Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 08:43 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I think they just don't realize actually caring about a job and work can be enjoyable.
Citations needed.

I think you just don't realize NOT caring about a job and work can be enjoyable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 08:45 AM

25,689 posts, read 18,773,845 times
You're all over thinking this. Some people don't care about money and junk. It's that simple. Typically, they don't give a damn what others think of them, either.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:54 AM

968 posts, read 2,623,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
You're all over thinking this. Some people don't care about money and junk. It's that simple. Typically, they don't give a damn what others think of them, either.
but thats not the definition of hipster. i've run into a lot and they nitpick the crap out of your life choices until you begin to make the same desicions they did such as, imerse yourself in fake artsy culture, not wear designer clothes, spend time in "artsy" places, listen to music that no one else has heard before. its an elitist group, just not an attractive one.

if you dress like them but don't act like them then you can't be a hipster, because they criticize eachother at the first meeting to see who's more hipster than the other one, then the least hipster one becomes the submissive one in the friends group and the least coolest, its really barbaric and sad.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:00 AM

192 posts, read 560,067 times
Default Hipster Olympics :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
if you dress like them but don't act like them then you can't be a hipster, because they criticize eachother at the first meeting to see who's more hipster than the other one, then the least hipster one becomes the submissive one in the friends group and the least coolest, its really barbaric and sad.
I totally agree. It's still an elitist and competitive game, just with different rules. This video is hilarious:

YouTube - Hipster Olympics

Old 04-22-2010, 09:05 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
but thats not the definition of hipster. i've run into a lot and they nitpick the crap out of your life choices until you begin to make the same desicions they did such as, imerse yourself in fake artsy culture, not wear designer clothes, spend time in "artsy" places, listen to music that no one else has heard before. its an elitist group, just not an attractive one.

And God forbid you're not a vegan or own a car...

My favorite thing is when hipsters refuse to admit that they're hipsters--they're just being "authentic", and they complain about other people who are hipsters as if they themselves are not. Dudes, the call is coming from inside the house.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:19 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Citations needed.

I think you just don't realize NOT caring about a job and work can be enjoyable.
lol

re-read my post please.

I gave the psychological opinion, which I could back up with citations, then I gave my personal opinion.

I have no respect whatsoever for people who cannot or refuse to find work they enjoy. I have no respect for people who simply leech off of society without caring for anyone but themselves.

Again - that is simply my opinion.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:22 AM

Why don't we just have a general thread that goes like "If you're not a ______, bash them. If you are one, defend them". We could reduce this whole forum to just one thread.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:32 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,000 times
The Hipster lifestyle is far less taxing on the planet then the mainstream spouse, kids and mortgage scene. It feels good to have a low burn rate, and the freedom to do what you want in life. Your options continue unabated even if you are a Hipster well into your 40s (or 80s).

I don't admire a completely unproductive Hipster; but I also don't admire a man with 3 kids and a big mortgage who burns 50 times more fossil fuels in suburbia than the Hipster.

Some of yall sound like a clique of misery, the way morbidly obese people call healthy people skinny.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:33 AM

968 posts, read 2,623,210 times
Quote:
lol

re-read my post please.

I gave the psychological opinion, which I could back up with citations, then I gave my personal opinion.

I have no respect whatsoever for people who cannot or refuse to find work they enjoy. I have no respect for people who simply leech off of society without caring for anyone but themselves.

Again - that is simply my opinion.
and a damn good one +1!

Old 04-22-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
l

Just depends on your mindset, I guess. Personally, I find it comforting to seek ways to respect people, rather than to make long and complex lists of people that I don't respect and try to include everyone on the planet on at least one of my lists of people I try not to respect. I doubt if there is a single person in the world, that has so few redeeming qulaities, that I have no respect for him WHATSOEVER.

Somebody has to clean toilets, but that task, which nobody could possibly enjoy, must fall on people that you do not respect, since they cannot or refuse to find work they enjoy. We need your caste system of people to do things that nobody enjoys doing, and are therefore undeserving of your vaunted and grudgingly awarded respect. Personally, I reserve a special category of respect for the people who do the jobs that nobody enjoys doing, and which you are too haughty to disrepectably do.

If I systematically looked for reasons to withdraw my respect from as many complete strangers as possible, I certainly would not brag about it.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-22-2010 at 10:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates