Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 08:54 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,084,852 times

Advertisements

The News Review - NRtoday.com News | Roseburg Oregon (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EU_RUSSIA_BOMBINGS?SITE=ORROS&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLAT E=DEFAULT - broken link)

"Medvedev, himself a lawyer, said the laws should be broadened so that those who help terrorists even in small ways - "by making soup or washing clothes" - are punished. However, that is something Russian authorities have already been doing.

In my opinion, we have to create such a model for terrorist crimes that anyone who helps them - no matter what he does, be it cook the soup or wash the clothes - has committed a crime," Medvedev said.

Russian police and security forces have long been accused of seizing people suspected of aiding militants. Some people were tortured and many disappeared, and rights people trying to document the abuses have also been slain, kidnapped, threatened or have disappeared."

This is one instance where I applaud the Russian way of dealing with things. I don't hear calls from their leaders for holding trials for terrorists in Moscow, nor see lawyers queueing up to play the defense role in courtroom theater.

America should be taking notes on how to deal with such issues. Russians don't get many things right, (I've spent enough time there to see first hand how that society runs), but I'm on their side on handling this particular problem the way they are.

I'll step aside so the libs and apologists can have their say.... fire away!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 09:02 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
Yeah, but the rest of us in America think we have a Constitution, and some of us even think it is a decent one and we have a moral obligation to uphold its virtues, so your idea, as usual, probably won't fly.

"Kill them all and let God sort them out" --- Workin' Hard.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Yeah, but the rest of us in America think we have a Constitution, and some of us even think it is a decent one and we have a moral obligation to uphold its virtues, so your idea, as usual, probably won't fly.

"Kill them all and let God sort them out" --- Workin' Hard.
Be careful in attributing things as a quote that I've never written here...

But that's typical of your comebacks.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:17 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Be careful in attributing things as a quote that I've never written here...

But that's typical of your comebacks.
I used it in parody because it is typical of your social philosophy.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:23 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,942,355 times
Quote:
The News Review - NRtoday.com News | Roseburg Oregon (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EU_RUSSIA_BOMBINGS?SITE=ORROS&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLAT E=DEFAULT - broken link)

"Medvedev, himself a lawyer, said the laws should be broadened so that those who help terrorists even in small ways - "by making soup or washing clothes" - are punished. However, that is something Russian authorities have already been doing.

In my opinion, we have to create such a model for terrorist crimes that anyone who helps them - no matter what he does, be it cook the soup or wash the clothes - has committed a crime," Medvedev said.

Russian police and security forces have long been accused of seizing people suspected of aiding militants. Some people were tortured and many disappeared, and rights people trying to document the abuses have also been slain, kidnapped, threatened or have disappeared."

This is one instance where I applaud the Russian way of dealing with things. I don't hear calls from their leaders for holding trials for terrorists in Moscow, nor see lawyers queueing up to play the defense role in courtroom theater.

America should be taking notes on how to deal with such issues. Russians don't get many things right, (I've spent enough time there to see first hand how that society runs), but I'm on their side on handling this particular problem the way they are.

I'm by no means a liberal. I would say though that we've probably had more success against terrorists than the Russians have. You have to look at results. The Russians have treated a lot of people badly down through the years, and there's a lot of historical anger at them. This is different than the crazy islamic terrorists who don't like the US. Their methods will probably not be that successful. They might be better off letting go of Chechnya and the Caucasus, but that would invite other parts of Russia to pull off since nobody's really happy being part of that mess.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:48 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,134,548 times
The timing of this post is laughable after a 2nd suicide bomber attack in Moscow.

These extremists are very secretive and independent, they are not getting or needing much help to make a devestating attack.

0 for 2 on this post

Old 04-02-2010, 09:52 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,586,806 times
Quote:
That's very generous of you; offering to step aside so that people who believe in the United States Constitution can have a say. Looking at the big picture, I'm glad I live in the United States and not Russia--even granting their method of dealing with terrorists.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I'm glad I live in the United States and not Russia--even granting their method of dealing with terrorists.
And I'm glad I live here also. But the last part of your reply shows you agree with their method of dealing with terrorists - which is the whole point of the original post.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:01 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,283,997 times

.................................................. ..................................................

You know, the rightwing to me is paradoxical. They are always telling everyone how much they love America, how patriotic they are, etc. They are always making claims that only we Americans have "freedom".

They seem to love everything about this country except for the most important thing--the Constitution. Yes, the Constitution grants even thugs and riff raff something called "rights". Its not because we love thugs, riff raff, and the criminal element. Its because we realize that the lines that separate these classes from you and me can be blurred and distorted. Today, we take away the rights of the thugs. Tomorrow, its you and me that get thrown in the navy brig without access to a lawyer for several years.

I can guarantee you that other countries have flags that are just as attractive as ours. Some have parades and bands that are every bit as good as the ones you find here. What is different and we have a right to be proud of is a living Constitution that has lasted us for over 200 years. That is a huge achievement by the standards of this world. That Constitution has given us a tough, resilient system that has withstood wars, riots, economic depressions, and assassinations of the men who lead our nation. It can withstand terrorism too. Those who don't believe so are ignorant our history.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:20 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,579,011 times
It's funny, people all of a sudden cherish the Constitution, when it comes to dealing with terrorists. When it comes to anything else our government does, much of which is unconstitutitonal, same people could care less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates