Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 07:37 AM

128 posts, read 403,360 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine who works really really hard doing really physically draining highway maintenance work is paid poorly. He comes home from work emotionally and physically drained. But at the end he is just making enough money for basic survival. Another friend of ours makes close to $100K as a Cost Accountant. The job is not too hard for him but the bosses are pleased with his work. He got the job because he studied hard in school and got a Masters Degree in Accounting and has become an expert in Cost Accounting.

But should he make three times as much sitting in an office in 72 comfort in his own office as our other friend who makes 30K for busting his butt on the highway road project in extreme weather?

Old 04-28-2010, 07:40 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Should everyone's dreams come true? Should there be a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow? Should everyone live happily ever after? Should there be world peace?

Everyone's pay is based on the point at which these two lines intersect:
1. What someone is willing to pay them.
2. What they are willing to accept.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:06 AM

78,414 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tough Questions View Post
A friend of mine who works really really hard doing really physically draining highway maintenance work is paid poorly. He comes home from work emotionally and physically drained. But at the end he is just making enough money for basic survival. Another friend of ours makes close to $100K as a Cost Accountant. The job is not too hard for him but the bosses are pleased with his work. He got the job because he studied hard in school and got a Masters Degree in Accounting and has become an expert in Cost Accounting.

But should he make three times as much sitting in an office in 72 comfort in his own office as our other friend who makes 30K for busting his butt on the highway road project in extreme weather?
Take a healthy 20 yr old and how long would it take to have them replace your 2 friends at their jobs? Many 20 year olds probably can't do the cost accounting job or at least not well no matter how hard they tried and it would take them the better part of a decade to get there. Ditto for someone that flies commercial jets or is an air traffic controller etc. etc. etc.

So basically, it's supply and demand....and in the case of the cost accounting job years of formal and then on the job training. (Not to mention a fairly high cash layout for that education.)

The job it "not too hard for him" because he has mental gifts that he has developed over many many years.

Basically, it sounds like you don't value education.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:35 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,678,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tough Questions View Post

What is a cost accountant? Sounds like a job a housewife could do?

Old 04-28-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Take a healthy 20 yr old and how long would it take to have them replace your 2 friends at their jobs? Many 20 year olds probably can't do the cost accounting job or at least not well no matter how hard they tried and it would take them the better part of a decade to get there. Ditto for someone that flies commercial jets or is an air traffic controller etc. etc. etc.

So basically, it's supply and demand....and in the case of the cost accounting job years of formal and then on the job training. (Not to mention a fairly high cash layout for that education.)

The job it "not too hard for him" because he has mental gifts that he has developed over many many years.

Basically, it sounds like you don't value education.

It sounds like you do not value hard work and good roads.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:50 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
It's all about supply & demand.

If there are 100 guys lined up, waiting and willing to do the job your buddy is doing - and do it for half the pay per year - chances are your buddy is in big trouble.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
It's all about supply & demand.

If there are 100 guys lined up, waiting and willing to do the job your buddy is doing - and do it for half the pay per year - chances are your buddy is in big trouble.

Yes, but of those 100 guys how many can run heavy equipment, are drug free and show up to work?

Old 04-28-2010, 09:25 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
Yes, but of those 100 guys how many can run heavy equipment, are drug free and show up to work?
Yep. Exactly.

Jtur88 earlier mentioned that it depends on what somebody is willing to pay, and what somebody is willing to accept.

If the employer cannot find people to show up sober and do a good job of operating the equipment, that job ends up bringing in more pay.

A buddy of mine was recently telling me about these "Skyscraper Crane" operators. The guys who have experience, and really know what they're doing, make $150 per hour or more. Is it worth it? Obviously it's worth it to the employers!

Old 04-28-2010, 09:27 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Pay now or pay later.

Study hard in school and college and grad school, forsaking your friends, your family, and your youth (while others party and cavort) and the rest of your life may be a lot easier in terms of making more money with less effort.

Take the easy road early, have a good time while you're young, and keep paying for the rest of your life. It's a toss-up.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:28 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
[/b]

It sounds like you do not value hard work and good roads.
I value them. I just know there are a lot more people you can train a lot faster than some guy who does micro eye surgery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates