Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 12:06 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,672,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
Who said the maintenace worker is running heavy equipment and showing up drug free? If he is running heavy equipment, he's like the accountant, sitting on his a$$ everyday, only not in an air conditioned room. Your arguments are not holding up, try again.

The OP was specific in the accountants career, but only said the other guy worked on a road maintenance crew. I guess I should have found out if the guy is holding the stop/slow sign or the one using the heavy equipment, maybe he is the foreman, or the one leaning on the shovel. A laborer is a laborer. A skilled workman/women who work on a road maintenance crew is just as valuable as the accountant.

(Too bad they don't have a symbol that uses the finger so I can really show you my ignorance)

Old 04-28-2010, 12:13 PM

78,013 posts, read 60,221,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
Yes, you and mathguy can insult, but I have yet to get a definition.
Most people know how to use google.

But since you want to be spoon fed I went and looked it up.

A cost accountant has a number of functions including the highly surprising function of accounting for the costs involved in operating a business.

However, the skill that is often overlooked is fighting ninjas from rival companies. A good cost accountant must have serious nun-chuck skills and be able to fend off no fewer than 4 sword wielding ninjas in a matter of minutes.

Now if I could only figure out what a truckdriver does for a living.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:15 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,672,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Most people know how to use google.

But since you want to be spoon fed I went and looked it up.

A cost accountant has a number of functions including the highly surprising function of accounting for the costs involved in operating a business.

However, the skill that is often overlooked is fighting ninjas from rival companies. A good cost accountant must have serious nun-chuck skills and be able to fend off no fewer than 4 sword wielding ninjas in a matter of minutes.

Now if I could only figure out what a truckdriver does for a living.

It still sounds like a job a housewife can do seeing how they usually need to know the cost of running a household. Although, I prefer to use a gun rather than nun-chucks.
Funny...I do enjoy sarcasm much more than insults.

Thank you

Old 04-28-2010, 12:21 PM

7,713 posts, read 12,583,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Well...

The lawyer can do the janitor's job.
The janitor cannot do the lawyer's job.

Therefore, the lawyer will get paid more. Period.
Although I kind of agree with you, I don't think it's fair. The janitor and custodians clean up the lawyers crap bathrooms and the floor they walk on and the table they handle documents and cases off of. If they didn't, the firm would be a huge mess. Therefore, the janitors should get paid more than just 30,000 a year. At least in my opinion. It doesn't matter if they switched places. They don't have to get paid on the same level as the lawyers. The lawyers have studied for years to get to where they are. But they should get paid a substantial amount that can actually take care of them.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:46 PM

3,029 posts, read 4,986,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Although I kind of agree with you, I don't think it's fair. The janitor and custodians clean up the lawyers crap bathrooms and the floor they walk on and the table they handle documents and cases off of. If they didn't, the firm would be a huge mess. Therefore, the janitors should get paid more than just 30,000 a year. At least in my opinion. It doesn't matter if they switched places. They don't have to get paid on the same level as the lawyers. The lawyers have studied for years to get to where they are. But they should get paid a substantial amount that can actually take care of them.
How are salaries currently decided and how should they be decided?

Old 04-28-2010, 12:52 PM

216 posts, read 667,429 times
I think salaries are determined by the skill set and education needed to perform the job and also as to whether or not the job is one that generates revenue.

There are exceptions in the case of some union jobs. I know someone who fills pot holes for a living and makes more money than some teachers. A dump truck dumps some asphalt into the hole and he takes a shovel and packs it in and smooths it out with another tool. That's it.

He's a high school drop and not that a high school drop out can't become well read and intelligent, but he's not.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:00 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,651,453 times
You want to mow my lawn while i sip iced teas then skip school and dont go to college. You want to sit in an air condtioned office and and get BJs from your hot assistant while interns do your job, go to college.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
It still sounds like a job a housewife can do seeing how they usually need to know the cost of running a household. Although, I prefer to use a gun rather than nun-chucks.
Funny...I do enjoy sarcasm much more than insults.

Thank you
Well, a lot of it gets into correctly allocating costs to projects and determining profitability etc.

Let me give you an example of what someone in that type of job (or something similar) might do that could go really wrong.

GMAC's Leasing Woes Spur Auto Finance Losses; GM On The Hook

Old 04-28-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
You want to sit in an air condtioned office and and get BJs from your hot assistant while interns do your job, go to college.
Are you guys taking applications?

Old 04-28-2010, 01:18 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,618,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
You want to mow my lawn while i sip iced teas then skip school and dont go to college. You want to sit in an air condtioned office and and get BJs from your hot assistant while interns do your job, go to college.
My sons had a lawn mowing service when they were in high school. Worked hard, did excellent work, and made a lot of money.

And thanks for the offer, but I'm not interested in having you as an office assistant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.