Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 08:55 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissy View Post
No it is not black culture (ie, ghetto). I see americans of all races doing this. I go to walmart, and have to put on my breaks suddenly b/c a white woman is jetting out of the store with her baby in the cart. Does this mean that all white people do this? No. It is just a habit that some people have.
LOL! There's another behavioural pattern... women with babies thinking the whole world revolves around them, and having a babies entitles them to the best parking spots, everyone braking for them and the doors held open for them. But I treat women with babies just like everyone else. They get no special treatment from me.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:07 AM

2,301 posts, read 2,032,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
I've seen these so much that there is definitley a pattern. This is mostly in Berkeley, CA, but I'm not sure if it could be in other places. I drive around and often see black people just calmly strolling across the street without looking in 30 mile per hr zones with traffic. It could be at a cross walk or j walking. It's like they aren't even worried about being hit. I just don't get it. I even saw a guy standing in the middle of the steet looking up at something. I can't be the only one noticing this.
I've got a few observations, generally having nothing to do with anything.

Okay, I was watching an ice hockey game the other day and one team was called for offsides. It was a close call and the player who was allegedly offside argued with the linesman who made the call. It then occurred to me that, win or lose the argument, the result would be the same, a face-off at center ice.

Another observation is that there was in fact political correctness in the past. In some ways it was opposite of today's version. In the 1940's for example movies portrayed atheists and atheism as a moral negative. The guy who prayed was the hero and the guy who didn't got his commuppance, or he saw the light at the movie's end and became Christian to the sound of a full orchestra playing inspirational music.

In the 1950s a toy gun helped direct a boy towards what was seen as his manly responsibilities.

Back to movies; one man punching another has rarely been shown realistically in films, either in the past or today. In the movies, a punch will sometimes knock a man down, and sometimes it won't. It almost never draws blood or does any real damage. The man punched will gently rub his punched jaw and utter, "What was that about, sheriff?" In reality one punch can easily break bones, dislodge teeth, and dislocate jaws. It can even cause cerebral hemmorage and death. The oft-seen, "trading punches" fistfight is nothing short of absurd.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:11 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,914,224 times
I thi9nk its more ghetto culture than just black folks. See it alot in Houston, mostly teens and young adults though.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:30 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I thi9nk its more ghetto culture than just black folks. See it alot in Houston, mostly teens and young adults though.
I think that the O.P.'s observations are valid, as my friends and I have often noticed the same thing. It's a matter of it being a ghetto/urban culture phenomenon and there being a lot of ghetto/urban culture blacks. The poorer blacks live in urban areas. Most of the US black population live in urban areas. And that's why Obama did so well during the presidential election in the urban areas of every state. The well heeled/well educated blacks don't live in these areas. Instead they live in better neighborhoods where they are a minority presence. And in those areas, whether they are in the city or in the suburbs, one doesn't see many people in the streets in the daytime as they are all at work. And when you do see pedestrians in the better neighborhoods, they tend to follow the rules of the road, such as walking in crosswalks and when the walk signal is in their favour.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:07 PM

3,084 posts, read 5,236,354 times
Easily the most intellectually stimulating debate of this decade or any other...

Last edited by MrSykes; 03-31-2010 at 12:16 PM..

Old 03-31-2010, 01:05 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,740,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Is it only black people that youve noticed in this regard ? What about white folks, native americans, asian, and squirrels not looking both ways when crossing the street ? Your Post plainly indicates that you single out Black people ... and because you do, you should refrain from advertising your bigotry on any Forum including this one. (And this is a white person advising you thusly).

Another thing I noticed is about white people. They loved to be offended for other people.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:15 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,740,211 times
There were some insightful comments. I agree that it could be to claim their neighborhood and being resentful of car owners. It's not what most black people do. It's just that most of the time I see it it is black people in the particular area I'm talking about. I often see white people j walking in financial districs and I do that too. But I look and walk fast.

Another reason for not looking while crossing the street could be mental illness or being on something.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:18 PM

2,038 posts, read 4,552,445 times
Quote:
Another thing I noticed is about white people. They loved to be offended for other people.
That's just a manifestation of the "white guilt" we all have hidden deep down in our souls.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:24 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,592,281 times
Quote:
Another reason for not looking while crossing the street could be mental illness or being on something.
Here's a third reason: carelessness.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:22 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,796,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
....regardless of whether it's true or not. Correct. Because the PC Nazis hate that, and this is their era in our history. They are all-powerful right now.

:vomit:

Of course. But again, "applicable" is not considered relevant.

eg here in the mid-Atlantic, blacks LOVE cell phones. Sure they're popular in general, but far far more so with blacks. Is that good or bad or neither? Matter of opinion, but it doesn't matter; if you dare to even suggest it, people have a hissy.

But it's OK to come with a movie called "White Men Can't Jump." Got it.

Those damn black folks. What are you gonna do with them and those freakin cells!

BTW: A white man wrote "white men can't jump". If, you are insulted forward your comments to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates