Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 07:07 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,251,717 times

Advertisements

If you've lived here your whole life, you're going to have an "American accent" (which is defined in many ways depending on what part of the country you live in). I know people of all races who grew up here and speak perfect English, without an accent. With that said, accents a lot of times are influenced by your surroundings. Therefore, even if you grew up here but always hung out in a specific part of town with that culture's influence, then you're probably going to pick up the accent.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:03 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYchi View Post
Yeah, but you can speak english with clarity and still maintain a unique accent. I prefer different accents, it's what makes people special. (IMO)
And in my opinion, I prefer people with different interests and hobbies. I feel that having interesting inner qualities is much more important and special to me than them speaking with different accents, having unique styles of dressing or having outrageous tattoos on their body.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:26 AM

2,013 posts, read 3,547,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by facts101 View Post
Asians, for the most part, just speak with an American English accent, that sounds better than most people from these places. I don't know exactly why this is so, but it's the way it is. It probably has something to do with the fact that they have higher iq's on average. People may not like this stat but it's just the way it is.
Asians who came to America at a later stage have much more trouble speaking english than people of other nationalities who also came to America around the same time. Does this also have to do with iq's?

Old 04-08-2010, 01:16 PM

74 posts, read 294,367 times

YouTube - Revenge of the Nerds- Toyota is South Korean

You really don't see this that often.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:07 AM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by facts101 View Post
I have noticed that throughout the United States, many Asians that have lived in this country their whole lives, have perfect American accents. Many other groups still have a little something you can pick up on when they talk, but not Japenese, Koreans, Chinese, etc. The ones that have lived and grown up in the US have nice, just about perfect speaking voices when compared to other groups. Why?
Why WOULDN'T they?

Edit: I've read through, and I see you are saying that they don't have REGIONAL accents, not just Asian accents.

That's not necessarily true, though. I've heard Asians with Texas accents, and worked with a Japanese-American from California who sounded Californian, and there are definitely "ABCs" in New York with a New York accent.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:24 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
I always get a kick out of watching Kylie Kwong's cooking show and hearing her Aussie accent. Such a contrast compared to listening to Martin Yan cook. As an Asian American, I find him very annoying to watch and I hate his mannerisms.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:20 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,477,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Speaking perfect American English without a trace of a foreign accent is not a trait that is specific to first generation American-born Asians....as another poster pointed out.

Its ok that you are an Asiaphile, just be honest about the true motivations for this thread.
^5!

Preach the truth calipoppy! Preach it! lol

Old 04-09-2010, 12:20 PM

375 posts, read 1,576,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Very simple. They don't grow in neighborhoods where it is considered a badge of honor to speak with an extremely non-standard dialect. They haven't developed a musical genre that uses non-standard English.
100% agree. However, I want to add that there are some that choose to speak Ebonics or whatever accent, and when they do, they also do that very well.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:52 PM

122 posts, read 330,715 times
as an asian-american, the OP's question is highly insulting. we were born here, smart one, just like all the other white, black, hispanic, and native americans who were born here too. so guess which language we end up speaking perfectly? english! i cant believe you seriously asked such a dumb question. if you were born in korea and lived there your whole life, i bet your arse you'd speak perfect korean too.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:09 PM

375 posts, read 1,576,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peptea View Post
as an asian-american, the OP's question is highly insulting. we were born here, smart one, just like all the other white, black, hispanic, and native americans who were born here too. so guess which language we end up speaking perfectly? english! i cant believe you seriously asked such a dumb question. if you were born in korea and lived there your whole life, i bet your arse you'd speak perfect korean too.
He's talking about regional accents within the US. He is saying Asians tend to speak perfect or standrad English as opposed to having certain accents. Why is that insulting? His question isn't dumb, your reaction to it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates