U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 03-29-2010, 03:50 PM
 
74 posts, read 165,783 times
Reputation: 27

Advertisements

Some racial groups are more excitable than others. You see it everyday. Some groups are louder than others, some groups never act modest, some groups just behave more dramatically than others and seem to be dominated by their emotions. This is not even noticable in the USA. In Europe as a general rule, the further south you go, the more of this you see. Why?

 
Old 03-29-2010, 03:51 PM
 
74 posts, read 165,783 times
Reputation: 27
This is not just noticable in the USA *
 
Old 03-29-2010, 03:58 PM
 
4,491 posts, read 3,194,996 times
Reputation: 9258
Quote:
Originally Posted by facts101 View Post
Some racial groups are more excitable than others. You see it everyday. Some groups are louder than others, some groups never act modest, some groups just behave more dramatically than others and seem to be dominated by their emotions. This is not even noticable in the USA. In Europe as a general rule, the further south you go, the more of this you see. Why?
If you replace the word "groups" with "individuals", I would agree.

Otherwise, not so much.
 
Old 03-29-2010, 04:13 PM
 
74 posts, read 165,783 times
Reputation: 27
BS. Just not so. Take a European vacation.
 
Old 03-29-2010, 04:23 PM
 
Location: South Jordan, Utah
6,652 posts, read 6,451,606 times
Reputation: 2823
A lot of things are cultural; there have been many studies on this. An amazing one is the culture of honor first coming from old Ireland and Scotland and settling in the South.

Here is a great report about it.

gladwell dot com - harlan kentucky
 
Old 03-29-2010, 04:27 PM
 
4,491 posts, read 3,194,996 times
Reputation: 9258
Quote:
Originally Posted by facts101 View Post
BS. Just not so. Take a European vacation.
I've taken many and I still disagree. You are generalizing about entire groups of people.

There is no "this is what they're all like" when it comes to people. They are individuals and what you are stating as fact is based on opinion formed by your limited interactions.

If you meant your statements as opinion, then I stand corrected. If not, I will return the favor and call BS.
 
Old 03-29-2010, 04:29 PM
 
Location: Eastern Washington
11,433 posts, read 37,688,535 times
Reputation: 8378
Maybe almost O/T but sometimes people only *seem* to be excited. For example the normal dynamic range of a native Russian speaker is a good bit more than American English - so to hear a couple of Russians having an even slightly animated conversation, if you didn't know that, you would think they were having a serious argument.

I think in general warmer climates mean people who are more overtly emotional, while peoples of polar climates tend to be more reseved. Just in general.
 
Old 03-29-2010, 04:59 PM
 
Location: South Jordan, Utah
6,652 posts, read 6,451,606 times
Reputation: 2823
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I've taken many and I still disagree. You are generalizing about entire groups of people.

There is no "this is what they're all like" when it comes to people. They are individuals and what you are stating as fact is based on opinion formed by your limited interactions.

If you meant your statements as opinion, then I stand corrected. If not, I will return the favor and call BS.
Read my link above, you will think differently.
 
Old 03-29-2010, 05:04 PM
 
548 posts, read 992,890 times
Reputation: 265
May be some truth to this, blacks, hispanics, mediterranean, and some Asian people seem to be a bit louder and animated IMO. (I'm black btw)
 
Old 03-29-2010, 05:17 PM
 
Location: South Jordan, Utah
6,652 posts, read 6,451,606 times
Reputation: 2823
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYchi View Post
May be some truth to this, blacks, hispanics, mediterranean, and some Asian people seem to be a bit louder and animated IMO. (I'm black btw)
I do miss going to movies in the black part of town, it was a very different experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top