Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 10:37 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,858,428 times

Advertisements

I never said it was all for criminal activity. So people can assume whatever they wish about someone they have never had the pleasure or displeasure of meeting.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:09 AM

446 posts, read 831,087 times
While I tend to agree with one person much more than another on the last few pages of this thread I gotta say this is getting petty. It's like fighting on the playground because someone got called a bad name or someone called someone's mama fat.

I think, and don't jump on me if I'm wrong, but I THINK that one person is saying that blacks can, and usually do ruin communities that were once nice, safe neighborhoods, the other person, the candidate for the NAACP (so to speak) says that all black people are good people...it doesn't matter if they sell crack and kill babies with drive by shootings, it's all the white man's fault.

I'm somewhere in the middle....seen plenty in my 46 years and I can tell you I've seen neighborhoods decline when taken over by blacks. I've also seen white trailer trash ruin, well, their communities because they're just flat out trash....so it can go both ways.

What I say and what I truly feel is that each person is responsible for their own life. They can "be all that they can be" or however it goes because everyone has the opportunity to do well here. There are so many grants and entitlement programs that if used correctly and responsibly when one needs a hand up (NOT A HAND OUT) each person can make something of themselves! It's not anyone's fault but their own if they don't make jack of their lives.

It's the cowards way out to blame someone else for your own failure so to the people that say their failures are due to someone else I say "MAN UP" and take responsibility for your own lives and get on with living.

To me it's that damn simple. It doesn't really require a 50-60 page debate (or longer) to state that you are responsible for your own success or failure in America. Period.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:32 AM

Good thing we're only on page 42... lol

I would like to answer the OP. "Nothing, unless you aren't white, living in that community"

Old 05-05-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
Good thing we're only on page 42... lol

You're right! LOL I thought this thread was much longer...sure seems like it!

Old 05-05-2010, 12:02 PM

Honestly, I'm not sure why, after the OP has requested it locked, that it is still open. Any mods awake out there in CD land?

Old 05-05-2010, 01:08 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,928,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrn0224 View Post
To me it's that damn simple. It doesn't really require a 50-60 page debate (or longer) to state that you are responsible for your own success or failure in America. Period.
Only someone white, or close to it, would say something like that. Color is so pervasive a separator in our society that a person, for no other reason but their color, a person possessing all the personal drive, talent, or whatever else is needed to 'succeed' in America can be thwarted at every turn, in their quest to become fully franchised in This American Life.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:34 PM

You're right, on one account. White people can be discriminated against, and have been, in the work place, just like "black" people. Quit with the sob stories about whitey holdin everyone back, that's an old excuse that doesn't fly

Old 05-05-2010, 01:43 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,704,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
You're right, on one account. White people can be discriminated against, and have been, in the work place, just like "black" people. Quit with the sob stories about whitey holdin everyone back, that's an old excuse that doesn't fly
If that were true then unemployment and poverty statistics would be just the same for whites as it is for blacks....unless you factor that black laziness and irresponsibity account for that difference. Some whites try to paint the picture that whites suffer all the same impediments as blacks, in degree and or kind, yet, manage to do so much better than blacks and not whine about it either....... I know....I know.....Gd maid white folks naturally superior and gave you great work ethic and personal responsibility genes.....lol.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Only someone white, or close to it, would say something like that. Color is so pervasive a separator in our society that a person, for no other reason but their color, a person possessing all the personal drive, talent, or whatever else is needed to 'succeed' in America can be thwarted at every turn, in their quest to become fully franchised in This American Life.
You don't have to be white, OR "close to it" to succeed in America. EVERYONE is discriminated against in one way or another....fat people, ugly people. blondes, big boobed women, small boobed women, women in general!!!, bald people, people with disabilities, and people of EVERY race.

I've seen people without legs get on with life and succeed...I've seen people lose their arms in combat and come home and make a life for themselves, and I've seen poor people, black AND white, succeed because they have the drive and motivation to do so. Everyone has problems and obstacles, everyone!!! To keep using excuses is the cowards way out, and the lazy persons way out. Success usually isn't just handed to anyone unless your last name is Trump....a person must work for it, and take advantage of the help that the gov't offers like grants, medicare, social security disability, food stamps, etc.....I keep saying if it's used as a hand UP instead of a hand out it can actually help you get somewhere....doesn't matter who you are. Period. Seen it happen, many times. Excuses of any kind are just B.S....

I KNOW that there are exceptions to all of this, but in general you are in charge of your life and what you do with it!

Old 05-05-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
If that were true then unemployment and poverty statistics would be just the same for whites as it is for blacks....unless you factor that black laziness and irresponsibity account for that difference. Some whites try to paint the picture that whites suffer all the same impediments as blacks, in degree and or kind, yet, manage to do so much better than blacks and not whine about it either....... I know....I know.....Gd maid white folks naturally superior and gave you great work ethic and personal responsibility genes.....lol.

No it wouldn't be the same. But that's because blacks are the minority, remember? Or can't you compute the fact that less of someone makes a statistic smaller?

Nobody made anyone. We all evolved from single cell organisms. Some of us, apparently evolved farther than others. Some of us are still clinging to hatred and oppression of over a century past and using it as our excuse. Not all, but some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates