U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2010, 04:13 PM

774 posts, read 1,728,157 times

Advertisements

Which form of privilege do you think exists to a larger extent in the USA? Respectful replies only, please!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 04:15 PM

122 posts, read 295,269 times
overall, male privilege. it's not just the us, it is everywhere. still a man's world, no matter what anyone says.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:39 PM

3,843 posts, read 3,174,035 times
Whatever my significant other tells me, bless her heart!

Old 04-10-2010, 10:44 PM

2,782 posts, read 3,786,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peptea View Post
overall, male privilege. it's not just the us, it is everywhere. still a man's world, no matter what anyone says.
When I'm walking around campus, and always see more females then males I have to doubt your claim..

Lets face it, you can't make wide sweeping claims about half the human race that clearly don't apply in every aspect of our lives.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:47 PM

57,122 posts, read 76,122,929 times
imho its genderless. i dont think its a red carpet for anybody anymore seems like we gota fight like dogs to get our piece, and the pieces keep getting smaller.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:53 PM

2,782 posts, read 3,786,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
imho its genderless. i dont think its a red carpet for anybody anymore seems like we gota fight like dogs to get our piece, and the pieces keep getting smaller.
It sure seems that way...

Old 04-17-2010, 02:47 PM

774 posts, read 1,728,157 times
Does anybody think women have more privilege in our society?

Old 04-18-2010, 02:30 PM

10,435 posts, read 19,806,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
Does anybody think women have more privilege in our society?
Not "overall", but I do think that 'Male Privilege" aka "The Patriarchy"(TM) is vastly overestimated for current generations (i.e. people under 40 or even under 50). Younger people have grown up in a time when women have had at least some access to any career (having gotten more and more with each decade) and the idea of a female mechanical engineer (for example) is no longer surprising, as it would have been 30 years ago to many.

There is a difference between institutional sexism and "in practice" sexism. I.e., you can make rules about having to be fair in hiring, but if someone is determined not to hire women, it's not hard to make this so. Or once they are hired, no policies can prevent people's attitudes from being sexist. Only time and familiarity with people of both genders in all jobs will change this.

That said, it does seem that in the rush to become anti-sexist, many formerly male "institutions" have become open to females while "all female" institutions have retained the right to exclude males. You still see health clubs for women only, but when is the last time you saw a 'men-only' gym? There are lots of women's colleges, but I can't personally think of all any men's colleges. This is not quite the matter of "privilege", but of fighting sexism with reverse sexism in some cases.

As for "privilege"--most of that is social, not institutional, so again it relates to changing attitudes, not laws. One MAJOR area in which there is a decided "female privilege" is work involving children. A male elementary school teacher will be under a lot more scrutiny than a female elementary school teacher, for example, because of the unfortunate higher rate of pedophilia among men...never mind that all pedophiles represent a TINY percentage of the population and most people male or female, are repulsed by such a thing--still, a man who works with children, especially an unmarried man, will be (consciously or subconsciously) far more scrutinized and second-guessed as to his motives of doing anything than a woman would--assuming men are not banned outright from holding such positions, which they often are. Even with older children, male teachers must be MUCH more careful about ever being alone in a classroom with a child of either sex than a female teacher.

Related to this is the still-common practice of giving custody in divorces to the mother rather than the father, barring strong circumstances.

So I would say that in the area of anything involving children, definitely female privilege still exists.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:10 PM

442 posts, read 854,454 times
I live in a small town and they (employers) will give jobs to men before women, even a restraunt here hires waiters. But in a sense it is okay because I would not want to be put on the front lines of a war or be made a fireman and have to carry someone down a ladder.

Can you tell I'm a female. And I am proud of it.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:44 PM

1,801 posts, read 4,161,525 times
Male privileges mostly due to plumbing. I mean, have you seen the line outside women's bathroom sometimes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or