Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 09:27 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times

Advertisements

I think what must be kept in mind is that none of us are able to bear witness. Most of the comments made by Iranian leaders are in Farsi. Who in this debate speaks Farsi to confirm the interpretation given to us by the mainstream media? Dare I say….NONE? When I hear a news story about something someone said or did in a place thousands of miles away, that I can never confirm, I never take it at face value. Instead, I focus on what is more verifiable to me, which is the motives and bias of the people providing me with the information. Certainly our countries well documented displeasure, in English, with the Iranian government and its leaders, the interest in Petroleum and nationalized resources, Iran having sovereignty over the strait of hermuz, where 40% of the worlds oil flows, may give us ulterior motives.

However, to answer the question of the OP, what it will mean is that Iran manifested its human rights, if not its sovereign rights, to scientific advancement. The reaction to that, by the West and speculators, is that Oil prices will go through the roof initially. It will be very destabilizing to world economies based upon the irrational fears and propaganda about Iranian evil and the Pandora’s box and the arms race that will ensue in the region as the Saudis and other seek weapons of mass destruction…etc…etc. However, the global economic disruption and depression that would result from an attack on Iran is far more dangerous than Iran successfully performing an underground nuclear test.

Equalizing power or balancing power, through the gaining of nuclear weapons capability will alter the secular trend in regards to the balance of wealth in the world. Powerful nations generally bully poor and weak nations out of their resources, decreasing their wealth and increasing the wealth of powerful nations. “Confessions of an economic hit man” should be on everyone reading list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 01:15 PM

78,415 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I think what must be kept in mind is that none of us are able to bear witness. Most of the comments made by Iranian leaders are in Farsi. Who in this debate speaks Farsi to confirm the interpretation given to us by the mainstream media?
So your claim is that western media intentionally translates quotes incorrectly. Do you have any idea how retarded of a conspiracy that is?

If they actually did this, there would be a huge outcry from millions that speak farsi including many well respected individuals but we aren't hearing that. Seriously, I'm getting tired of humoring such asinine apologist crap.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:37 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
I think what must be kept in mind is that none of us are able to bear witness. Most of the comments made by Iranian leaders are in Farsi. Who in this debate speaks Farsi to confirm the interpretation given to us by the mainstream media? Dare I say….NONE?
The classic example of this (from which, as usual, nobody seems to have learned any lessons) came when Khrushchev came to the UN and said "We will bury you". It was quoted as a threat, but in fact was an old Russian expression that means "I will outlive you and be present at your funeral".

Actually, it was an interesting day in history. The Americans were rather taken by Nikita, and quite liked him in spite of ourselves. I remember the photos, with the lovely Mrs. Khrushchev, radiantly matronly in her old world style, standing next to an overdressed Mamie in a barbie-doll gown. http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/p...eisenhower.jpg

Last edited by jtur88; 04-23-2010 at 01:53 PM..

Old 04-23-2010, 01:53 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The classic example of this (from which, as usual, nobody seems to have learned any lessons) came when Khrushchev came to the UN and said "We will bury you". It was quoted as a threat, but in fact was an old Russian expression that means "I will outlive you and be present at your funeral".
Precisely! Often much is lost in the translation when one does not take into account cultural consideration of figure of speech, context etc. Can you imagine someone from another country who does not understand English and our figures of speech and how they would interpret "Kiss my azz". They would take out their Engish translation handbook and may interpret it as a literal sexual invitiation....lol. That is the nature of language. One has to allow for "figure of speech" and one has to understand the culture of where the speech originates.

When Coleman Young became mayor of Detroit back in the early seventies....crime was out of control. When he took office he gave a press conference and told all criminals to "Hit 8-mile", because he was going to crack down on criminals. The city of Detroit is divided from its nothern suburbs by 8 mile road. You would not believe the contreversy this "figure of speech" created....and it was purpously misrepresented to flame tensions. People in the suburbs interpret that to mean that the new mayor was telling the criminals to go commit crimes in the suburbs, when he was actually telling criminals that they had better leave town....because a new sherrif was in town.....lol.

That having been said.....if nations have agenda....and they do....they can choose to use "figures of speech" literally to advance those agendas. Is such thinking a conspiracy theory......you can call it what you want. I see it as MOTIVE, MEANS and OPPORTUNITY all coming together.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 04-23-2010 at 02:02 PM..

Old 04-23-2010, 03:18 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
Quote:
I think what must be kept in mind is that none of us are able to bear witness. Most of the comments made by Iranian leaders are in Farsi. Who in this debate speaks Farsi to confirm the interpretation given to us by the mainstream media? Dare I say….NONE? When I hear a news story about something someone said or did in a place thousands of miles away, that I can never confirm, I never take it at face value. Instead, I focus on what is more verifiable to me, which is the motives and bias of the people providing me with the information. Certainly our countries well documented displeasure, in English, with the Iranian government and its leaders, the interest in Petroleum and nationalized resources, Iran having sovereignty over the strait of hermuz, where 40% of the worlds oil flows, may give us ulterior motives.

However, to answer the question of the OP, what it will mean is that Iran manifested its human rights, if not its sovereign rights, to scientific advancement. The reaction to that, by the West and speculators, is that Oil prices will go through the roof initially. It will be very destabilizing to world economies based upon the irrational fears and propaganda about Iranian evil and the Pandora’s box and the arms race that will ensue in the region as the Saudis and other seek weapons of mass destruction…etc…etc. However, the global economic disruption and depression that would result from an attack on Iran is far more dangerous than Iran successfully performing an underground nuclear test.

Equalizing power or balancing power, through the gaining of nuclear weapons capability will alter the secular trend in regards to the balance of wealth in the world. Powerful nations generally bully poor and weak nations out of their resources, decreasing their wealth and increasing the wealth of powerful nations. “Confessions of an economic hit man” should be on everyone reading list.
who buys Irans crude oil I think china buys it so they have a vested interest they buy the second largest amount from the middle east and if iran shuts down the strait of hermuz you will have russia, china navy showing up and I think we a massive naval fleet in the area already and isreal is behind us and don't want them to have nuclear weapons

Old 04-23-2010, 08:13 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,460,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Why do you think Mr Bhutto wanted an atomic bomb? Well his big neighbor and enemy had tore his nation apart in 1971. In 1974 this neighbor tested an atomic bomb (it was only a peaceful explosion intended to learn how to dig big holes in the ground). Yes, All praise be unto him but just in case we better get a bomb.
India did not threaten Pakistan with physical annihilation, as Iran does to Israel. Even today with its nuclear arsenal Pakistan is considerably weaker then India in every aspect (conventional military, WMD, economic strength). They will lose in any confrontation.
Now, with its political instability, this Pakistani arsenal may fall into the wrong hands. Actually, those who planned the Mumbai attacks pray for a nuclear confrontation. They know that with 170 casualties, India will not be defeated, but with a nuclear exchange, things may look good for Allah's servants.

Quote:

The danger is with not Iran performing a nuclear test, but that these weapons and technology will be transmitted to others, the same as it got into Iranian hands in the first place. What will Iran do in the case US or Israel destroy this capability? Stop the oil flow? What will they eat then? Flow of oil is also in their interest.
Quote:
Give us a break with these "global equalization" theories. Please. We saw what poor countries (some of which are very rich in natural resources, like Nigeria) do with their wealth and independence. 50-60 years after most world countries became independent and free of colonialism, its time to call for responsibility.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:00 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,747 times
[quote=oberon_1;13876644]India did not threaten Pakistan with physical annihilation, as Iran does to Israel. Even today with its nuclear arsenal Pakistan is considerably weaker then India in every aspect (conventional military, WMD, economic strength). They will lose in any confrontation.
Now, with its political instability, this Pakistani arsenal may fall into the wrong hands. Actually, those who planned the Mumbai attacks pray for a nuclear confrontation. They know that with 170 casualties, India will not be defeated, but with a nuclear exchange, things may look good for Allah's servants.

The problem underpinning the India/Pakistan Crisis is not so much fear of annihilation but of assimilation. The partition of British India into majority Hindu (India) and Muslim (Pakistan and Bangladesh which was once part of Pakistan) states was the brainchild of British officials who thought they were doing the people of the former Raj a favor. However, the partition was messy and resulted in the forced relocation of over 150,000,000 people both Hindu, Sikh and Muslim and the deaths of over a million in the violence that took place as this was happening. There are Hindus who remember their homes in the Indus River Valley or Punjab that are unavailable to them. Muslims who lived in Delhi, Kerela or Mumbai. This is the same kind of mess that was repeated in Palestine . There are Indians who feel their country is incomplete without all of the Punjab or the Vale of Kashmir. Pakistanis who can't stroll on the grounds of one of the world's greatest examples of Islamic architecture the Taj Mahal built by a Muslim ruler of most of Northern India. We Americans think people should get over this nonsense and seem blind to this kind of thinking.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:34 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,460,466 times
[quote=mwruckman;13877972]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
India did not threaten Pakistan with physical annihilation, as Iran does to Israel. Even today with its nuclear arsenal Pakistan is considerably weaker then India in every aspect (conventional military, WMD, economic strength). They will lose in any confrontation.

The problem underpinning the India/Pakistan Crisis is not so much fear of annihilation but of assimilation. The partition of British India into majority Hindu (India) and Muslim (Pakistan and Bangladesh which was once part of Pakistan) states was the brainchild of British officials who thought they were doing the people of the former Raj a favor. However, the partition was messy and resulted in the forced relocation of over 150,000,000 people both Hindu, Sikh and Muslim and the deaths of over a million in the violence that took place as this was happening. There are Hindus who remember their homes in the Indus River Valley or Punjab that are unavailable to them. Muslims who lived in Delhi, Kerela or Mumbai. This is the same kind of mess that was repeated in Palestine . There are Indians who feel their country is incomplete without all of the Punjab or the Vale of Kashmir. Pakistanis who can't stroll on the grounds of one of the world's greatest examples of Islamic architecture the Taj Mahal built by a Muslim ruler of most of Northern India. We Americans think people should get over this nonsense and seem blind to this kind of thinking.
Agree with everything. Most conflicts today are legacy of the British rule, including Israeli-Palestinian, Pakistan-India, Africa, etc.
However, there are already two generations born in independent, free countries. Today young Indians who work in high tech do not know the British rule. The same with young Algerians who do not know the French rule. Yet neither country is at peace with itself. Its time to look forward and build a foundation for future generations. With all its beauty, the Taj Mahal cannot be more precious then their children.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:44 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
Quote:

When Diane Sawyer interviews the President of Iran, he speaks English ( not Farsi)

---" powerfull nations generally bully poor nations out of their resources"-

Since many posters are talking about--oil--, that certainly isn't the case.

Ever hear of OPEC?

Old 04-24-2010, 01:05 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
When Diane Sawyer interviews the President of Iran, he speaks English ( not Farsi)

-
I just looked at two different interviews on YouTube, of Diane Sawyer talking to Ahmedinejad, and he spoke Farsi in both of them. He CAN speak English quite well, but he doesn't, for the obvious reason that he is not always sure that the English words he uses would be interpreted to have exactly the meaning he thinks they have and intends for them to have. Nearly all world leaders can speak English, even Castro, but they ordinarily do not do so publicly, for that same reason. Not all, of course, some of them speak English so perfectly, they don't need to be concerned about that. I saw the president of Greece the other day, and couldn't even tell that he was not an American. King Hussein of Jordan could have moonlighted as an English professor, and the present King Abdullah could, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates