Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 03:31 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,805,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Exactly. You offered no opinion. Which implied that parroting the official line was an endorsement of it.
I have no clue what "official line" you are referring to. Am I supposed to find it in the "Capitalist Playbook" you mentioned earlier? Maybe I need to spend more time on my "sailboat" so I can committ all these supposed "official lines" and "playbooks" to memory.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 03-30-2010 at 03:45 PM..

Old 03-30-2010, 03:48 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I have no clue what "official line" you are referring to.
Let me refresh your disappointingly short memory

Quote:

To allow Food Stamps to be used for anything other than FOOD would certainly be counter to the goals of that program. People can't buy certain consumables (alcohol comes to mind) with Food Stamps, so why would lottery tickets even fall under the purview of the Food Stamp Program? That would be like allowing folks to spend Section 8 Housing Vouchers on a trip to Disney World.
Now., Do you think lottery tickets are, economically and mathematically, a sufficiently sound and rational purchase for people who are eligible to receive food stamp benefits?
( ) Yes
( ) No.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Exactly. You offered no opinion. Which implied that parroting the official line was an endorsement, or at least a tolerance, of it.

Why don't you just come out and state categorically that you are opposed to killing the foolish geese that are laying all these golden eggs for you, by contributing disproportionally to a revenue base, leaving you with less to pay. Stop trying to skirt around the edges of it, and just say it.

And don't say they do it "voluntarily". You can always get volunteers to do stupid things you're unwilling to do, if you make it sound attractive enough.
I don't think of people in terms of what they can do for me. And I don't belittle them or their choices.

You said in an earlier post "I make it my business to treat stupid people as equals, deserving of dignity, and needing help because of their disability." Calling people "foolish geese" is a great way to live by your words. You pretend you care about people, but secretly distain them and believe you are better/smarter/more worthy of dictating their choices.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 03-30-2010 at 04:10 PM..

Old 03-30-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Let me refresh your disappointingly short memory
You didn't answer the question. Exactly whose "official line" is it you think I'm parrotting?

I have no idea.... Capitalists, the sailboat people, the ever present "them"??

Last edited by UNC4Me; 03-30-2010 at 04:01 PM..

Old 03-30-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Now., Do you think lottery tickets are, economically and mathematically, a sufficiently sound and rational purchase for people who are eligible to receive food stamp benefits?
( ) Yes
( ) No.
(X) No..... Because you can't eat lottery tickets.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:16 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,190,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
I say if you dont play you cant lose. Wate of money. Your odds of winning the lotto are just as good if you dont play than if you do play. You may get lucky and find the winning lotto ticket on the ground for free.

Tell that to the " Holdingford Lunch Ladies" !

They only contributed 25 cents a week and won half of the Powerball with their one ticket that got bought twice a week.

Each one's share was $2 Million.

Shame on those " addicted" women for wasting 25 cents a week (sarc)

Old 03-30-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
I don't think of people in terms of what they can do for me. And I don't belittle them or their choices.

You said in an earlier post "I make it my business to treat stupid people as equals, deserving of dignity, and needing help because of their disability." Calling people "foolish geese" is a great way to live by your words. You pretend you care about people, but secretly distain them and believe you are better/smarter/more worthy of dictating their choices.
What I call people, attempting to use words that I think you will find meaningful, has nothing to do with the respect I have for them. I believe people fall in different places on the intelligence scale (this is not a frivolous faith, it is well documented), and I believe I have the intellectual power to exploit people who are stupider than I am. if there are any. However, I do not believe that gives me the moral justification to exploit them merely because they cannot intellectually defend themselves, so I don't to it.

Have you ever heard of a metaphor? That's when you call something by a different name, in order to use the reference in connection with a concept you wish to reference as an illustrative device. I did not call the people geese, I used a metaphor that enabled me to allude to them in a way that corresponds with the "Kill the goose that lays the golden egg" adage. Good lord, you don't even know that? Are you taking remedial courses at UNC?

As for my yes/no question, please lasso all your intellectual power, gather it all up in one concentrated place, and read the question several more times, making a special effort to strive for comprehension, and then answer what I asked.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
What I call people, attempting to use words that I think you will find meaningful, has nothing to do with the respect I have for them. I believe people fall in different places on the intelligence scale (this is not a frivolous faith, it is well documented), and I believe I have the intellectual power to exploit people who are stupider than I am. if there are any. However, I do not believe that gives me the moral justification to exploit them merely because they cannot intellectually defend themselves, so I don't to it.

Have you ever heard of a metaphor? That's when you call something by a different name, in order to use the reference in connection with a concept you wish to reference as an illustrative device. I did not call the people geese, I used a metaphor that enabled me to allude to them in a way that corresponds with the "Kill the goose that lays the golden egg" adage. Good lord, you don't even know that? Are you taking remedial courses at UNC?

As for my yes/no question, please lasso all your intellectual power, gather it all up in one concentrated place, and read the question several more times, making a special effort to strive for comprehension, and then answer what I asked.
"The Goose that laid the Golden Egg" isn't an adage. It's one of Aesop's Fables. Good Lord, you don't even know that?

And, I did answer your question. The answer was NO or more exactly (X) NO...... Because you can't eat lottery tickets.

Still waiting on whose "official line" you referred to.........

Last edited by UNC4Me; 03-30-2010 at 04:52 PM..

Old 03-30-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
"The Goose that laid the Golden Egg" isn't an adage (saying). It's one of Aesop's Fables. Good Lord, you don't even know that?

And, I did answer your question. The answer was NO or more exactly (X) NO...... Because you can't eat lottery tickets.

Still waiting on whose "official line" you referred to.........
So your entire defense for your argumentative position boils down to whether a fable can evolve into an adage. After quickly googling /goose golden egg/ and identifying the metaphor that stymied you the first time around, and left you thinking I was literally calling people geese.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
So your entire defense for your argumentative position boils down to whether a fable can evolve into an adage.
No, I just thought if you were going to support your arguements using semantics I could to. You know a "what's good for the goose is good for the gander" type of thing. (Google here if needed.)

Here is your position on lotterys, in brief:

1. People who play the lottery are stupid.

2. People who think it's OK that stupid people are allowed to play the lottery are immoral.

You did add a caveat to the first one and agreed that if people were playing for entertainment purposes, could afford the $1 and understood that mathmatically it was a poor gamble, then it was OK for them to play and they weren't stupid.

So, following your logic, if the people who think the lottery is OK think it's OK for entertainment purposes, for those who can afford it and who understand that mathmatically it's a poor gamble, then those people aren't immoral.

What more is there really to say?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates