Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2010, 07:13 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,676,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
So, I did understand that right, you think that it is okay for blacks to be racist against whites based on history. Great. Of course you are not the only one who I've met who has this viewpoint. A few years ago my uncle unleashed the same mentality at a family get-together at a city park. He was in WWII and fought on Iwo Jima against the Japanese. To this day he resents the Japanese. Of course the people in the park were not the same Japanese people who he faced in battle. In fact, the people in the park very possibly were not even of Japanese decent. They were just Asian. So it's racist on that score, but even if they were actual Japanese people occupying those two or three nearby picnic tables, it would be totally misplaced resentment. Okay, yeah, I can understand why he might feel as he does. But is it okay? No, of course not. Sometimes rational thought has to overcome emotion, even if the emotion is based on history, or more than one person.

Like I said, there's more than a few white folks who will swear that their reasons for racism are perfectly acceptable. Hey, I got it, you and those white folks could argue back and forth over whose racism is more legitimate. Of course in the end all of you would be wrong.
No...since you put it that way. I don't accept the term "racist" being applied to what it is black people believe and feel towards whites. Its not the same thing. Its like when people say that Africans had enslaved Africans long before Europeans arrived and Africans sold their own people. The problem is slavery in Africa, pre European slave traders, was NOTHING like slavery in the Americas. However, when people use the term slavery, they have a template or definition formed from what existed in the America's....when it was actually a lot different. There was not even a term, in West African languages, that mapped to the European meaning of slave. In Africa, war far would result in captives and those captives put to service for the capturing tribe. They had nearly all the rights of regular tribe. They were allowed to marry into the tribe....there kids were full members of the tribe...etc..etc. I have been to Africa and spoke with historians. YOu can also learn this by reading "Slave Narritives".

I digressed but my point to you is that I don't accept your semantics. A different term should be used to distinguish what it is that blacks feel, its motivation, from what it is that whites feel and its motivation, because they are different.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:12 AM

[quote=paulpan;13761839]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
This is a nation, of the people, by the people, and for the people, which created laws that enslaved black people and relegated them to third class citizens to be inferior to whites.
No, this is not the nation which enslaved blacks. It was this nation's ancestors who did it. This nation created a major progress for blacks in recent decades by creating laws, which make blacks equal.
And these blacks have never been enslaved, it was their ancestors who were. Therefore any hate comming from these blacks is unjustified. I would understand the blame from the blacks who were actually mistreated, but I refuse to take the blame/hate from nowdays blacks, because it was not them, and it was not me!
Whites living in recent decades should actually be thanked by the blacks (living in recent decades) for finishing the time when blacks were mistreated, and for creating full equality.
You need to ask yourself whether or not black oppression was limited to slavery. Are you suggesting that once slavery ended that not only did its legacy (economical, cultural, psychological, geographical…etc) end with it, but from that point forward the playing field was even? Whites tend to totally skip over the 100 year apartheid system that existed called “Jim Crow”, that followed slavery, legally, up until the late 1960’s.

Southern trees bear strange fruit,
Blood on the leaves and blood at the root,
Black bodies swinging in the southern breeze,
Strange fruit hanging from the poplar trees.

Pastoral scene of the gallant south,
The bulging eyes and the twisted mouth,
Scent of magnolias, sweet and fresh,
Then the sudden smell of burning flesh.

Here is fruit for the crows to pluck,
For the rain to gather, for the wind to suck,
For the sun to rot, for the trees to drop,
Here is a strange and bitter crop

Those lyrics sung by Billy Holiday did not come from the era of slavery, but well afterwards. South Africa did not have slavery but a Jim Crow system known as apartheid and the world recognized the oppressive nature of that institution and its impact upon blacks. Yet, when we talk of black oppression in America, whites only will only mention slavery. Why is that? Its because they then can say…..”Yeah….that was wrong….but all the victims and all the perpetrators are now dead and that there is nothing that could or should be done about it now”. However, that cannot be said for those who lived under the oppression of “Jim crow”. There are many black folks, including my own living parents, who were reread in a share cropping (slave cropping) household in the Mississippi Delta. Whites don’t bring themselves to acknowledge the oppressive and evil nature of those times because there are millions of people still living from those times. Hence, to acknowledge its wrong and impact would, in the eyes of many whites, would create a Pandora’s Box of potential responsibilities and redress. Whites just don’t want ANY effort directed by the government to fix the wrong the government is responsible for.

That having been said, society managed to build a dam to stop the unfettered flow of white racism....not by popular vote...but by executive orders or acts of congress AGAINST THE WILL of THE WHITE MASSES. Black rights did not come through the ballot box and whites deciding to do the right thing, rather, they were FORCED upon the people by government orders. Today, the only legal conduit to white racism is through politics and the aim of keeping government “Small” to prevent any efforts at social spending that could repair or mitigate the legacy of years of oppression upon black people. All racist have not died off. Its still the same nation that it has always been with the exception that the goal now is not to oppresses black people, but rather, to suppress their recovery.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 04-16-2010 at 09:31 AM..

Old 04-16-2010, 08:34 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,271,809 times
Throw all the money you want at the problem and nothing will change until the underclass black thug hip hop culture goes away. Education is the only way out and some blacks don't want to accept that or are to damned dumb to realize it.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
Throw all the money you want at the problem and nothing will change until the underclass black thug hip hop culture goes away. Education is the only way out and some blacks don't want to accept that or are to damned dumb to realize it.
Only 27% of jobs in the economy require more than 2 years of college education. If everyone got "an education" only 27% of them could get the "good jobs" (what kind of jobs would everyone else have to take?). Furthermore, even with the education someone in China or India can and would do the job for a quarter of the salary. Is the reason that so many engineers are out of work due to them not getting an education? Is the reason that the unemployment rate jumped from 4.2 percent to 9.7 percent, in a few years, due to the fact that people stopped going to school? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:58 AM

So you're saying not to get an education?

Old 04-16-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
So you're saying not to get an education?
Nope...I am saying that the problem runs much deeper than simply getting an education. Getting a good job should not require one to be a Rhodes Scholar (hyperbole...of course). STructurally our economy has changed. Working hard has always been the backbone of our economic system....not a college degree.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:36 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,473,185 times
I thought this thread was about "what is wrong with a white majority city" and not "what is wrong with them black people now?".

Old 04-16-2010, 12:08 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,027,807 times
Quote:
No...since you put it that way. I don't accept the term "racist" being applied to what it is black people believe and feel towards whites. Its not the same thing. Its like when people say that Africans had enslaved Africans long before Europeans arrived and Africans sold their own people. The problem is slavery in Africa, pre European slave traders, was NOTHING like slavery in the Americas. However, when people use the term slavery, they have a template or definition formed from what existed in the America's....when it was actually a lot different. There was not even a term, in West African languages, that mapped to the European meaning of slave. In Africa, war far would result in captives and those captives put to service for the capturing tribe. They had nearly all the rights of regular tribe. They were allowed to marry into the tribe....there kids were full members of the tribe...etc..etc. I have been to Africa and spoke with historians. YOu can also learn this by reading "Slave Narritives".

I digressed but my point to you is that I don't accept your semantics. A different term should be used to distinguish what it is that blacks feel, its motivation, from what it is that whites feel and its motivation, because they are different.
You wrote this to me and I'm not sure why. It isn't connected to anything I've said other than I have described racism against white people as "racism". The rest of the post baffles me.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Nope...I am saying that the problem runs much deeper than simply getting an education. Getting a good job should not require one to be a Rhodes Scholar (hyperbole...of course). STructurally our economy has changed. Working hard has always been the backbone of our economic system....not a college degree.
Well, there are many different types of education not just a collage degree. some people aren't suited for collage

Old 04-16-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
You wrote this to me and I'm not sure why. It isn't connected to anything I've said other than I have described racism against white people as "racism". The rest of the post baffles me.
what is racism?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.