U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 12:12 PM

3,614 posts, read 2,951,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxtrms View Post
Your record of inaccuracy remains unblemished.

Rights, under the U.S. system, are endowed by the Creator. Remember certain inalienable rights.

The Bill of Rights preserved in writing a few of those rights. It didn't create them as much as it documented them.
The BOR enumerated the rights of western philosophy. Rights were created by western society, and more specifically, developed over a period of time, starting primarily with ancient Greek philosophers like Aristotle and Plato. Right's do not exist a priori, but like anything else, were created by human society in order to strength the society we live in.

Quote:
Also, in order to exercise a P, you must do something to earn the authority to do so. That is what a P is.

A right exists automatically without having to be established.
Rights are a not a priori.

Quote:
For example, you don't need to get permission to sit in a park and make a speech. However, you need permission to block the streets and have a parade. One is a right, and one is a P.

This is not really difficult stuff, and I know why you say the things you say. You are a wrench-thrower who understands what is being said, but just likse to pick apart the words that transport those thoughts.
Have to agree there.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:07 AM

7,088 posts, read 12,698,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellicose View Post
Oh sure, that will make the U.S. safer. Might as well ban knives too while you're at it.
Ya left out rocks!! Rocks can be very dangerous particularly in the hands of the unskilled!! I am somewhat perplexed as to why some people have a thing against what our founding fathers insured to be one of our basic rights. They knew all too well what a government, historically speaking of course, does to an unarmed populace. History has not shown them to be kind. My grandmother taught me to shoot, at Parris Island they taught me to shoot using, almost word for word, the same things my grandmother said. She was one helluva rifle shot! By the time I was 10 years old, I knew exactly what a well aimed bullet would do to a game animal. I have been hunting for over 50 years, have no intention of stopping anytime soon. In my entire life, I have never shot anyone or anything accidentally. One of my grandmothers axioms "ALWAYS know where the firearm is pointed!!!!) I suspect that most people who have grown up with rifles, et al, know this same rule. For the most part, it is the idiots, those who learned to shoot by watching movies or TV, who tarnish the name of responsible shooters.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:15 PM

19,122 posts, read 21,367,188 times
DR, You saying you don't have a semi auto pistol with side sites?
thax you know what I'm sayin.

Old 04-17-2010, 02:04 AM

3,614 posts, read 2,951,040 times
Arizona passes bill removing permit for concealed carry.
Arizona to allow concealed weapons without permit - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100416/ap_on_re_us/us_xgr_concealed_weapons_arizona - broken link)

Note, thosepeople--the officers that protect our society--that are most at risk ofof others carrying firearms, support the move.
Quote:
However, the measure was supported by police unions representing rank-and-file officers, who said their best friend on the streets is a law-abiding citizen equipped to protect themselves or others.

Old 04-17-2010, 08:04 AM

7,843 posts, read 11,140,440 times
I haven't read any of the responses, just dropping in with a quick thought which may be a repeat

It would be a wonderful if it was the result of an underlying attitude shift on the part of human beings/human nature and occurred naturally. Since we are we are animals in pants with better tools it won't ever happen that way.
So....would it be a better place if legislated? Probably less deadly but no less violent.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:10 AM

31 posts, read 26,333 times
of course it would be! the reason most americans feel the need to bear arms is because they dont want to find themselves in a siutation were there attacker is armed and there not (rightfully so) Guns are bad period! iv heard all kinds of saying like, guns dont kill people, people kill people...true but guns make it easy for people to kill people the point here is to make it difficult for someone to kill, it would be much harder to go at someone with a knife than to shoot them from a distance, you would have to get upclose and personal plus put your own life at risk, people would think twice before doing that. I once heard a saying, if guns were meant to keep you safe then america would be the safest place in the world..........enough said

Old 11-30-2011, 12:14 PM

4,464 posts, read 9,632,464 times
Re-igniting this discussion is not necessary, thanks to all participants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates