Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 05:56 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkumat View Post
Sorry about that. Maybe you can help me out here. Here's what i meant:
there's statistics, right? say some country ranks # by GDP. What do you call that?
Countries can also rank by population, size, etc, that's why i put it in plural.
I think I understand where you're going with this, but I'm not sure how to word it either. Is historical racism (in the US) responsible for the socioeconimic disparity between blacks and whites? The answer is Yes. As I mentioned, I don't think there's much of a debate there; be it in the US or globally. But, when we look at the global picture and consider colonialism, which no doubt extended to the US, I'm not so sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 05:59 PM

355 posts, read 615,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
What do you think you'll expose me as?

What's the correlation between agreeing with you and you coming off as someone condescending?

How can you objectively decide what's true, when we're not talking about absolutes?

If you felt my post didn't warrant a reply, why did you?

How is it that you can't see the difference between excluding all other posters and filtering out the posts that you find interesting to answer, though not limiting yourself to one poster?

As for your continuous effort to grasp for your straw man theory, I merely said that's how I felt you were coming off (which is subjective, you cannot argue my perception of you), I also apologized if this was not correct, I'm not sure how that fits in.
You're not talking to me, are you? Just making sure.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:01 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Of course its begging the question until it is supported by evidence. That is the purpose of the debate. I have yet to provide the supporting evidence....defense of the claim. At this point I am waiting for a counter thesis. I have received one from an individual the other day who claims is that that factors other than race or inferiority are causations. That is the individual who accepted the challenge.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:04 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,344,990 times
Quote:
You're not talking to me, are you? Just making sure.
No to the OP, I accidentally forgot to quote and I'm too tired to fix it now, hehe.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
You are debating my commentary......not my premise, inference and conclusion on the specific claim of the cause of black socioeconomic equality today.

I have made no supporting defense of my proposition for you to refute. You would have to offer a counter thesis to mine.
I am not debating. I am just making fun of you .
You can make fun of me to, it's cool.
Or we can have a debate, if you want to.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
No to the OP, I accidentally forgot to quote and I'm too tired to fix it now, hehe.
Ok, cool, man.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Of course its begging the question until it is supported by evidence. That is the purpose of the debate. I have yet to provide the supporting evidence....defense of the claim. At this point I am waiting for a counter thesis. I have received one from an individual the other day who claims is that that factors other than race or inferiority are causations. That is the individual who accepted the challenge.
No no no. Your claim was: "that the socioeconomic inequality that exists today, between blacks and whites, is the product of past and present racism."
The obvious counter claim here is: "that the socioeconomic inequality that exists today, between blacks and whites, is NOT the product of past and present racism."
however the "the socioeconomic inequality that exists today" part is begging the question, for you have provided no proof that such inequality exists.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:58 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Y

Most of my reputation points, by the way, come from my posts in the Music and the Food and Drink forums, where a lot of people like my music selections and my culinary imagination.

Aha! Thats what I thought. I once posted a bunch of my favorite Metallica videos and got like 25 rep points in one day!

Old 04-26-2010, 11:20 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
Quote:
As an example of black people devaluing black people, I would like to use Eevee as a case study. Go back to the post about "whats wrong with a majority white city", as well as this one, and look who gets her greatest condemnation. This person says that she is black and there were a lot of racist things said in those topics by white people. Yet, did she attempt to devalue them, to call them out....to call them names, to personally attack them. Nope....she attacked me.......another black person for offering a counter to what racist whites were saying. She did not call the whites racist....she called me a racist. She did not attack the whites (for denigrating blacks) she attacked me. She then followed me into this debate to dish out more attacks against me. If I am to believe that this person is indeed black.....then it is an example of what happens to black people when they don't respect the past. We turn on each other and attack each other because we have lost respect and value for one another when we see each other as our own worst enemies.

oh please. I'm just calling them as I see them. don't spew racist rhetoric than cry when you get called a racist. you seem to think that blacks are incapable of being racist, which is frankly BS. you're a prime example such BS. some whites are racist, some blacks are racists. no race is immune to having racist members among them. get that through your head and you'll likely be far happier in your life (maybe)

what, you think that, as a black person, I have to somehow agree w/ you? do you have some kind of "us against them" mentality? please. I have NO worries about what you think of me, my rep points speak loudly for themselves (no fewer than 4 people repped me for my comments on that thread). YOU are the one that seems to be having trouble legitimizing your position, both on this thread and the community at large. you've gone up 2 points since posting this thread. me thinks you're having trouble getting people to agree w/ you, can't imagine why it's not too uncommon for people who start decent threads to get repped a lot, especially if the thread grows in success.

again, go cry and spew your racist comments somewhere else. you're a prime example of one of the many things wrong in the black community. as i said in the last thread this came up, YES, slavery has made a major impact on the black community, yet there's only so much, in 2010, that can be blamed on slavery. slavery has been abolished for over a century. Jim Crow has been abolished for over 40 years. yes, racism exist but white people can no longer be blamed for holding black people down. we now have a problem of some blacks themselves holding themselves back, blacks that continue in a near never-ending cycle of poverty. I've been long sick of the "woe is me" victim mentality of some blacks, the type of blacks that will cry racism at any point. don't cry and say you can't succeed in the "white man's world" when it's very easy to find blacks who have done so. don't cry and say blacks have it harder when many blacks have overcame adversity. I don't hear Haitians and Jamaicans and blacks from outside the US still whining about this despite having been affected by the same slave trade as blacks in America. why is it that blacks from other country can come here (many w/o knowing a work of English) and mostly succeed while blacks born here have trouble doing so? how long are you going to keep blaming the near 60% high school drop out rates for black males on slavery? how long are you going to attribute the high crime rates in many black majority communities on slavery? how long are you going to play victim and blame all the woes of the black community on slavery? move on already, most blacks have. you're stuck on your anti-white biased attitude and will never seem to see beyond that.

racism exist, yes, no one is disputing that. slavery made an impact on blacks, yes, no one is disputing that. but it's not the primary source of the issues w/in the black community and until you see that, don't waste time on this forum pretending to know how to solve these issues when you've said nothing here to show this, other than "blame whitey"

again, you're the one having issue validating yourself. I've been a long standing member of this community for years, have over 1K rep points to prove I've gain some respect here. you ranting about me and twisting my words means nada when you've been barely able to elevate your standing above that of the common CDF troll. so keep ranting and throwing out your nonsense. so far, this thread has been going fabulously

Last edited by eevee; 04-26-2010 at 11:49 PM.. Reason: sp, added info

Old 04-26-2010, 11:35 PM

Where did our Servant go to?
Yo, Seeeeeeeeervaaaaaaaaant!
Get back to the thread you started, you reverse-racist-challenge-throwing-beating-taking freak!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates