Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 12:40 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,552,098 times

Advertisements

Hmmm....I never saw Ronald McDonald holding a gun to a parent's head to force them to take their kids to McDonalds. Just sayin'...

That big clown, via the Ronald McDonald House, has done a lot of good, like providing either free or very low-cost lodging for families who have to take their sick children to a hospital far from home. I know of a family that personally benefitted from the kind folks at RMH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 01:02 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
Joe Camel and Ronald McDonald are pretty equal in my book. Luring kids to want a McDonald's meal is not terrific. But it's the parents who take 'em there. Cost is often key. There is very little budget-priced healthy fast food.

A McD's opening close to my home. Some of my friends want to meet there for a breakfast club. I just went online to take a look at the nutritional profile of the breakfast items. I follow a low-fat, low-sodium diet, and I follow it carefully. The only item I could order off the breakfast menu that fits what I eat is an English Muffin. Everything else is too high in fat and/or salt--and often sugar.

I would imagine that there are plentiful artificial ingredients and MSG in the food items, too.

Maybe McD can do a better job on low-fat, low-sodium offerings so I could join my friends there? And do a better job for everyone's health? Profits can go hand-in-hand with wholesome foods, can't they?

Old 04-08-2010, 01:17 PM

513 posts, read 541,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
Hmmm....I never saw Ronald McDonald holding a gun to a parent's head to force them to take their kids to McDonalds. Just sayin'...

That big clown, via the Ronald McDonald House, has done a lot of good, like providing either free or very low-cost lodging for families who have to take their sick children to a hospital far from home. I know of a family that personally benefitted from the kind folks at RMH.
Pssstttt......don't you know that's just a publicity stunt and tax write-off?

Unless they give out free pot, then they become true humanitarians!

Old 04-08-2010, 01:22 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drowningintherain2 View Post
Ronald McDonald is used to hook kids so that they have lifelong customers.
Total BS!

I grew up in the 80's when in addition to Ronald McDonald we had 'The Fry Guys', 'Hamburglar', and that big purple character (what was he called?). None of these characters made me want to eat at McDonalds any more than I would if they didn't exist.

Now the toys in the happy meals were another story.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:33 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
The bottom line is that McDonalds plays by the rules, and the rules are unrestricted capitalist free-market enterprise, and the American people have been told that they are happy with the rules, and believe what they are told.

If you want to live in a economy and society where powerful corporations control the media and can use any means at their disposal to persuade you to do anything that benefits them, then you have no right to complain when somebody does. Challenge the rules, not the players. Or be quiet.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-08-2010 at 01:46 PM..

Old 04-08-2010, 01:50 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,645,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Joe Camel and Ronald McDonald are pretty equal in my book. Luring kids to want a McDonald's meal is not terrific. But it's the parents who take 'em there. Cost is often key. There is very little budget-priced healthy fast food.

A McD's opening close to my home. Some of my friends want to meet there for a breakfast club. I just went online to take a look at the nutritional profile of the breakfast items. I follow a low-fat, low-sodium diet, and I follow it carefully. The only item I could order off the breakfast menu that fits what I eat is an English Muffin. Everything else is too high in fat and/or salt--and often sugar.

I would imagine that there are plentiful artificial ingredients and MSG in the food items, too.

Maybe McD can do a better job on low-fat, low-sodium offerings so I could join my friends there? And do a better job for everyone's health? Profits can go hand-in-hand with wholesome foods, can't they?
I think cigs are just a little worse for people than fast food....

I know McDonalds, like all other fast food places have high fat content in their diet thats why we dont eat there all the time. In fact when my daughter oreders a kids meal she prefers the apples over the fries.
It doesn't matter where you eat if a parent does not teach their kids to like healthy food, they are not gonna want it whether they eat at a fast food joint or home!
By the way, have you tried the parfait at McDonalds? Its made with yogurt, strawberries and granola and is quite tasty

Old 04-08-2010, 02:03 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
The thing is that Ronald McDonald was in fact created (along with the Happy Meal and free toys) to lure kids to McDonalds, creating lifelong consumers. He is and was created very specifically for that reason.

Obviously it's up to families to decide what their kids eat, but if you ever watch the commercials on during cartoons and other kids programming, you'd be surprised how persuasive they are.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:12 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,919,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Ask somebody on a diet if they regret eating billions of empty calories, and if their obesity has altered their behavior.

The obesity rate in the US is double that of Canada. The Canadian lifestyle is pretty much the same as ours, except that junk food points of sale are spread a lot thinner in Canada. They exist, but they are not institutionalized like they are here. The per-capita density of McDonalds in Canada is almost exactly the same as the US (about 1 per 20,000 people), but they have fewer competitors.
McDonalds doesn't necessarily make you obese though. It's the amount you eat. A person could consume a diet of nothing but candy and chips and still be thin as long as their calorie intake was less than their output. Not that I'm recommending this, but it is absolutely possible. There's even a lady who became pretty famous for losing a bunch of weight on the Taco Bell diet. You can't blame the foods themselves for making people fat.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:17 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,919,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The bottom line is that McDonalds plays by the rules, and the rules are unrestricted capitalist free-market enterprise, and the American people have been told that they are happy with the rules, and believe what they are told.

If you want to live in a economy and society where powerful corporations control the media and can use any means at their disposal to persuade you to do anything that benefits them, then you have no right to complain when somebody does. Challenge the rules, not the players. Or be quiet.
People DO have free will. Corporations don't force us to do anything. They can entice us with what they have to offer, but the individual has 100% control over their own actions.

Additionally, in this day and age, people can get on the internet and google the nutritional information for just about any fast food chain. The fat content and calories aren't exactly a secret, so it's not like the companies are tricking us all into thinking that their food is healthy.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:29 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
McDonalds doesn't necessarily make you obese though. It's the amount you eat. A person could consume a diet of nothing but candy and chips and still be thin as long as their calorie intake was less than their output. Not that I'm recommending this, but it is absolutely possible. There's even a lady who became pretty famous for losing a bunch of weight on the Taco Bell diet. You can't blame the foods themselves for making people fat.
That's not at all true. Every person needs to eat enough nutritious food to maintain reasonable health, and typically gets enough calories to maintain an average physique. If one eats several thousand empty calories at a burger joint, they still need to eat more, in order to get the necessary nutrients. And that is what puts upward pressure on "the amount you eat".

Eating only chips and candy is indeed absolutely possible, but serious deterioration of health would follow in quite a short time.

To say you can't blame the foods themselves for making people fat as as ridiculous as saying you can't credit healthy foods for making people healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates