Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 10:53 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
I do miss going to movies in the black part of town, it was a very different experience.

I was the only white guy in the theater for a showing of The Exorcist in New Orleans back in the 70's.

After one hour I was just about the only person in the theater at all.

I'm not racist, have no aspirations to be racist, etc., but...

One of my old jobs was to jump out of hiding and scare people at an amusement part, as part of a jungle boat ride. I was the witchdoctor that ran out and scared boatloads of people near the end of the now-defunct African Queen Boat Ride at Busch Gardens.

Every time, without fail, boats with mostly black people would react much more to being scared. Jumping, screaming, etc. I have no idea why, just an observation.

They also got a good laugh at the skinny white kid trying to be an African witch doctor.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:14 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,296,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Well don't you find it funny how Hispanic or Latino culture, they are known for their quick tempers? It's been widely known Hispanics/Latinos can pop off at the drop of a dime. I attribute that to all that spicy and hot food that comes from Mexico and South America. Not to mention the prolonged exposure to the hot weather. I believe these things contribute to human cultures.
I'll give you that people under the stress of extreme heat or more irritable but I don't see too much here that resembles a fact.

Old 04-04-2010, 12:10 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,323,347 times
I guess no one here's ever been around Italians...

But as usual, no matter what the thread starts off as...it always ends up as 'Blacks bad' 'whites good'...

The thread could start off talking about Peanut butter jelly sandwiches...and the theme will still end up 'blacks bad' 'whites good'....

That's always the underlineing tone to every thread, every discusion...every thought...

same o same o....'blacks bad' 'whites good'

It's important that certain people convince themselves of that over and over and over again...
Stat after stat, report after report...yadda yadda yadda...

And it's like they still have to convince themselves that 'blacks baaaaad' 'whites goooood'....seek help please...

Last edited by Time and Space; 04-04-2010 at 12:24 PM..

Old 04-05-2010, 08:12 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,074,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
I guess no one here's ever been around Italians...

But as usual, no matter what the thread starts off as...it always ends up as 'Blacks bad' 'whites good'...

The thread could start off talking about Peanut butter jelly sandwiches...and the theme will still end up 'blacks bad' 'whites good'....

That's always the underlineing tone to every thread, every discusion...every thought...

same o same o....'blacks bad' 'whites good'

It's important that certain people convince themselves of that over and over and over again...
Stat after stat, report after report...yadda yadda yadda...

And it's like they still have to convince themselves that 'blacks baaaaad' 'whites goooood'....seek help please...
HMMMMM...now this I find interesting. WHen I first read the OP I thought, ok here we go, this is going to get black/white really quick, and then when I kept reading, it so didn't. I actually think this thread is quite intriguing. I am Italian, and yes, I talk with my hands, and yes, I am quite excitable, and yes, I am emotional and cry at the drop of a hat. And the weirdest part of all of it? My parents are soooooo not like that. Hence, I believe it is somewhere in my ancestry. And my sister is just like my parents, very reserved in comparison to me. Interesting.

Anyway, to the poster to whom I am replying, did you READ the thread? Where in this thread do you get the 'blacks bad/whites good'??????? I believe a lot of threads do tend to end up that way, but your response to this one being like that is ludicrous. Read the replies! Stop being so dramatic and excitable!

Old 04-05-2010, 08:15 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
These are just observations. I don't think people really mean harm by it.

A group of us were having a lunchtime conversation at work - different ethnicities were at the table. A Jewish guy said he noticed that Italians and Jews, when they were at home and the wife was elsewhere in the house, they just yelled information back and forth and that wasps tended to walk across the house to talk to the person in one room. He also said when he took the family away for a weekend the kids were in the car yelling up a storm and when he passed waspy looking folks the kids were in the back, calmly doing things.

Now, I don't know, but maybe that waspy dad threatened to bash the kid's skull in if he acted up. Certainly all people of these groups don't act that way. I have an opinion that Jewish kids do better in school because they are acknowledged as individuals with brains at an earlier age. It might mean they act up a bit more, but it sure does not stifle curiosity and freedom of thought.

Remember, years back, 'children should be seen and not heard'? Probably a bad idea.
The screaming in the house, I think, is always a bad idea.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:47 AM

3,359 posts, read 7,323,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
HMMMMM...now this I find interesting. WHen I first read the OP I thought, ok here we go, this is going to get black/white really quick, and then when I kept reading, it so didn't. I actually think this thread is quite intriguing. I am Italian, and yes, I talk with my hands, and yes, I am quite excitable, and yes, I am emotional and cry at the drop of a hat. And the weirdest part of all of it? My parents are soooooo not like that. Hence, I believe it is somewhere in my ancestry. And my sister is just like my parents, very reserved in comparison to me. Interesting.

Anyway, to the poster to whom I am replying, did you READ the thread? Where in this thread do you get the 'blacks bad/whites good'??????? I believe a lot of threads do tend to end up that way, but your response to this one being like that is ludicrous. Read the replies! Stop being so dramatic and excitable!
Your post was akin to haveing a bucket of water thrown in my face as if to say 'snap out of it'..

Ok, maybe I needed that...

Yes indeed...thanks...You are so right though...I guess I sorta over reacted to one thread I read...my bag...

I like Italians...very animated...when I use to deliver up in Jersey and Boston and that whole area, or even Chicago...it always seemed they were yelling at you, me....the men would get all excited and raise their voices...
And I'm thinking to myself 'Ok, why are you yelling at me'...but then I realized they weren't...that was just their style...they like to talk loud and forceful...and use a lot of inflexion in the voice...so that if your not use to that you think their mad at you....

Infact, it seems if they like you they talk even louder and get twice as animated...I think it's funny and lovely, once you get use to it...

Old 04-05-2010, 01:25 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,155,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by facts101 View Post
Some racial groups are more excitable than others. You see it everyday. Some groups are louder than others, some groups never act modest, some groups just behave more dramatically than others and seem to be dominated by their emotions. This is not even noticable in the USA. In Europe as a general rule, the further south you go, the more of this you see. Why?
I know what you mean, the t-baggers are a hoot. Jumping around screaming and yelling about taxes. For the love of God would someone teach them to spell? Their signs are an embarrassment to the entire educational system of this country.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:51 PM

548 posts, read 1,251,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinestone View Post
I know what you mean, the t-baggers are a hoot. Jumping around screaming and yelling about taxes. For the love of God would someone teach them to spell? Their signs are an embarrassment to the entire educational system of this country.
Lol. and which racial group do the majority of these people belong to?!

Old 04-05-2010, 01:53 PM

548 posts, read 1,251,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
I was the only white guy in the theater for a showing of The Exorcist in New Orleans back in the 70's.

After one hour I was just about the only person in the theater at all.

I'm not racist, have no aspirations to be racist, etc., but...

One of my old jobs was to jump out of hiding and scare people at an amusement part, as part of a jungle boat ride. I was the witchdoctor that ran out and scared boatloads of people near the end of the now-defunct African Queen Boat Ride at Busch Gardens.

Every time, without fail, boats with mostly black people would react much more to being scared. Jumping, screaming, etc. I have no idea why, just an observation.

They also got a good laugh at the skinny white kid trying to be an African witch doctor.

That certainly does appear to be black people.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:18 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYchi View Post
That certainly does appear to be black people.

I wish one would come into this thread and explain it.

I have similar observations with my Chicano wife, and after enduring hours of Univision when the in-laws are around, there's definitely something to it.

My wife CANNOT watch horror movies, or even movies that are "too intense" as it gives her nightmares. She can't even get through a mild episode of Doctor Who, which is pretty tame by my standards.

At the same time, they get (from my point of view) ridiculously melodramatic over trivial matters. This can sometimes be annoying, like when our daughter skins her knee or stubs her toe. I react with calm concern, they fly off the handle and take the kid with them too. Seeing their reaction, she now thinks she has been seriously injured instead of just laughing it off.

It bugs me, but I try not to be the Uptight ******.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates