Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 11:02 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times

Advertisements

What is the world coming to when people think that smoking pot is "no big deal??" Maybe its not quite as harmful as heroin or cocaine, but it doesn't mean that marijuana is "harmless" or something that you'd want to live around.

Not that smoking cigarettes is a good thing, but I don't understand how at the same time that cigarettes are more demonized than ever before, that public attitudes and even the government's attitudes towards marijuana seems to be softening. Smoking is harmful to your health, but at least it doesn't make you intoxicated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 11:21 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,766,703 times
I promise to stay on topic!!

Old 05-03-2010, 01:31 PM

2,362 posts, read 5,140,230 times
I'd rather see people be able to use it at their own discretion , But it should be taxed and regulated ( x amount of plants allowed or amount of Oz's or lbs )

After work Bake ..

Cheers

Old 05-03-2010, 04:45 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,008,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
What is the world coming to when people think that smoking pot is "no big deal??" Maybe its not quite as harmful as heroin or cocaine, but it doesn't mean that marijuana is "harmless" or something that you'd want to live around.

Not that smoking cigarettes is a good thing, but I don't understand how at the same time that cigarettes are more demonized than ever before, that public attitudes and even the government's attitudes towards marijuana seems to be softening. Smoking is harmful to your health, but at least it doesn't make you intoxicated.
My original comment was meant to imply that the news story was a little over-sensationalized. "Full scale operation" sounds a lot bigger than what it actually WAS. I'm remembering a few months ago when there was a bust in Blooming Grove area and THAT was a "full scale operation." Hundreds of plants, officials in hazmat suits, etc.

This was just a small time operation from what the story said, and should have been treated as such.

That said, I would not be opposed to the legalization of marijuana for medicinal purposes.

And since alcohol is legal for recreational use, more intoxicating and more dangerous simply because it's not illegal for people of age to use, I see no reason why pot should not be legal for controlled situations.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenRice View Post

And since alcohol is legal for recreational use, more intoxicating and more dangerous simply because it's not illegal for people of age to use, I see no reason why pot should not be legal for controlled situations.
Alcohol CAN be more dangerous, but the reality is that you can drink alcohol and not become intoxicated...I can drink 2 beers and not be drunk. Alcohol is not intoxicating in moderation, marijuana is intoxicating in any amount.

For medicinal purposes, prescribed by a doctor, I can agree with legalizing it....but I would have to think that if a doctor is going to prescribe it, there has to be less toxic way to do it than smoking it. I believe there is marijuana in a pill form.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:52 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,766,703 times
Quote:
Alcohol CAN be more dangerous, but the reality is that you can drink alcohol and not become intoxicated...I can drink 2 beers and not be drunk. Alcohol is not intoxicating in moderation, marijuana is intoxicating in any amount.

For medicinal purposes, prescribed by a doctor, I can agree with legalizing it....but I would have to think that if a doctor is going to prescribe it, there has to be less toxic way to do it than smoking it. I believe there is marijuana in a pill form.
I TOTALLY disaggree with this. You describe how the two different 'things' effect YOU. It effects everyone differently. Toxic??? I'm sure every pot smoker is just waiting for their liver to blow up.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
I TOTALLY disaggree with this. You describe how the two different 'things' effect YOU. It effects everyone differently. Toxic??? I'm sure every pot smoker is just waiting for their liver to blow up.
Your liver won't "blow up" from moderate drinking. But I'm sure pot smoking, over time, will turn your brain to "mush" as well as all the negative effects of smoking anything...lung cancer, COPD, etc.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:30 AM

87 posts, read 254,094 times
Quote:

This statement is false and typical of those who truly do not know about the drug. Marijuana is a progressive drug with steps just like Alcohol, with one key difference.. Marijuana has a threshold. Meaning that when you smoke there is a point where the THC becomes non-affective and your body responds in the same manner with increased amounts. You can not become over intoxicated from smoking more, whereas with alcohol you can push over the threshold and induce alcohol poisoning. One hit of pot is less affective than two hits and so on. Just like one drink is less affective than two.

Further more, there are other ways to consume this drug rather than smoking. Confectionary methods deliver the same amount of thc and have no ill affects on ones lungs. Burning anything (cardboard, plastic, oil, a cupcake) produces carcinogens that are harmful to your lungs. Use a vaporizer and there will be no smoke, no toxins.

The statements by people who assume they know is the reason others that are ignorant of the facts receive wrong information. Remember reefer madness back in the old old days? It was a propaganda scare tactic.

The amount of plants this guy was growing was not a full scale operation. It was probably for personal use amongst friends. However, the current law was broken and he should do his time.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:56 AM

I find it funny that the people who push the hardest for legalizing "medical" marijuana are usually just potheads who want to get high.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:18 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,008,541 times
I've never even smelled someone ELSE's marijauna (to my knowledge)....let alone smoked it myself. I find it funny that you can make such a judgment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates