Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 04:51 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,032,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deef1 View Post
There is a resolution out there to the "water bottle" controversy.

DejaBlue does actually CAN their water. I have received a can of water on the plane before, just like a soda! Why aren't they selling water packaged this way? I know they even have begun offering some brands of beer in a can in the shape of a bottle now with a cap that is a screw on/off type so you could recap your water after opening it. So, WHY AREN'T THEY PACKAGING WATER THIS WAY???

On another note however, they are now able to RECYCLE water bottles into CARPET. YES carpet!!! Not crap either...nice stuff! And because of its properties it's GREAT on the wear and tear factor and it doesn't stain!

SOOO...just thought I would throw it our there...Open for discussion.
I can help a lot of people out on this one. Almost no one needs to buy bottled water. At least not for drinking. Buying and carrying bottled water is a trendy thing. I constantly see college students carrying a bottle of Aquafina or some other brand. I see it hanging from their backpacks. These same students walk right by drinking fountains all day long. Why bother buying, or even carrying bottled water?

I watch ESPN's Mike and Mike In The Morning on occasion before work. One of the Mikes has a bottle of water at his elbow and he's constantly taking sips throughout the program. It looks like an oral addiction to me. Every other commercial break he must be running to the restroom.

I've seen bottled water in vending machines that are stationed ten feet from a drinking fountain. C'mon!

Plastic bottles that once held plain, ol' H2O are littering the countryside and cluttering up landfills. There's nothing wrong with a person wanting to drink water, but use a small, insulated canteen, and refill it from the tap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 05:00 PM

112 posts, read 140,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
I can help a lot of people out on this one. Almost no one needs to buy bottled water. At least not for drinking. Buying and carrying bottled water is a trendy thing. I constantly see college students carrying a bottle of Aquafina or some other brand. I see it hanging from their backpacks. These same students walk right by drinking fountains all day long. Why bother buying, or even carrying bottled water?

I watch ESPN's Mike and Mike In The Morning on occasion before work. One of the Mikes has a bottle of water at his elbow and he's constantly taking sips throughout the program. It looks like an oral addiction to me. Every other commercial break he must be running to the restroom.

I've seen bottled water in vending machines that are stationed ten feet from a drinking fountain. C'mon!

Plastic bottles that once held plain, ol' H2O are littering the countryside and cluttering up landfills. There's nothing wrong with a person wanting to drink water, but use a small, insulated canteen, and refill it from the tap.
Come on get real no one cares about any of that lol they just want some water that they can carry around with them anywhere they go! and what if you run out of water from a canteen? and nowhere to fill it up but their is somewhere where you can buy bottled water?

Old 04-18-2010, 05:01 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,319,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyboyy View Post
Come on get real no one cares about any of that lol they just want some water that they can carry around with them anywhere they go! and what if you run out of water from a canteen? and nowhere to fill it up but their is somewhere where you can buy bottled water?

Thank you Daveyboyy! Got a Gorilla or RedWing Flyer I can borrow? lol

Old 04-18-2010, 05:06 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Uffffffff... this discussion is going nowhere.
Please, forget about the need of bottled water, filtered water, distilled water, forget about people who need to drink such for whatever reason. Forget the home filters, tap water and public fountains too.
Lets discuss packing water in cans versus bottles. That's it.
So, why water is not canned the same way soda is ? Why we cannot go to the grocery store and get a 12 cans of water ? We can buy beer in cans... so why not water???

Old 04-18-2010, 05:09 PM

112 posts, read 140,774 times
Because once you opened a Can you CANT seal it again? once you open it you have to drink it all and people want a bottle they can sip a bit then put it away save it for later... most cans are pretty small and you drink it pretty quickly. water bottles are bigger because you can screw the top and drink more later.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:09 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Uffffffff... this discussion is going nowhere.
Please, forget about the need of bottled water, filtered water, distilled water, forget about people who need to drink such for whatever reason. Forget the home filters, tap water and public fountains too.
Lets discuss packing water in cans versus bottles. That's it.
So, why water is not canned the same way soda is ? Why we cannot go to the grocery store and get a 12 cans of water ? We can buy beer in cans... so why not water???
My guess is that it's very simple.

Sales - or the lack thereof.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyboyy View Post
Because once you opened a Can you CANT seal it again? once you open it you have to drink it all and people want a bottle they can sip a bit then put it away save it for later... most cans are pretty small and you drink it pretty quickly. water bottles are bigger because you can screw the top and drink more later.

Actually, they have a can now for beer that is in the shape of a bottle and you can recap it! I want to say it is Budweiser (?) Someone help on that...I really think that is the brand that they are advertising packaged that way. I think it is AWESOME! BudweiserAluminumBottle.jpg (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/ca/BudweiserAluminumBottle.jpg - broken link)‎ AH, yes...it is Budweiser. They have even improved the cap from the link attached here. There is a cap that screws on and off so you can reseal and drink at your own pace. SOOO...all I'm saying is, lets put the water in it too!!!

Thanks all.

Last edited by Deef1; 04-18-2010 at 06:27 PM..

Old 04-18-2010, 06:17 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Can with a cap is awesome, but if soda bottles can coexist with the soda in cans, why water can't?
There are people who will buy a bottle and people who will buy a can. Why not to make both happy?
The cans are so small, that you can drink it all, and even if you let it stand for a while, a water does not get flat like a carbonated soda, right?

Old 04-18-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Can with a cap is awesome, but if soda bottles can coexist with the soda in cans, why water can't?
There are people who will buy a bottle and people who will buy a can. Why not to make both happy?
The cans are so small, that you can drink it all, and even if you let it stand for a while, a water does not get flat like a carbonated soda, right?
Awesome! Do it all! I'm right there with you...

Can't we all just get along!

Old 04-18-2010, 07:20 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,032,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deef1 View Post
Awesome! Do it all! I'm right there with you...

Can't we all just get along!
Just to clear up a few things... there may be a small percentage of the population who, for health reasons, need some specialize form of water. In that case they may need to buy a particular bottle of water, or carry purified water. But the vast majority of the population has absolutely no need to buy bottled water. Bottled water costs money and the empty containers often become litter and are a blight. They all end up cluttering landfills.

Depending on the conditions, a person can go hours without drinking water. If a person is planning to hike in Death Valley in July, he or she can fill up several canteens with tap water before the hike. No need to buy bottled water.

The difference between purchasing bottled water and purchasing a soda is that water comes out of taps and is free. If a person really feels it necessary to carry water, an L.L. Bean canteen can be filled for nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates