Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 07:20 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

I've been to Africa, and they do it all the time there. Of course, there are no cars.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:41 PM

22,845 posts, read 6,437,988 times
I've had all kinds of people step in front of the car, maybe they want to get hit and sue?? Nah, not when they see what I'm driving....

Old 03-30-2010, 08:48 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichirenx View Post
That type of thing I am kind of on the fence about.
One does not want to racially generalize.
....regardless of whether it's true or not. Correct. Because the PC Nazis hate that, and this is their era in our history. They are all-powerful right now.

:vomit:

Quote:
However when one adds geographic location, location within certain parts of the city, and mentality, it may be applicable in some instances.
Of course. But again, "applicable" is not considered relevant.

eg here in the mid-Atlantic, blacks LOVE cell phones. Sure they're popular in general, but far far more so with blacks. Is that good or bad or neither? Matter of opinion, but it doesn't matter; if you dare to even suggest it, people have a hissy.

But it's OK to come with a movie called "White Men Can't Jump." Got it.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:56 PM

548 posts, read 1,251,828 times
I'm black and if I wanna walk across the street without looking both ways, I have a right to dammit.

o.k. did you run out of stereotypes about black people???!! LOL.

New stereotype: White people don't wash their hands after they use the bathroom. Everytime I come out of the stall, I wash and watch white women walk right past the sinks and head for the door.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:37 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,743,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYchi View Post
I'm black and if I wanna walk across the street without looking both ways, I have a right to dammit.

o.k. did you run out of stereotypes about black people???!! LOL.

New stereotype: White people don't wash their hands after they use the bathroom. Everytime I come out of the stall, I wash and watch white women walk right past the sinks and head for the door.
is not washing your hands a bad thing? ..as I check out the dirt under my nails. not washing hands is used to build up the immune system, much like eating buggers. you can google that.

i do enjoy spreading stereotypes, but only if it's the ridiculous sort.

i want to mend racial strife, so i took notice of a few black people crossing the road in crosswalks today. all is well, and the world is a better place.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:04 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
I think that it's a combination of urban ghetto culture and economic class thing. The culture part is because these people tend to cross the streets very slowly, and that can happen if they are wearing those stupid low slung baggy pants. After all, who can run in pants like that? So instead they do their slow urban shuffle across the street with their ghetto attitude. Otherwise, perhaps the chronically poor who feel that they can never afford to own a car become pedestrians that are resentful of car drivers. So they inconsiderately don't use crosswalks or pay attention to the walk signals. After all, it's their neighborhood and the drivers are just passing through. And it becomes a control issue. Or it's a cry for attention. They just want to be noticed. And lastly, they figure if they get hit by a car, they will get some sort of insurance settlement.

Anyway, a lot of people have noticed this phenomenon. It does exist.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:09 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,772,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
I've seen these so much that there is definitley a pattern. This is mostly in Berkeley, CA, but I'm not sure if it could be in other places. I drive around and often see black people just calmly strolling across the street without looking in 30 mile per hr zones with traffic. It could be at a cross walk or j walking. It's like they aren't even worried about being hit. I just don't get it. I even saw a guy standing in the middle of the steet looking up at something. I can't be the only one noticing this.
Is it only black people that youve noticed in this regard ? What about white folks, native americans, asian, and squirrels not looking both ways when crossing the street ? Your Post plainly indicates that you single out Black people ... and because you do, you should refrain from advertising your bigotry on any Forum including this one. (And this is a white person advising you thusly).

Old 03-31-2010, 06:31 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,679,772 times
Well In hartford none of the puerto ricans give a crap if a car is coming. They think they own the street and if you almost hit them they will probably try to start a fight with you.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:39 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,279,054 times
A ground hog thumbed his nose at me while crossing in front of me yesterday. Ya gotta laugh or you'll cry.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:07 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,477,883 times
No it is not black culture (ie, ghetto). I see americans of all races doing this. I go to walmart, and have to put on my breaks suddenly b/c a white woman is jetting out of the store with her baby in the cart. Does this mean that all white people do this? No. It is just a habit that some people have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates