect with your community. You are dependent on them, you do not grow all your own food, make your own clothes, provide your own fresh water, make your own transportation, worry about the eradication of disease...etc. You live in a community and the quality of life is a group effort. Join in!
Please answer the question directly instead of in a round-about way-how would my death personally affect the community around me, other than in an economic way?

Old 03-23-2010, 12:22 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,525,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werone View Post
With all respect and I'm sure you mean well, what does my need to have someone else for food, clothing, etc. Have to do with the autonomy over my life that is at the heart of this issue? Experience has taught me that I only want to "join in" at a distance-- like here, anonymously. My neighbors aren't interested in my ideas or other input and I got tired of tilting at that windmill. Here's an example. I used to be pretty passionate about local politics but I gave it up for this election. As with politics most places, it's become nothing but shouting, name calling, and sound bites. The guy with the most signs will win because his backers paid for the signs.

There's a very few people about whom I care. Fortunately, if I ever seriously considred suicide, I believe that while they would hear me out and say they'd miss me, I can't imagine them trying to talk me out of it or laying a guilt trip on me. That's why they're my friends. One reason, anyway.

Dspite what Donne said, some of us are islands, and prefer it that way. We may have a few bridges or be part of an archipelago, but islands are what we are. You won't miss me when I'm gone, whenever I may go and by whatever means.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:57 PM

768 posts, read 1,085,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
With all respect and I'm sure you mean well, what does my need to have someone else for food, clothing, etc. Have to do with the autonomy over my life that is at the heart of this issue? Experience has taught me that I only want to "join in" at a distance-- like here, anonymously. My neighbors aren't interested in my ideas or other input and I got tired of tilting at that windmill. Here's an example. I used to be pretty passionate about local politics but I gave it up for this election. As with politics most places, it's become nothing but shouting, name calling, and sound bites. The guy with the most signs will win because his backers paid for the signs.

There's a very few people about whom I care. Fortunately, if I ever seriously considred suicide, I believe that while they would hear me out and say they'd miss me, I can't imagine them trying to talk me out of it or laying a guilt trip on me. That's why they're my friends. One reason, anyway.

Dspite what Donne said, some of us are islands, and prefer it that way. We may have a few bridges or be part of an archipelago, but islands are what we are. You won't miss me when I'm gone, whenever I may go and by whatever means.
A very interesting viewpoint.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Please answer the question directly instead of in a round-about way-how would my death personally affect the community around me, other than in an economic way?

I remember two people from my neighborhood, both near my age about 20 years ago committing suicide. I was friends with one guys brother and the other person I knew through my older brother. Maybe if you lived that experience through my eyes you would understand me.... It deeply affected my friends and me, and my neighborhood, and you should have seen my friend. A girlfriend of mine also lost her sister to that, about 25 years ago... it's a hole in her family's lives. With much respect, it is only my opinion, but if people start taking their lives around you then there is something wrong with that environment.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post

We need all kinds of people in the community, islands are fine, but it should always be an environment of living. Be the change you want to see,.. I do not wish a suicide in any family or community, I have seen what it does to the other family members and to the community.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:39 AM

4,321 posts, read 5,116,719 times
I would want a pro-lifer to tell me if I can take my own life or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates