Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 12:54 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
But in your reading of the Castle Doctrine, it gives one the right to exact revenge?
No. Not at all. I see reasonable cause for the arrest of the homeowner AND the other guy with the latex gloves and will let the courts sort that out.

Now quit being evasive and back up your claims that you can gun down 7 year olds for walking onto your yard and get away with it per the castle doctrine.

You posted a link to a murder on public and claimed it was an example of the Castle Doctrine.

Let's revisit what would be a better example:
-Killing on their property (it almost always refers to the house and not yard fyi)
-Person gets away with it.

P.S. It also generally requires some sort of imminent threat.

Probably the worst example of the castle doctrine is when 2 guys rang the wrong door for a party and the homeowner shot them. I personally feel the guy should have done time in that case...but probably got a pass due to local sentiment etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
His position is in agreement with US law
You mean where he assumed guilt for the homeowner and not for the burglar pre-trial? Under what part of US law is unequal treatment allowed?

Old 03-24-2010, 02:44 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,682,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Now quit being evasive and back up your claims that you can gun down 7 year olds for walking onto your yard and get away with it per the castle doctrine.
It's based on my interpretation of the relevant statutes, some of which allow the defense of any place which the shooter is entitled to occupy (which would include the drive way and the front lawn).

Quote:
You posted a link to a murder on public and claimed it was an example of the Castle Doctrine.
That's the defense that will be invoked in that case. And, depending on the background of the victims, it may very well succeed.

Quote:
P.S. It also generally requires some sort of imminent threat.
Actually, no. It only requires a "reasonable belief" that there is an imminent threat. This, of course, makes it more subjective. Since it is the jury that gets to decide whether the shooter's belief of imminent threat was "reasonable", it will come down to whether the act of shooting a trespassing child is in line with how the neighbors feel about such trespasses. Frankly, just looking at this site and seeing how many people believe it's acceptable, even commendable, to take life in defense of property, I am not optimistic.

Quote:
Probably the worst example of the castle doctrine is when 2 guys rang the wrong door for a party and the homeowner shot them. I personally feel the guy should have done time in that case...but probably got a pass due to local sentiment etc.
Exactly -- the local sentiment is what I'm talking about.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
It's based on my interpretation of the relevant statutes, some of which allow the defense of any place which the shooter is entitled to occupy (which would include the drive way and the front lawn).

That's the defense that will be invoked in that case. And, depending on the background of the victims, it may very well succeed.

Actually, no. It only requires a "reasonable belief" that there is an imminent threat. This, of course, makes it more subjective. Since it is the jury that gets to decide whether the shooter's belief of imminent threat was "reasonable", it will come down to whether the act of shooting a trespassing child is in line with how the neighbors feel about such trespasses. Frankly, just looking at this site and seeing how many people believe it's acceptable, even commendable, to take life in defense of property, I am not optimistic.

Exactly -- the local sentiment is what I'm talking about.
Fair enough.

I just think that while the Castle Doctrine is a *potential* defense, I have RARELY seen it used successfully. Many of the scenarios flying around are just hyperbole and there is no way in heck anyone would ever get away with gunning down some gradeschooler that walked into your yard after a ball.

As for the story you linked, even if they'd pulled into the couples driveway to turn around that coupled would absolutely still go to jail and we all know it. As it stands, they are as close to being able to using a Castle Doctrine defense as I am to being the next pope.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:00 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
Quote:
My reading of the castle doctrine statutes suggests that it needs to be an interior space, including such as a tent or a car, and a place of human occupancy, as opposed to a storage shed or the like.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:50 PM

958 posts, read 1,105,181 times
While the home owner may have over reacted just a bit, he should have been given a pass.
Hey any of you left wing libs tell you don't want to protect your family.
PS, all the perp would get is a slap on the hand .
He needs to be taugh why not to enter that house again. Bet he remembers and goes to a lib ass licking home next time
Hope it is not one of your homes when they let him skate .

Old 03-24-2010, 04:44 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevar242 View Post
While the home owner may have over reacted just a bit, he should have been given a pass. .
What about the medal?

Old 03-24-2010, 06:11 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,682,259 times
Quote:
Again -- since the perp had been caught and restrained at the time he was kicked in the face -- what exactly was the homeowner protecting his family from?

Quote:
He needs to be taugh why not to enter that house again. Bet he remembers and goes to a lib ass licking home next time
The laws which make revenge illegal don't exist for the benefit of burglars and low-lives. They exist for the benefit of law-abiding citizens. Letting the low-lives off from time to time is the price we pay as a society to keep the law enforcement -- and our neighbors -- on a short leash. Permit vigilante justice in one instance, and the next time it is administered, the circumstances won't be as clear-cut. And things go down that path, you better pray some dude with a gun won't find some fault with you.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:18 AM

Quote:
While the home owner may have over reacted just a bit, he should have been given a pass.
PS, all the perp would get is a slap on the hand .
Hope it is not one of your homes when they let him skate .
This is great debates, not political.
What does this have to do with libs etc?
If I wanted to read incoherent rants in 3rd grade english, aimed at random groups I would go to the political section or whatever bar that apparently has wifi in your area.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:08 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,277,305 times
Cops should a overlooked it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates