U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-29-2010, 11:26 AM

355 posts, read 480,938 times

Advertisements

In speaking with alot of my peers or people I work with or just about everyone I know. I have discovered that most people I know have a job but also most have some sort of side "hustle" or something done to increase their money. Now not all of this is going to be reported as income. So how is this or is this extra figured into our gdp? And do others countries have the same sort of underground economics. It seems like everyone has something extra they do to keep themselves afloat.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 11:50 AM

8,293 posts, read 14,292,671 times
As taxes continue to increase - and will probably skyrocket to pay for all of President Obama's new programs - there will be more and more business that flies below the radar. More bartering. More cash only deals. More payment in kind work. More labor trades.

Those who are always calling for more programs and more taxes simply don't get it.

How does it figure into our GDP? There's simply no way to know.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:23 PM

38,753 posts, read 38,397,978 times
The underground economy is disaspproved of in the USA because it cuts into the profits of the big corporations and benefits the consumers. Both are violations of the fundamental principles upon which this republic was re-founded as an oligarchy,

Old 03-29-2010, 02:40 PM

6,521 posts, read 4,362,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The underground economy is disaspproved of in the USA because it cuts into the profits of the big corporations and benefits the consumers. Both are violations of the fundamental principles upon which this republic was re-founded as an oligarchy,
Last time I checked no one was ever convicted of reducing corporate profits but they sure do get convicted of tax evasion.

I must say, you are funny.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:19 PM

19,127 posts, read 14,848,553 times
Pretty much everyone I've met has done it their entire lives. I used to do livestock related chores (clipping hooves, trimming show animals, exercising horses etc.) I also used to barter goat milk in exchange for veggies and whatnot. I see nothing wrong with that.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:28 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,079,288 times
Having known people from other nations, yes they also have underground economies.
Some participate , others do not.
Personally i am working towards getting all my income from and underground source.
And becoming sovereign as well.

Because none of the Federal/state/local governments use the money they take from me in a way that actually is efficient enough to reduce crime and poverty while increasing opportunity for education and self sufficiency.

i do know that some people do not care to try to succeed.
But even if all the law schools in the USA were filled to capacity and graduated students who passed the bar, there would not be enough jobs.

*backing off my soapbox*

Old 03-30-2010, 06:16 AM

33,592 posts, read 28,756,425 times
You will not know what government does for you until you try living without one. The toughest business in the world is vending dope on the street. Most vendors do not last long even if they do not use. Check out a description in "Freekanomics" (I forgot the author's name).

In the US the entire "Flea Market" system is based on "off the books" commerce.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:27 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,539,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Pretty much everyone I've met has done it their entire lives. I used to do livestock related chores (clipping hooves, trimming show animals, exercising horses etc.) I also used to barter goat milk in exchange for veggies and whatnot. I see nothing wrong with that.
I think that's just survival mode for people in the rural areas. We always trade skills or whatever. i.e. If you store your turdhurse in my machine shed I get to use it. Almost a communal thing IMHO thats how I get meat in the freezer tradeing.........If uncle suger puts the bite on it somehow it's gonna hurt bad.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:53 AM

6,521 posts, read 4,362,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
You will not know what government does for you until you try living without one. The toughest business in the world is vending dope on the street. Most vendors do not last long even if they do not use. Check out a description in "Freekanomics" (I forgot the author's name).

In the US the entire "Flea Market" system is based on "off the books" commerce.
Levitt & Dubner http://freakonomicsbook.com/ great book. The government is very much involved in the drug trade, they created it by making drugs illegal. By their involvement in a voluntary interaction they created gangs and cartels.

Many Flea Markets are now taxed by state and local governments.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:00 AM

355 posts, read 480,938 times
Levitt & Dubner http://freakonomicsbook.com/ great book. The government is very much involved in the drug trade, they created it by making drugs illegal. By their involvement in a voluntary interaction they created gangs and cartels.

absolutley: think about it, lawyers, police, jails, lawyers, lawyers lawyers lol......they are all supported by in large by non violent drug offenders. Also I've not yet read freakonomics but the part in the book about drug dealing was supplied by the author of gang leader for a day. great book anyone who wants to delve deeper into the underground economy of the robert taylor homes should read it...great book that goes furthur into the underground economy than just drug dealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates