Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 05:34 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyboyy View Post
I really dont think their has been research that has proved that smoking 40 cigs a day is just as bad as eating a big steak everyday or is their??

Its just common sense inhaling SMOKE of any kind cant be good, whereas you can eat a diet full of red meat your entire life and not have any related health problems with which i might add the majority of people do.
Someone said that doctors change their minds all the time on whats bad. I was just providing an answer that showed, what they are talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 06:19 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I have recently changed my diet. I have ruled out red meat of any kind, with the exception of one day a week.

Now, before I start getting called a Marxist, I don't want to mandate that everyone eats healthy. Its a free country, and if you want to kill yourself by eating steak every night, so be it.

My inspiration for changing my diet, came from Clint Eastwood. I watched his biography the other day, and he was asked what the secret to his longevity was. (Come on, the man is in his 80's, and still going strong, and looks great) He said part of it was exercise, but the rest was that he doesn't eat red meat, hardly at all. Once or twice a year he will eat a small steak, but thats it.

Part of my decision also, was because I know whats in hamburger. Especially the crappy ones that cost a dollar at McDonalds and Burger King. Its not meat you're eating, its spinal cord, and connective tissue, and muscle from parts of the body you wouldn't dream of eating. And even the steak you get at the grocers is so packed full of steroids and antibiotics its crazy.

I was raised to believe that you are supposed to eat "meat and potatoes" at every meal. However, this was an ideal because we though rich folks ate like that. However, thats not really true either. Most nobleman and women that we working class looked up to, ate fish, poultry, and various other animals. (by poultry, I mean birds in general, not just chicken)

So why is this still seen as "normal" by society? Its not a normal diet for humans, its part of our obesity problem, and other health issues.

I have dropped, no crap, 10lbs in three weeks of eating a steak once a week. I only eat fish, chicken, and pork most of the time. I have substituted cattle burger, for turkey burger, and I honestly can't taste the difference.

Is it time our doctors start telling us to cut down on the cow? Is it time that we celebrate with a tuna steak, instead of a T-bone?

Again, I'm not saying we should make people eat healthy. It just seems to me that our society expects people to eat unhealthy, because its some kind of status symbol.
I agree with you 100% that what's considered "normal" eating has to change. Just as we found ways to make smoking socially unacceptable, we now have to find ways to do the same with food.

I think the best way we could could have accomplished this was to let people pay directly out of pocket for all or most of their health care. When insurance or the government pick up the tab, it doesn't register with people how much their unhealthy habits are costing them, making them slow to change their behavior. Of course, now that the cost of health care is so out of control, it's probably not feasible to do that for a lot of people.

I highly recommend the book Food Rules by Michael Pollan. In it he mentions that there used to be a saying "Better to pay the grocer than the doctor". Of course, that saying was more popular when people paid directly out of pocket for their health care (and health care spending as a % of GDP was a lot lower as well. Hmmmm....)

Amazon.com: Food Rules: An Eater's Manual (9780143116387): Michael Pollan: Books

I also like his motto:

1. Eat food. (He defnite what that is in the book. A lot of what we eat is not actually food!)

2. Mostly Plants. (As you're discovering--too much red meat is not a good thing. In his other books, he talks extensively about our terribly unhealthful "factory farming" methods of raising cattle and fowl)

3. Not too much. ('nuff said. Interestingly enough...if you eat real food, you will be less likely to overeat. It's the processed foods that keep people feeling hungry).

Old 04-11-2010, 07:04 PM

25,690 posts, read 18,773,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post

3. Not too much. ('nuff said. Interestingly enough...if you eat real food, you will be less likely to overeat. It's the processed foods that keep people feeling hungry).
I agree about the overeating, but what's the definition of 'real food'? You'll get ten different answers from ten different people. That's because our tastes differ. Unfortunately, the PC crowd considers things like bean sprouts and tofu to be real food. That's what's in vogue this month. But I have to say, I don't consider that real food at all. And if I had to live on friggin salads and radish slices, I'd sooner not live; just like if I had to live on red meat, I'd have a very hard time with that as well.

Small portions; variety of foods. End of story.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:27 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
but what's the definition of 'real food'?
Food that hasn't come from a factory or chemical plant.

Some people's responses on here are quite enlightening. The whole "I'm an American, so if I want to eat a whole cow and a bag of refined sugar a week I will" is pretty much what I think is wrong with America. Eating fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and whole grains isn't some kind of hippie liberal conspiracy. It's a balanced diet.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:29 AM

122 posts, read 330,620 times
well, realistically most people will not change their diets. what should probably change is how much exercise we get. as long as you expend more energy than you take in, you shouldnt become a blimp. it would be nice if cities could be made bike-and-pedestrian-friendly, but here we are enmeshed in a car culture. this country was made to make everyone a fata$$

Old 04-12-2010, 12:23 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peptea View Post
well, realistically most people will not change their diets. what should probably change is how much exercise we get. as long as you expend more energy than you take in, you shouldnt become a blimp. it would be nice if cities could be made bike-and-pedestrian-friendly, but here we are enmeshed in a car culture. this country was made to make everyone a fata$$
Anyone involved in the weight loss industry, or nutrition, or medical care will tell you.

Health is consists of 90% diet, and 10% comes from exercise.

I have a great Uncle who exercises daily, jogs at least 5 miles a day, and he still had a heart attack. The doctor said it wasn't because of his exercise, it was his diet. He ate meat, and high fat stuff constantly.

Now, he isn't every person, but it kind of helps to prove what I said before.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:39 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
My wife once showed ma a chart of how many calories are burned by various activities. I was heartened to discover that I use more calories watching TV all day then I would in a half-hour at the gym. Watching TV takes longer, but it's more effective. After all, what's the hurry?

Old 04-12-2010, 02:40 PM

im korean, and i gotta say, eating korean food has really helped in keeping me slim and fit. not that all koreans are slim, or that koreans eat any less. but rice, noodles, veggies, tea, and occasional (and i do mean occasional, as in once a month or two months) korean bbq is a pretty nice way to "diet".

of course, i dont think the majority of americans would go for a korean diet

Old 04-12-2010, 03:13 PM

112 posts, read 140,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peptea View Post
im korean, and i gotta say, eating korean food has really helped in keeping me slim and fit. not that all koreans are slim, or that koreans eat any less. but rice, noodles, veggies, tea, and occasional (and i do mean occasional, as in once a month or two months) korean bbq is a pretty nice way to "diet".

of course, i dont think the majority of americans would go for a korean diet
Id never give up meat i just love it too much id rather die 10 years younger than not eat meat my whole life... im sure loads of people feel the same way.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:19 PM

oh id never give up meat myself. but i cant eat bbq every week. it's just too heavy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates