Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 10:46 PM

378 posts, read 424,521 times

Advertisements

All this flap over Arizona, the protesters smearing refried bean swastikas on the Capitol (they don't want to be stereotyped), calling for statewide boycotts . . .

(1) Why should any special interest groups or the federal government have the right to usurp state legislation?

They should not.

(2) Is it or is it not a violation of federal law for ANY person to be in America without having followed proper procedure for citizenship?

It is.

Therefore, isn't this Arizona hoopla an entirely moot point?

Arizona is simply trying to do what the federal government won't.

Shame on BHO for stepping in and challenging the law because he is supposed to respect the law and each state's authority to govern.

Additionally, the new legislation is fraught with restrictions and special criteria.

The opponents are crying foul without considering the facts.

Those who oppose the types of measures taken in Arizona are acting on the basis of racism, and nothing else. None of them analyze the true issues and consequences of illegal immigration and the blatant violation of federal law.

Tom Tancredo said something the other day that I think absolutely sums up the issue of illegal immigration in America . . . he said Democrats want the votes and Republicans want the cheap labor.

He is right on target with that . . . votes, labor, and I add: racism. Those are the three components which fuel this entire topic.

The aspects that SHOULD be of most significance - like following the law and protecting this great nation and its legal citizens - have been completely lost, thrown to the fringes.

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 11:43 PM

731 posts, read 1,579,624 times
I absolutely agree with you. I wonder why those people who are making bean swastikas aren't ID'd. I hope they are all legal citizens. Citizens have the "right to assemble and petition etc. Illegal immigrants don't have the right to protest at all, and it is hard for me to believe that legal citizens would protest in this way.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:50 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Too many threads on this topic making exactly the same points over and over again. Moderator, please delete.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Too many threads on this topic making exactly the same points over and over again. Moderator, please delete.
EXCUSE ME??!

How dare you ask the mod to delete MY post - a post I took some time to articulate in the form of two specific questions and post here for debate.

If the moderator wishes to delete my post, I would request that he or she PM me to discuss this.

But for another poster to make this kind of statement about another's post is REALLY RUDE!

Old 05-01-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desli View Post
EXCUSE ME??!

How dare you ask the mod to delete MY post - a post I took some time to articulate in the form of two specific questions and post here for debate.

If the moderator wishes to delete my post, I would request that he or she PM me to discuss this.

But for another poster to make this kind of statement about another's post is REALLY RUDE!
My "statement" was a request to a moderator, prefaced by the word 'please'. Your comment could have been posted in one of several threads already discussing this topic, without harming whatever impact it merited. I asked the moderator to delete the thread, not the post. In such a case, your post would have been reassigned to its appropriate place---in a relevant existing thread. Which is routine practice when the number of threads on the same topic becomes excessive.

Note that, as a courtesy to other users, I did not start a new thread for the purpose of saying what I had to say about this. That, sir, would have been REALLY RUDE. You are a newcomer here. I suggest you familiarize yourself with some of the protocols.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
That, sir, would have been REALLY RUDE. You are a newcomer here. I suggest you familiarize yourself with some of the protocols.
And I suggest that this board is too busy and filled with a huge variety of interesting topics for you to focus on my little ol' thread in this manner. If you don't like a new thread, skip it, move on.

My questions were very specific and I did not want them to get lost in another thread. I don't believe I violated any TOS here, and my thread has a right to be read and commented on - if anyone so wishes.

Just because I am a "newcomer" does not give YOU the right butt in and try to call the shots.

Really, "sir", "please" just move on.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desli View Post

My questions were very specific and I did not want them to get lost in another thread. I don't believe I violated any TOS here,
Nobody wants their points to get lost in another thread, but if they have merit, they will not get lost. The TOS stipulates that the moderator of this forum has wider latitude than other forums, and does not need to be bound by the TOS, and if you read the sticky post that heads this forum, you will see that.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:10 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Quote:
I don't see multiple threads in GREAT DEBATES such as this one. Maybe your confusing this forum with the Politics forum?

There is no usurping occuring. Protesting yes usurping no. Americans have the right to protest and should for causes they believe to be true. Illegal aliens should have no such rights in a country they willfully entered against the law.

Aren't laws made to be broken? That should be the new slogan of illegal alien protest marches. Not si se puede.

Yankee go Home, LOL oh wait that's right this is your home.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post

Yankee go Home, LOL oh wait that's right this is your home.
Now that we've killed as many Mexicans as was necessary to take their home away from them, so illegal immigrants from America could own slaves there.

You did know that, didn't you? That settlers from the southern states moved into Mexico, without bothering with any border formalities, and took over the land, and wanted to bring their slaves, which were already illegal in Mexico, so the Americans killed whatever Mexicans were in the way in order to make northern Mexico a slave-state.

And that, boys and girls, is why it is now "Our Home", and They can't come in anymore.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:47 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Quote:
Now that we've killed as many Mexicans as was necessary to take their home away from them, so illegal immigrants from America could own slaves there.

You did know that, didn't you? That settlers from the southern states moved into Mexico, without bothering with any border formalities, and took over the land, and wanted to bring their slaves, which were already illegal in Mexico, so the Americans killed whatever Mexicans were in the way in order to make northern Mexico a slave-state.

And that, boys and girls, is why it is now "Our Home", and They can't come in anymore.
Come know, jtur88 are we going to debate current issues from this century or ones from the 1800's. I think her post had to due with Arizona's new law. You sly dog you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates