Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 05:18 PM

389 posts, read 776,612 times

Advertisements

I'm sure y'all have noticed that most of today's generation is very dependent on technology. Things like cellphones, ipods, & facebook/myspace. I wonder how much of today's society is being eaten alive by totally unnecessary things like this.

For example, I saw a guy in the store the other day just buying some milk. All of a sudden, he flips out one of those fancy ass ITouch cellphones & starts texting like mad. It looked strange to me.

I can also remember numerous times that I saw a homeless man on the corner with a change cup & a beautiful expencive lookin' ipod in one ear. It look's like some people would rather have access to Myspace & portable rap music than a home!

Have you observed the same sort of thing? Do you think that people these days are too reliant on technology or not? Do you think these things are absolutely necessary for people to have these days?

Thanks. from jessie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 06:02 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I really don't see many as any different than when the tleephone was invented for households;ditch witch to dig trenches or any other thing. I guess also fire and it seems some should not be allowed fire.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:18 PM

968 posts, read 2,623,210 times
that man was just making sure he got the proper milk for his pregnant wife, he verified that he needed whole milk for his developing baby, this technology helped him to be a good father and husband.

btw i know that homeless guy, he lost his house in the recession. he sold everything to insure his wife kept the house for their daughter. the only thing keeping him going is the inspirational music given to him on that ipod from his church leader while he gets back on his feet.

you shouldn't criticize people when you haven't walked a mile in their shoes.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:33 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
I'd like to remind everyone of the site Administrator's directive for participating in this forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator
Great Debates is meant for respectful, intelligent, serious, well thought-out, slower-paced debates about all kinds of interesting issues. This forum is not limited to politics. There will be no tolerance for insulting other posters, personal attacks on politicians or others, and trolling. This is not the place for distorting your opponents' statements, one-liners, snarky posts, charged language, polls, nitpicking, chatter, tired jokes, or answering without reading the whole thread.
Please put some thought into responses before posting, and make sure that you have something more to say than just "I agree" or "I disagree." Posts that do not meet these criteria will (and have been) deleted.

Thanks.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:55 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
I've noticed the same sort of thing. There are a lot of things I don't have, and people are surprised that I don't.

While I do own a cellphone, it isn't Internet-capable. I'm not going to get one just because it could make things "easier" for me at some point in the future. I'll just be unavailable. I'll be gone the last week of July, and I won't log in until I come back.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:10 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,089 times
I think it's overkill these days and many people don't even realize it. There are many Facebook, Twitter addicted people who will say that these sites add spice to their life when in truth theres a real damaging and addictive factor going on. People are so ashamed to talk about it, but it's there.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:20 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,193,585 times
I'm sure people were once looking at the transition from hunter/gatherer to planting and maintaining crops as something strange to be dependent on. We evolve, and things that are newer technology evolve right along with us.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:34 PM

25,690 posts, read 18,773,845 times
I would say yes, for sure. But then, I don't trust technology absolutely. I try to think about what I would need to do to live if it were gone. That's one reason much of the newest stuff is totally Greek to me. Yes, I have a computer (obviously), but seriously, I don't even really know what a crackberry or I-phone (sp?) does. I don't care, either. My cell phone allows me to talk to someone. That's as far as I've ever gotten with a phone. I have a prepaid cell phone and have spent maybe 30 dollars on minutes in the last 6 months. I hardly ever use it and it's the only phone I have.

I find much of the newest technology unnecessary and undesirable (for me). In fact, as I said, I don't really even know what much of it does--which is fine because I don't need it. I find most of the gadgets people carry around these days or have plugged into their head to be annoying and sometimes dangerous (texting while driving). The responses people have to their little toys remind me of a baby crying out in the middle of the night for a tit and mommy jumping up or dropping whatever she is doing to placate and coddle junior. Have you noticed what people will interrupt just to answer a telemarketing call? Sheesh, half the time I don't even answer mine even if I know who it is.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:47 PM

588 posts, read 2,828,503 times
I wouldn't say that people are necessarily too dependent on technology; more that they've been suckered into thinking they need it by savvy - er, slimy - marketing campaigns and peer pressure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
My cell phone allows me to talk to someone. That's as far as I've ever gotten with a phone. I have a prepaid cell phone and have spent maybe 30 dollars on minutes in the last 6 months. I hardly ever use it and it's the only phone I have.
Yup, I'm in the exact same boat. A Motorola Tracfone works fine for me.

I design "smart" phones and tablet computers for a living, so I suspect I know a wee bit more about these devices than most people. But I'm also smart enough to know that I don't have to go out and buy one for myself just because there's a shiny ad online or my cousin Jim Bob just bought one, or the 3 millionth useless "app" for it has just been released.

But hey, if it keeps my paycheck coming, I guess it can't be all that bad!

Last edited by juggler; 06-27-2010 at 10:56 PM..

Old 06-27-2010, 10:50 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
i dont think so-- since retirement i have become 100% reconnected to the country i left behind 33 years ago when i came here. this was accomplished thru the miracle of the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates