Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 03:51 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,836,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Wow. Then I don't get it. Why are they doing that to the OP? That's not right.
What? Outsourcing the processing of his account? Personally, I'd feel relieved if my credit card issuer made the American snoops go to India to get my personal information.

Actually, I'd love to have a foreign card. They won't mail an invoice to another country. But now that you can do it all paperless, I could get a card on a foreign bank at a foreign address, and keep it forever. And make the monthly payments online direct from my USA bank account. American snoops wouldn't even know I had an account. Thanks for inspiring me to think of that idea.

I have an interesting anecdote about that. When I moved from Canada to the US, my Canadian Visa wouldn't let me keep their card, so I had to apply for a US card. I was turned down, because they "couldn't find" any credit history for me. I wrote to the Comptroller of the Currency in Washington DC, and explained that the card company didn't seem to be trying very hard to figure out how to phone Canada and ask about my history with my Visa card. Three week's later, my US Visa card arrived in the mail. I was impressed with their clout.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-09-2010 at 04:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 04:06 PM

442 posts, read 964,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
I put my name in there and it said my house is worth $1 million+ and in a below average neighborhood! LOL! It also said my Mom has no children....she has 6. Also has my husband married to his ex-wife still and apparently she is living with us! Also my age and my Moms are wrong and the year my house was built is off by 12 years.
I got a kick out of mine too, 1 million + for my house right!!! All the same info as you...well except for the 6 kids. LOL

Old 04-10-2010, 01:30 AM

39,031 posts, read 22,996,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLover99 View Post
Okay, just got a letter that one of our credit cards is going to be sending our private information to India.

We've had this account for years and always appreciated that the store was very 'American' and even sponsored some big sporting events.

So evidently they're going to outsource the credit card handling and it's going to India.

I know how I feel....what would you think?
I would be outraged at my sensitive information is being accessed by folks in another country that isn't bound by US laws.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichirenx View Post
Since you are forewarned I would suggest closing your account.
I would guess that some credit card companies have already done this and do not plan on letting the consumer know.
Most companies would not be forthright about this so I give the OP's company credit for honesty at least. What makes me nervous is calling a customer representative and they have limited English skills. This is not a guarantee that the person isn't in the US but it is telling when you constantly encounter reps with limited English skills.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I would be more worried about what these search engines in the USA can do.

This one ain't the average search engine! Check out http://www.spokeo.com

Punch your name in there and let it fly.

Unbelievable the stuff that will come up!
Fortunately, no info exist for me on this site. I had to try a few names and was shocked with some of the information that was available on my friend, especially the length of time she has resided at her present residence. Could this be tied to property ownership records?

Old 04-10-2010, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Credit cards going to India? Guess what: your credit information is there already. Have you ever tried telephoning Equifax to get information about your credit report? They're based in Atlanta, but I can tell you that if you call the number they've got listed, you'll be talking to people for whom English is most definitely not a first language (and who have been carefully schooled in the art of talking while saying nothing). Getting information about your own credit report out of them is like talking to a brick wall.
Ok ... Now THIS is appalling. It's bad enough that they credit reporting agencies have all our confidential information but exporting it to India or other countries? This is an outrage!

Old 04-10-2010, 09:30 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,836,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Most companies would not be forthright about this so I give the OP's company credit for honesty at least. What makes me nervous is calling a customer representative and they have limited English skills. This is not a guarantee that the person isn't in the US but it is telling when you constantly encounter reps with limited English skills.
Do you have any idea how many Americans have "limited English skills", even though English is the only language they know at all? India has very high academic standards, any high school graduate in India can speak and write English more correctly than the average American. They simply have an accent and some idioms that you have trouble with, as do Australians and Cockneys and Scots. For many Indians, English is their second or even third language, and they still have better command of it than an average American in a call center, some of which are in prisons. You may criticize your credit card company if you like, but please to not belittle the Indian people for their intellect or language skills.

As I pointed out before, India's constitution guarantees a right to privacy, and America's doesn't. What does that tell you?

(Note: India's Supreme Court first recognized in 1964 that there is a right of privacy implicit in the Constitution under Article 21, which states, "No person shall be deprived of his life or personal liberty except according to procedure established by law." The US Constitution has similar language, but no court in the USA has ever ruled that there is a general right of privacy, but only that certain classes of people have a right to privacy in certain instances.)

Last edited by jtur88; 04-10-2010 at 09:49 AM..

Old 04-10-2010, 12:52 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,736,948 times
That site has me living in two locations and it has alot of misinformation on me.Looks like they don't keep a very accurate or upto date infomation.This has been avialble for years by buying any city directory which is a large book giving the same infomation. Almost every business has those for years. But like this it foten given false inroamtion and is not u to date really.Lawyers all buy them every years and always have just as a instance,

Last edited by texdav; 04-10-2010 at 01:05 PM..

Old 04-24-2010, 07:24 AM

304 posts, read 887,554 times
I'm still pondering what to do, it seems with the credit bureaus that our info is already offshore (wherever).

I also worry about customer service (remember Dell?!).

I just wonder if it's not futile trying to protect private information when it's les and less private. Heck, I don't even like google maps (luckily we're still hard to find on mapping apps). Probably not for long.

We may just leave one card alone and primarily use debit attached to our local credit unions. Seems the thieves are going to try to hack a big info store than a small one, but I would imagine smaller banks have smaller security.

AAARRRRGGGH!

Old 04-24-2010, 10:01 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,039,773 times
Regarding spokeo, you should be concerned regardless of the accuracy of your listing. Over time, your listing will become more accurate through continued data mining. To remove yourself from Spokeo's site, look on the bottom right hand side of the screen for a link marked "privacy" and follow the instructions.

Some of the information is gathered from public records, but other bits come from public sites like Facebook. If you are a member and are not up-to-speed on the current information-sharing issues with Facebook, I strongly suggest that you do so right now. I am very concerned that we are raising a generation of children whose privacy rights have been so eroded that they are unable to recognize the inherent danger in a transparent society. Furthermore, I think many older adults are completely unaware of what is happening and use these sites in similar ignorance.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 04-24-2010 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates