Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 10:43 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by semperarmati View Post
Put your intellectual diaper back on, cause you're leaking BS again.
I can go for a day or so without sleep--as long as I'm exerting myself physically. If all I do is sit around thinking, I'll fall right off. Thinking doesn't provide enough exertion, enough work, to keep me going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Exactaincorrecto. They will start seeking employement as soon as the pantry runs low.

I think everyone complains about how much they pay in taxes, and the rich, who pay so much more than the average (in absolute and relative terms) have far more rights to do so than the average Joe or Josephine does.
No, they won't. Because they're lazy and have a sense of entitlement.

They want to be paid a lot of money for doing very little--do you know anyone who will work for $5 an hour?

Old 04-26-2010, 12:36 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Now Days whe the federa governaqmnt passes a entitlement with teh budget rules the almost always pass mandets in the same bill. Bond rating are not just determined by present cost but future liabilties.The healcarere bill jus passed is a example. Toi keep cost down to the federal govenramnt it raises the income level for medicaid and dumps alot of peope into it. Medicad is a shared cost between staes and federal governments.After 2020 the bill dumps a huge amount of cost o the states. That measn increrasing taxes and likely lower bond ratings for many sates because the ratings are based not just on presnt by futre fixed cost by states and even loacl government. Some sates are already i trouble and this will meAan alot of cuts and raisng of state taxes and fees. Otherwise the interest rate on bonds will skyrocket on need project like mentioned. California has felt the efects of this and is really feeling it in the present crisis.The closer to the edge you are the faster you fall in such circumstances.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:55 PM

314 posts, read 189,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I can go for a day or so without sleep--as long as I'm exerting myself physically. If all I do is sit around thinking, I'll fall right off. Thinking doesn't provide enough exertion, enough work, to keep me going.
This is idiocy. People saying intellectual work isn't work. So an author who writes a book isn't working. Of course he is. His brain is working, as well as his hands. When I sit in the hot tub at home and envision my next marketing campaign, including merchandise, targeted customer base, type of compaign/discount if applicable, I am working. When a Radiologist MD looks at an Xray or MRI or other imaging results, looking for signs of disease, he is working.

It is idiotic to thing otherwise.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:01 PM

314 posts, read 189,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
No, they won't. Because they're lazy and have a sense of entitlement.

They want to be paid a lot of money for doing very little--do you know anyone who will work for $5 an hour?
I think most will work to stay alive, sense of entitlement notwithstanding. However, some would rather die than work, and I say let 'em die.

Do I personally know anyone who will work for $5.00per hour? Not personally, no. Most of the people I know work in the $40.00 per hour range, minimum, with me in my day job at just short of $50.00/hour. My biz brings in a whole lot more, though, and when you are in business, counting your hours is something you don't usually do.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
This is idiocy. People saying intellectual work isn't work. So an author who writes a book isn't working. Of course he is. His brain is working, as well as his hands. When I sit in the hot tub at home and envision my next marketing campaign, including merchandise, targeted customer base, type of compaign/discount if applicable, I am working. When a Radiologist MD looks at an Xray or MRI or other imaging results, looking for signs of disease, he is working.

It is idiotic to thing otherwise.
Not really. Work is ...work. Thinking--isn't. Unless it actually pains you to have to think. Thinking is a leisure activity, because it comes easily to me. Work is when I actually have to exert myself...and is NOT fun. If it was fun or easy, it wouldn't be "work".

Old 04-26-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
I think most will work to stay alive, sense of entitlement notwithstanding. However, some would rather die than work, and I say let 'em die.

Do I personally know anyone who will work for $5.00per hour? Not personally, no. Most of the people I know work in the $40.00 per hour range, minimum, with me in my day job at just short of $50.00/hour. My biz brings in a whole lot more, though, and when you are in business, counting your hours is something you don't usually do.
So you don't know anyone who would work for $5 an hour--even if that was the only job available to them? They'd rather sit around the house hoping someone will pay them what they THINK they're worth (they're not, by the way).

Old 04-26-2010, 04:47 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,454,380 times
There are plenty of lazy people everywhere. I work with lazy people and I go to school with lazy people. People are actually happy with passing with barely a C. When I took Anatomy and Physiology a few semester ago there were a few people that said as long as they got a 69.5 they were happy with that. Your going to be a nurse someday and your happy with passing with barely a C? WTH. In nursing school you have to work hard and its a ton of work. You cant sit back and do the bare minimum that doesn't cut it. At my job (Im a waitress) and other waiters cant even do simple things they just stand around chatting or take smoke breaks when they can. Also people come to work late or call in when they dont feel like coming to work like its not a big deal. Its irritating. I think these days people dont have to work as hard as our ancestors did. Technology has made life a lot easier.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:53 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,319,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesasabia View Post
There are plenty of lazy people everywhere. I work with lazy people and I go to school with lazy people. People are actually happy with passing with barely a C. When I took Anatomy and Physiology a few semester ago there were a few people that said as long as they got a 69.5 they were happy with that. Your going to be a nurse someday and your happy with passing with barely a C? WTH. In nursing school you have to work hard and its a ton of work. You cant sit back and do the bare minimum that doesn't cut it. At my job (Im a waitress) and other waiters cant even do simple things they just stand around chatting or take smoke breaks when they can. Also people come to work late or call in when they dont feel like coming to work like its not a big deal. Its irritating. I think these days people dont have to work as hard as our ancestors did. Technology has made life a lot easier.
Problem is something has happened (SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT) that has the Boss Afraid to FIRE THEM!!! FIRE THEM FIRE THEM FIRE THEM!!!! Okay..sorry, I just HAD to get that out of my system. The Boss allows THEM to LOAF, but I'll lay money he turns to the worker bees and asks/expects them to pick up the slack! Am I right?!!! What The H is RIGHT! Someone tell me..Why Aren't the Loafers Being Fired????

Old 04-26-2010, 06:00 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,454,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deef1 View Post
Problem is something has happened (SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT) that has the Boss Afraid to FIRE THEM!!! FIRE THEM FIRE THEM FIRE THEM!!!! Okay..sorry, I just HAD to get that out of my system. The Boss allows THEM to LOAF, but I'll lay money he turns to the worker bees and asks/expects them to pick up the slack! Am I right?!!! What The H is RIGHT! Someone tell me..Why Aren't the Loafers Being Fired????
Well I work at an independently owned restaurant so things are pretty lax, but I would expect an upscale place to be more strict, at least it was at the last few restaurants I worked at. I don't know why they wont fire people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates