Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 05:39 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Oh for crying out loud. Is there ANY way you can make this even more absurd and just straight-up stupid?

Firing on a United States Warship and playing poker in your basement are comparable now?
From another dispatch:

"The pirates seem to have mistaken the amphibious dock landing ship USS Ashland, of the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit, for a potential target and attacked the vessel"

Does the US expect full-scale military retaliation when we "accidentally" attack somebody? This is called an "act of war?"

When you guys are not killing and torturing people, all you can do is pout.

You want to start a nuclear holocaust over this?

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=3785,5299710
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 06:07 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
From another dispatch:

"The pirates seem to have mistaken the amphibious dock landing ship USS Ashland, of the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit, for a potential target and attacked the vessel"

Does the US expect full-scale military retaliation when we "accidentally" attack somebody? This is called an "act of war?"

When you guys are not killing and torturing people, all you can do is pout.

You want to start a nuclear holocaust over this?

The News-Journal - Google News Archive Search
So they're idiots. But hey, the more you talk the more it seems possible that somebody could mistakenly think this warship is a fishing trawler...

And WHAT, pray tell, did they consider a "potential target"? A defenseless cruise ship?

Blind bleeding heart liberals need to stop coddling low-life scum like these pirates and kill them. They are the scum of the earth.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:22 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,209 times
Looks like the sub-humans are being brought here so we can try them and then have to take care of them for an extended period. So we have to provide shelter, food, medical care, educate them, "rehabilitate" them, after which they'll probably apply for asylum!

Outrageous!!!!!

How about if they're found guilty, we make 'em walk the plank? Arrrrrrrgh!

Five pirate suspects to face charges in U.S. - CNN.com

Old 04-13-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Looks like the sub-humans are being brought here so we can try them and then have to take care of them for an extended period. So we have to provide shelter, food, medical care, educate them, "rehabilitate" them, after which they'll probably apply for asylum!
That's what we get if we appoint ourselves to be the world police. We have to arrest the sub-humans and deal with them. There are no sub-human Americans, of course, (it must be the McDonalds diet) so we have no previous experience with giving due process to sub-humans, and don't know how to do it.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:02 PM

240 posts, read 537,393 times
I've heard senility and dementia normally kick in around age 70........

Common symptoms of dementia include the following:

being disoriented to time and place, changes in mood, including depression and anxiety, delusions, or believing things that are not true hallucinations, which include hearing, seeing, feeling, and smelling things that do not exist, impaired ability to orient the body to the surrounding space language breakdown, with slurred speech and trouble finding the right words.

Memory loss that affects the person's skills. Short-term memory, or memory of recent events, is particularly affected in people with dementia. misplacing belongings personality changes, including agitation, irritability, paranoia, and hostility poor or decreased judgment, and trouble doing familiar activities

Old 04-14-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawdog View Post
I've heard senility and dementia normally kick in around age 70........

Common symptoms of dementia include the following:

being disoriented to time and place, changes in mood, including depression and anxiety, delusions, or believing things that are not true hallucinations, which include hearing, seeing, feeling, and smelling things that do not exist, impaired ability to orient the body to the surrounding space language breakdown, with slurred speech and trouble finding the right words.

Memory loss that affects the person's skills. Short-term memory, or memory of recent events, is particularly affected in people with dementia. misplacing belongings personality changes, including agitation, irritability, paranoia, and hostility poor or decreased judgment, and trouble doing familiar activities

Off-topic. Belongs in the Health and Wellness forum. Moderator, please move.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:16 PM

191 posts, read 457,704 times
Oh for heaven's sake! This is all so extremist on both sides.

Ok, for one, it is true that once we arrest them, then we do, according to the constitution, have to feed them, make sure that we take them to trial in a fair manner, etc.

However, they did fire on a US warship, that was legally in those waters. That warship was there because it was allowed to be there. It was not invading. It was not planning to create a US colony of some sort. So, the pirates were trying to procure something that was not theirs. It is silly to act like they thought they were protecting their homeland. The pirates are pirates because it is lucrative.

That being said, it would totally suck to have to live in Somalia. That place is riddled with poverty, illiteracy, and war. So, I do not believe that the pirates are evil and should be blown out of the water. I believe they are desperate. However, I also do not believe that they are some sort of freedom fighting Somali militia that is only doing what they can against US aggression. That is a joke. They do not have my pity because they are human beings. To pity them is to say that they are less than me, and not capable of making better decisions. They are capable of more, as thinking humans. But, I do still say that it would suck to live in Somalia, and I would feel pretty desperate too. This little pirate problem is just a tiny symptom of the larger problems that nation is facing.

Also, people are rarely ever only one thing.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:31 PM

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on a couple of things, which I lack the energy to look up.

1. There are very few countries that have their warships cruising around the world in international waters, fully loaded for bear and their fingers on the trigger. The USA is one of them. This incident took place some 300 miles out to sea, but how would the US Navy or Coast Guard react if there were fully weaponized warships cruising back and forth in the waters between California and Hawaii?

2. Does the US Coast Guard ever challenge, threaten or harass vessels in international waters off the US coastline, if their motives are suspect?

3. Why do you say our ship was not planning on creating a colony of some sort, when just hull down from this incident, we had recently created "colonies of some sort" in Iraq and Afghanistan? And in living memory, we had sent a full contingent of armed combat-ready troops into (may I have the envelope, please) . . . Somalia. And we have a significant contingent of combat-ready troops on the ground literally within yards of the Somali border, in Djibouti.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-14-2010 at 09:39 PM..

Old 04-15-2010, 05:50 AM

191 posts, read 457,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on a couple of things, which I lack the energy to look up.

1. There are very few countries that have their warships cruising around the world in international waters, fully loaded for bear and their fingers on the trigger. The USA is one of them. This incident took place some 300 miles out to sea, but how would the US Navy or Coast Guard react if there were fully weaponized warships cruising back and forth in the waters between California and Hawaii?

2. Does the US Coast Guard ever challenge, threaten or harass vessels in international waters off the US coastline, if their motives are suspect?

3. Why do you say our ship was not planning on creating a colony of some sort, when just hull down from this incident, we had recently created "colonies of some sort" in Iraq and Afghanistan? And in living memory, we had sent a full contingent of armed combat-ready troops into (may I have the envelope, please) . . . Somalia. And we have a significant contingent of combat-ready troops on the ground literally within yards of the Somali border, in Djibouti.
I agree that we have created lil colonies of sorts in other countries (although, I would be willing to debate with you about Afghanistan, but not on this thread). However, it is really rather absurd to say we are about to go to war with Somalia. We do actually announce these things. Sometimes we like to use prettier words than "war", but we do still say that we plan to send our army into combat.

Also, your point #1 is a bit odd since it was not the Somali Coast Guard or Navy that attacked the ship. It was a group of pirates, who if captured by the Somali government would most likely be subjected to their legal system, which does not guarantee an expeditious trial. Further, Somalia has actually asked other nations for help with their pirate problem. So, you can go ahead and say whatever you want about the pirates, but I do think that it makes absolutely no sense to compare pirates to an army. They are not the same thing.

Oh, and it will not take you much effort to see that many, and I mean many, nations have war ships sailing about in international waters. You could literally google this one.

Finally, the only US navy ship that is actually docked in Somalia is a large floating hospital. Currently, that ship is not only treating US citizens, but is also performing humanitarian work. It is the same ship that was sent to Haiti right after the earthquake. Were we also planning to attack and colonize Haiti?

Old 04-15-2010, 06:52 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Jtur88 - The US Constitution does NOT apply to International Maritime law. IIRC under that law assaulting any ship in international waters, unless there is a declared and recognized war between the attacker and the victim, is considered an act of piracy and to be handled differently from land based civilian law. Pirates, no matter how desperate or foolish, may have lethal force used against them from either civilian or military vessels. If captured they are to be executed as soon as practical.

The Warships and Merchantmen of the world have 6,000 + years of experience with piracy on the open ocean and have developed ways, sometimes very brutal ways, of dealing with the situation. I suggest letting them go about their business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates