Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 12:35 PM

2,015 posts, read 3,380,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I resemble that remark! I am 60. I don't think I'm rude...well, some days. But man these younguns! Whoohoo! Slam doors in my face - I walk slow, so will you some day. Push me outa the way - hey, I can't hear you behind my head, I'm hard of hearing!

Slow down! or you'll get there before I do! The end isn't so great - after all, it's The End.
I'm right behind you at 58! I guess we stop beating around the bush. No point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 12:36 PM

2,015 posts, read 3,380,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Simple. We have spent a lifetime listening to crap and we're tired of it. When we hear crap we tell it like it is.

You see it as being rude. We see it as letting you know we won't put with your childish behavior.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:51 PM

177 posts, read 304,478 times
Maybe it is because when they were children they learned the simple but true rule "respect your elders." Now that they are the "elders", this new generation hasn't been taught this and it is annoying. I am only 43. I have always respected those older than me and teach my children to do the same. Often when one of my children does something simple like say "Yes Mam" or holds a door for an older person the stranger will immediatley approach me to compliment them. Hey I think it is no big deal. It is how things are supposed to be. Where did the simple politeness and manners in our society go???

Old 04-12-2010, 12:55 PM

22,839 posts, read 6,435,820 times
My grandmother used to say that being old is no excuse for being rude.
Personally I think the old folks just have a lot of aches and pains.
Food doesn't taste as good and they have a lot of bathroom issues.
They don't see or hear as well as they used to.
They know their ride is coming to and end and they're angry about it.

Now me, I'm a young 63, so I can't relate to any of the above assumptions...

Old 04-12-2010, 12:56 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,677,220 times
after 80 years of being nice, they realized being nice got them nowhere.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:18 PM

151 posts, read 326,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jskin View Post
Maybe it is because when they were children they learned the simple but true rule "respect your elders." Now that they are the "elders", this new generation hasn't been taught this and it is annoying. I am only 43. I have always respected those older than me and teach my children to do the same. Often when one of my children does something simple like say "Yes Mam" or holds a door for an older person the stranger will immediatley approach me to compliment them. Hey I think it is no big deal. It is how things are supposed to be. Where did the simple politeness and manners in our society go???
I raised my boys to be considerate of others - regardless of age or anything else. I was constantly complemented on their "manners" - problem is, they were really only doing the bare essentials of being polite. You know opening doors, taking the cart back to the grocery store, answering people when they are spoken to...stuff like that!
We have come so far from treating others the way we would like to be treated, and we are now seeing it in EVERY age group. We have neglected to teach respect, and the underlying WHY we should respect others.
Maybe it's not too late, but one day it could be.
It's not just the old, or the young.
It starts with ME - today.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:19 PM

177 posts, read 304,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripphome View Post
I raised my boys to be considerate of others - regardless of age or anything else. I was constantly complemented on their "manners" - problem is, they were really only doing the bare essentials of being polite. You know opening doors, taking the cart back to the grocery store, answering people when they are spoken to...stuff like that!
We have come so far from treating others the way we would like to be treated, and we are now seeing it in EVERY age group. We have neglected to teach respect, and the underlying WHY we should respect others.
You are absolutely right. I was just thinking of it in terms of the exact question that was asked. Everyone should be respected. And it does start with me.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:52 PM

442 posts, read 965,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripphome View Post
Right on!!!! Me too...today

Old 04-12-2010, 03:15 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,902,793 times
Default Agreed

Jtur88 said:
"There is an interesting social phenomenon taking place. No society can survive a breakdown in inter-generational continuity, but we are changing so rapidly, that is exactly what is taking place. At one end, there is the generation that could never learn to make their VCR stop flashing 12:00, and at the other end, a generation that doesn't even know what a VCR is. The two generations don't even have a common language, so could not communicate if they wanted to, and they don't want to. The old see the young as contemptible, and the young don't see the old at all unless they are slowing down traffic."

Having often clashed with Jtur88, I must say that I find his analysis about lack of communication and commonality between generations very perceptive and very accurate. Well said.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:05 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,858,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Simple. We have spent a lifetime listening to crap and we're tired of it. When we hear crap we tell it like it is.

You see it as being rude. We see it as letting you know we won't put with your childish behavior.
So you'd rather be rude, which is exactly what you're doing with your intolerable ignorance. You're old, and us youngins get that, but why should we bear the weight of your hatred of the world? If you hate the way the world is going so much, leave it.

Childish behavior is hardly expecting people to say "excuse me" or have the common gal-darned courtesy to be polite and not act like a complete jerk, just because you're old and someone dropped a deuce in your metamucil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates