Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 06:10 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,257 times

Advertisements

Because I find it insufferable!

A lot of what I deal with the yuppie lifestyle mostly involves a lot of people, particularly peers, being just insufferably cliquish, stuck-up, and close-minded. It's very cookie-cutter with always revolving around Starbucks, Ivy-League Universities, and nightclubs. The socialization is basically done through texting, twittering, and facebooking "friends" they know from "somewhere else." It seems illegal for men to be Men with a fear of begin accused as being overmasculine. But for some reason, I notice that there isn't any true alternative to it. The hipster and artist subcultures have so many yuppie elements, usually the negative ones. And as for the other alternatives, there's usually the "urban & glam-rap culture" but I've had more than enough of that forced-fed to me during my teen years. There's a lot of "Foreign Cultures" around, but we all know how open they are to outsiders (yay for diversity and multiculturalism, ). Also, I notice that there are those in their twenties who immediately get married and have a family (granted that's more of the case in the South and Midwest), but I'm not at that part in my life.

So is this what it's all about, the "Real World?" Seems like Gen Y wants to prolong high school as much as possible.

Or maybe I REALLY need to get the f*** out of the Northeast and especially the DC area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 06:17 PM

18,355 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Heh, I don't live the yuppy lifestyle and I'm fine. There's young people out there with no interest in that lifestyle, you'll just need to find them...

And being a Vermonter...since when was DC the Northeast?

Old 04-17-2010, 06:28 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
I cannot stand cliquish folks in general ... Too fake and phony.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:58 PM

404 posts, read 1,094,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Heh, I don't live the yuppy lifestyle and I'm fine. There's young people out there with no interest in that lifestyle, you'll just need to find them...

And being a Vermonter...since when was DC the Northeast?
It began in the 80s I think..

Old 04-17-2010, 10:05 PM

404 posts, read 1,094,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
Because I find it insufferable!

A lot of what I deal with the yuppie lifestyle mostly involves a lot of people, particularly peers, being just insufferably cliquish, stuck-up, and close-minded. It's very cookie-cutter with always revolving around Starbucks, Ivy-League Universities, and nightclubs. The socialization is basically done through texting, twittering, and facebooking "friends" they know from "somewhere else." It seems illegal for men to be Men with a fear of begin accused as being overmasculine. But for some reason, I notice that there isn't any true alternative to it. The hipster and artist subcultures have so many yuppie elements, usually the negative ones. And as for the other alternatives, there's usually the "urban & glam-rap culture" but I've had more than enough of that forced-fed to me during my teen years. There's a lot of "Foreign Cultures" around, but we all know how open they are to outsiders (yay for diversity and multiculturalism, ). Also, I notice that there are those in their twenties who immediately get married and have a family (granted that's more of the case in the South and Midwest), but I'm not at that part in my life.

So is this what it's all about, the "Real World?" Seems like Gen Y wants to prolong high school as much as possible.

Or maybe I REALLY need to get the f*** out of the Northeast and especially the DC area.
I'm disillusioned about 20's something life in the DC area as well, but I think it's the price one pays to develop a decent career. I moved here after college (did not attend an Ivy school) and have settled into a fairly boring lifestyle where my job is my main priority. Because of the cost of living in DC, unless you work your ass off, you live in squalor (unless you were around in the 80s or 90s, and bought that rancher in Vienna which is now listed at 1.2 million for a more reasonable 180k). I make a decent salary, and live almost as if I were still in college thanks to my rent and other expenses.

Also.. many people in our age group seem to settle early around here simply because it can require two 6 digit incomes to afford a house in a decent area. Two people who are dating, but otherwise incompatible in the long term, will just suck it up, get married and have kids (because that's what you do when you're married.. i saw that on tv once).

Another problem with the DC area, is that no one is from here. Whether you're from Somalia or Westchester, you did not grow up in DC, nor do you care about it outside of your precious child's school pyramid. NoVa's idea of culture is a strip mall with a starbucks at each end. In REAL towns, there's history and character. here, they have to put faux aged facades on the cheese cake factory's entrance to give the appearance that it's been open for more than 10 years so people don't feel like they just moved to Dubai.

Everything in this area is sterile and bland. Unfortunately for me (and perhaps you), I intend to stay here until I can develop a career that can hopefully take me elsewhere. Good luck to you, I know most regular people around here need it.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:06 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,194,814 times
No.

I'm not into that culture.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:51 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,060,716 times
[quote=The_Fairfaxian;13785687]Because I find it insufferable!

A lot of what I deal with the yuppie lifestyle mostly involves a lot of people, particularly peers, being just insufferably cliquish, stuck-up, and close-minded. It's very cookie-cutter with always revolving around Starbucks, Ivy-League Universities, and nightclubs. The socialization is basically done through texting, twittering, and facebooking "friends" they know from "somewhere else." [quote]

I hear you. That lifestyle isn't for everyone, but it's easy to live with it without living it.

Quote:
It seems illegal for men to be Men with a fear of begin accused as being overmasculine. But for some reason, I notice that there isn't any true alternative to it.
The alternative is to be yourself. Don't waste your life or intelligence playing at a gender role assigned to you by pop culture, past culture, or what anybody else thinks. I see equal numbers of gender-benders as I see morons thinking that acting like a caveman somehow equates to masculinity. Most of this behaviour is, at its core, simply a play to attract females. The thing is, what really attracts women is confidence, and play-acting at being a metrosexual or redneck just puts your insecurities on display.

Quote:
The hipster and artist subcultures have so many yuppie elements, usually the negative ones.
So skip the negative parts and go for the free food. Or art. Or whatever part you're into. Don't get sucked in to playing a role that's not you. Conformity to the "art culture" is the same as conformity to any "office culture."

Quote:
And as for the other alternatives, there's usually the "urban & glam-rap culture" but I've had more than enough of that forced-fed to me during my teen years.
If you like the music, enjoy it. If you are just trying to imitate the so-called lifestyle, good luck with that.

Quote:
There's a lot of "Foreign Cultures" around, but we all know how open they are to outsiders (yay for diversity and multiculturalism, ).
Uh, foreign cultures are usually mostly new or traditionally-minded immigrants trying to get their bearings in what they might perceive as an off-kilter culture of obscene consumerism, waste, and disregard for elders, tradition, or environment. They're not here to be your own personal Disney "It's a Small World After All" ride. They're here to talk and do business with people who share a common language in a scary, crime-ridden, foreign land. If you make an effort to learn their language, patronize their businesses, and be friendly, you're probably going to get welcoming smiles in return. If you just show up and expect fluent English and hugs all around, you're going to be disappointed.

Adopting or even understanding another culture takes years of intimate contact and scads of patience. If you're the kind of impatient or judgmental person which just simple yuppies **** you off, then you might as well give up on the idea of understanding multiculturalism and keep to your own kind.

I've been in plenty of places where just finding someone who was close to the same height and spoke a language in which I was fluent was enough for us to become friends. I'm sure we looked like cliquish jerks to the locals, but if you're ever in their shoes outside your homeland, you'll understand why they do what they do.

Quote:
Also, I notice that there are those in their twenties who immediately get married and have a family (granted that's more of the case in the South and Midwest), but I'm not at that part in my life.
Good to recognize that. Better to make it clear to any romantic partners you might have.

Quote:

Everybody grows up at their own pace. The trick is not to let the immaturity of others bother you so much that you forget to work on your own problems and expand your own horizons.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:23 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,476,898 times
I have never seen this yuppie phenomena myself since I am still in college, but I may in a few years.

Even now, I see a few wannabes who just party and form groups. I avoid them like the plague.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:47 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Get involved in protest organizations and progressive causes, and you'll find that there is a vibrant socialization going on that is quite out of sight of the Yuppies.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:40 PM

18,355 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Get involved in protest organizations and progressive causes, and you'll find that there is a vibrant socialization going on that is quite out of sight of the Yuppies.
Most of the yuppies here are progressives though...

The non-yuppies tend to be libertarians or somewhat conservative...people who tend to have more self-reliant attitudes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates