Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 01:26 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Yeah, but the rest of us in America think we have a Constitution, and some of us even think it is a decent one and we have a moral obligation to uphold its virtues, so your idea, as usual, probably won't fly.

"Kill them all and let God sort them out" --- Workin' Hard.
So let me get this straight... The Constitution makes it illegal to hunt down and prosecute terrorists?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 01:40 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
So let me get this straight... The Constitution makes it illegal to hunt down and prosecute terrorists?
Please read the OP. It's way back at the beginning of the page. There. Have you found it yet? OK. The Constitution makes this illegal: "
"Medvedev said the laws should be broadened. [But already] some people were tortured and many disappeared, and rights people trying to document the abuses have also been slain, kidnapped, threatened or have disappeared."

Old 04-02-2010, 02:38 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Please read the OP. It's way back at the beginning of the page. There. Have you found it yet? OK. The Constitution makes this illegal: "
"Medvedev said the laws should be broadened. [But already] some people were tortured and many disappeared, and rights people trying to document the abuses have also been slain, kidnapped, threatened or have disappeared."
Note to one of your many selves: The US Constitution has nothing to do with Russia.

Now again, please help me understand how our constitution was meant to aid, abet, and coddle terrorists.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Note to one of your many selves: The US Constitution has nothing to do with Russia.

Now again, please help me understand how our constitution was meant to aid, abet, and coddle terrorists.

Back to square one. Keep trying, you'll finally get it. Read the title of the topic. Try to keep in mind, at the same time, the paragraph we just reviewed a few minutes ago. I know it's hard, but try to keep both ideas in mind at the same time, and connect them together.

"Americans could take a lesson here".

Let me explain it, boys and girls. Omaha, get your head up off the desk and stop looking out the window.

The OP thinks it would be a good idea if the US government adopted the Russian policy of torture and unexplained disappearances, when there are suspicions of wrongdoing. He seems oblivious to the presence of our Constitution, which was intended to serve as an impediment to the OP's hopes and dreams, not in Russia, but here in the USA where he wants to emulate the Russian model. In particular, Amendments V-IX,but that's pretty hard reading with lots of big words, so I don't expect you to know anything about that. Sometimes it's just known by its nickname, "Due Process", which is why you can't be executed without a trial if some bully points a finger at you and blames you for doing something bad.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-02-2010 at 02:58 PM..

Old 04-02-2010, 02:55 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,223,411 times
There's a lot of similarities between neocons and hard line Russians, so this doesn't surprise me much.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
There's a lot of similarities between neocons and hard line Russians, so this doesn't surprise me much.
Right, Remember, our objective now is to "Liberalize" the ultra-conservative government of Iran. Bring back the relatively liberal days of our friend the Shah.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:17 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
It's funny, people all of a sudden cherish the Constitution, when it comes to dealing with terrorists. When it comes to anything else our government does, much of which is unconstitutitonal, same people could care less.
I've noticed that too...

Old 04-02-2010, 03:18 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times

.................................................. .................................................. .

Not so fast. Are we talking about an action that takes place in the USA or abroad? If the act takes place in the USA, its territories, or possessions I think its crystal clear that the Constitution does apply.

The problem with what you suggest is simple. What is the dividing line between a terrorist and a criminal? If someone is accused of using a bomb or a gun in a crime does that make them a terrorist who may be handled completely outside the legal system? How about Tim McVeigh? He wasn't connected to Al Quaeda or any foreign terrorist network. He was a homegrown terrorist. Are you saying it would have been ok to ignore the Constitution in dealing with him?

Or is a "terrorist" anyone whom the President says it is?

And please stop the BS about "aiding and abetting" terrorists by asserting that they are entitled to due process under the law. The implication is that those of us who maintain that those who violate the laws inside the USA must be subjected to Constitutional due process are somehow in cahoots with the terrorists. You want to start name calling over that, I got some choice names for you too.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:47 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,209 times
Quote:
Back to square one. Keep trying, you'll finally get it. Read the title of the topic. Try to keep in mind, at the same time, the paragraph we just reviewed a few minutes ago. I know it's hard, but try to keep both ideas in mind at the same time, and connect them together.

"Americans could take a lesson here".

Let me explain it, boys and girls. Omaha, get your head up off the desk and stop looking out the window.

The OP thinks it would be a good idea if the US government adopted the Russian policy of torture and unexplained disappearances, when there are suspicions of wrongdoing. He seems oblivious to the presence of our Constitution, which was intended to serve as an impediment to the OP's hopes and dreams, not in Russia, but here in the USA where he wants to emulate the Russian model. In particular, Amendments V-IX,but that's pretty hard reading with lots of big words, so I don't expect you to know anything about that. Sometimes it's just known by its nickname, "Due Process", which is why you can't be executed without a trial if some bully points a finger at you and blames you for doing something bad.
No, the OP thinks it's time to take a HARD LINE with terrorists and go after them, along with any and all who provide any type of support whatsoever, in an effective way. Our policy now is to provide them with a stage, a star legal team, debates on access to classified information, and at worst, a "humane" death? Any trial for someone like KSM which takes more than 20 minutes is a farce.

Why is a single dollar of our tax money providing food and shelter for the Unibomber, for Zacarias Moussaoui, or for any of the first trade tower conspirators? A $.89 bullet would be far more effective.

Jtur, as usual, your head is not on the desk but firmly placed somewhere far darker and probably more snug. And I do far more on a daily basis to protect this country than you'll ever have knowledge of. I'm tired of seeing it torn apart from within.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:56 PM

Isn't it amazing how citing the Constitution is all you have to do to be accused of tearing America apart from within?

Amendment 6
In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and
public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime
shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously
ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the
accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory
process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of
Counsel for his defence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates