Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2010, 09:33 AM

5,648 posts, read 5,070,404 times

Advertisements

Another local Virginia story. I wasn't aware, but Arlington County, VA and next the City of Alexandria will be implenting RFID chips into recycling bins to monitor who is and who isn't recycling. Residents who are not participating will be "educated" on the values of participating.

I'm not in Arlington nor Alexandria, but should this spread to my neighborhood I'd be happy to "re-educate" any officials who come to my door to talk about my lack of participation.

I found several stories online. Here is one:

New recycling bins with tracking chips coming to Alexandria | Washington Examiner (http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/local/New-recycling-bins-with-tracking-chips-coming-to-Alexandria-92880219.html - broken link)

So what think you? Do governments have any right to gather information on such a petty issue let alone act on it by targeting residents? If they have trash removal on their agenda, I'd suggest they spend money on picking up illegals and recycling them back to their country of origin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 10:08 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,491,742 times
Recycling is NOT a big deal people. Seriously, how much extra effort is it to place plastic in a separate container and reduce the amounts going into our landfills?

ETA: And does everything really need to relate back to illegal immigrants or is that just a personal obsession with "brown" people?

Old 05-08-2010, 10:54 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,310,938 times
I'd either destroy the RFID or find a different trash container.

I actually do recycle, but I won't allow some government body to spy on my damn trash!

The west is becoming more and more like a prison.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:11 AM

5,648 posts, read 5,070,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Recycling is NOT a big deal people. Seriously, how much extra effort is it to place plastic in a separate container and reduce the amounts going into our landfills?

ETA: And does everything really need to relate back to illegal immigrants or is that just a personal obsession with "brown" people?
When it's mandated and information on participation is gathered, then it is a big deal.

Where did I mention brown people? I cited illegals, not a particular race - that was your idea. When I take out the trash, it doesn't matter what color it is - the Pepsi cans get thrown away in the same bag as the Coke cans.

Old 05-08-2010, 12:35 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,979,513 times
We are expected to recycle and yet corporations put all kinds of chemical in the meat.
Steroids, growth hormone, estrogen boosters.

Old 05-08-2010, 01:22 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,772,693 times
My city (60,000) has only one recycling collection center, open three days a week, and that's it. Paper, cans, plactic conainers (1 or 2), and that's it. No cartons.

It looks like, if i lived in Virginia, if I didn't buy very many things that came in recyclable packaging, I'd get a knock at the door from the recycling police. telling me to consume more, in order to bring my recycling up to quota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates