U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 07:58 PM

1,964 posts, read 4,427,237 times

Advertisements

I think you misread the article, or injected your own preconceptions in it. What the author is bemoaning is the lack of diversity in Portland, considering Oregon has at least a 16% minority population. He's just pondering the costs of racial compartmentalization/enclaves, not pushing for school bussing plans or anything. As he said "Advocating for the coloring of white neighborhoods seems extreme."

One drawback of living in an area that segregates itself is that it may get stigmatized as unfriendly to educated foreign-born researchers, especially in high tech fields like IT, engineering, biotech, aerospace & medicine. These are the kind of jobs & firms that are crucial to a state's economic success in the 21st century.

Along with that is that is the trickle down effect on public universities. Many of the brightest stars dong PhD work at top institutions are minorities (especially in science/engineering) and will be disuaded from going to a town that seems hick or redneck.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:23 PM

548 posts, read 1,078,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulpan View Post
Author of the article must be a nonwhite, as Vaughnwilliams suggested, or if white,then nicely brainwashed by the multiculturalism/diversity doctrine. He plainly ignores the fact, that most of the Portland whites wish to keep that way, so the place wouldn't become less civilized.
Yeah, nice lily white towns filled with pedophiles, drug addicts, and mass murderers is do Ideal.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:24 PM

640 posts, read 1,513,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulpan View Post
Author of the article must be a nonwhite, as Vaughnwilliams suggested, or if white,then nicely brainwashed by the multiculturalism/diversity doctrine. He plainly ignores the fact, that most of the Portland whites wish to keep that way, so the place wouldn't become less civilized.
Wow. Seriously. I leave a comment that I felt was objective and fair and I get...this?!

Old 04-05-2010, 08:29 PM

8,293 posts, read 22,453,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYchi View Post
The article is a little offensive and I'm black, but America's demographics are surely changing and European majority cities are decreasing. In other words. Get used to it.
So... You just jump in and start swinging, right?

Interesting.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:30 PM

580 posts, read 916,692 times
There's absolutely nothing wrong with living in a White majority city. However, a lot of people like to see some diversity where they are, hence multiculturalism being a strong "selling" point. But good people are good people regardless of ethnicity or whatever.
I personally would rather live in a metro area with a more even representation of ethnicity, but that's just me.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:31 PM

Paulpan is the reason why I got the hell out of the Midwest. Most of those people have his attitude, even in the big city of Chicago.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:31 PM

35 posts, read 43,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
This article (http://www.newgeography.com/content/00609-sushi-without-japanese-portlands-cultural-dilemma - broken link) irritates me. I'm not going to call it anti-white, but I'm going to call it "irritating". I don't understand what's wrong with living in a city that has a European American majority.

This is why I think multiculturalism and racial diversity is overrated.

A city doesn't have to have a non-white majority to be a good place to live.

To be honest, it's crap like the statements in that article that make me feel a little insignificant in America just because of my race (White/Caucasian). It makes me feel that I have no culture just because of my race. Every human being belongs to a culture regardless of their race or ethnicity.

Here's a quote from the article:

Advocating for the coloring of white neighborhoods seems extreme. But Portlanders do themselves a disservice by not at least discussing the potential consequences of living in a whitewashed city.

My question is: What the hell?

I know I make quite a few threads on race, but there are many things about it that just annoy me, such as the content of that article.

Thoughts? Opinions?

*Please don't complain about me or my post. I've had enough of people doing that when I make threads. Just state your thoughts and opinions. That's all I ask*
I agree with you on your city comment. I would say that there are many nice places that have almost no diversity. My hometown for example is 99% White. And there is nothing wrong with it in my opinion.

I don't think you should feel insignificant though. You need to put things in perspective. Most of the positions of power in the United States are held by Whites. Most American history has been shaped by Whites. There is a lot to be proud of, both past and present.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:48 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,040,730 times
Quote:
Yeah, nice lily white towns filled with pedophiles, drug addicts, and mass murderers is do Ideal.
You do a great job of stereotyping.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:39 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
Quote:
They were arrested for attempted sexual assault on children...that's a crime.
So, if the police did their job and they were arrested, and nobody was assaulted, what's your problem?

Old 04-05-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
So, if the police did their job and they were arrested, and nobody was assaulted, what's your problem?
You are from Texas...that figures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates