U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 01:21 AM

36 posts, read 27,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occam's Bikini Wax View Post
The dead need no respect, what we do when we pay large sums to bury our dead is purely for the living. Dead people don't give a damn what happens to their corpses. Personally, I am going to be cremated, and my ashes split amongst many friends who will be instructed to do something funny or irreverent or exciting with them; whatever they please to do to remember me and how much pleasure I've gotten from life.
I would choose natural burial in the hope that nature in the future may arrange some kind of producing new life which may have some connection with my present life and which is worth to live as my life.No one can exclude this possibility since nature had really produced us from lifeless chaos.and I'm afraid that cremation will destroy that possibility.

Old 05-08-2010, 06:52 AM

27,237 posts, read 26,936,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fufalian View Post
The origin of life and humans is unknown.That is to say that humans do not know how they came into being and why humans come to this world.
We only know that life and humanity is the product of natural process.Humans should therefore be in a humble attitude towards nature and the product of natural process: the human body.

Death and giving birth both are parts of natural process.Death is human body lose its functions and stops working.In nature,animals after death are decomposed by microbes and become the nutrients of microbes and plants,thus participate in the circulation of the organic matter in biosphere. This course has already lasted hundreds of millions of years since life appeared on earth,and our bodies are the products of this circulation.
After death,as long as not to burn the body as garbage by cremation,the body would still be in the original natural process.The remains would be eaten by microbes and plants,thus turned into other life forms and still in the biosystem and participate in the eternal circulation and evolvement of life in nature.
Nature never produces garbage.Its every process is reasonable,otherwise it is unlikely to create life and humans.
Death is a normal natural process,but cremation is the artificial destruction of the human body.and is the artificial destruction of things and processes that we don't really know.
Burial is to return the human body to nature.let it be handled by nature,even coffins are redundant.The dead thus blend naturally and be in one with nature and live forever with nature.By that we pay reverence to nature and things that we don't really know and also the greatest respect for the dead.
So why cremation?
It doesn't bother me to be buried, or cremated. My body is but an empty vessel when I die. What would bother me is the wasted resource of not using the land for any other purpose than my grave, especially with any kind of marker. I'm no one special, and don't merit remembrance. No body, no marker, no remembrance--that's why I would prefer cremation over burial, but either one is fine. It's not like I'm going to know the difference.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:28 AM

1,823 posts, read 1,044,215 times
Little do u know oh people of nature, what is your past and what is your future ?

Old 05-08-2010, 08:22 AM

1,206 posts, read 2,719,219 times
I'd like to sell my body to a traveling exhibit that plastinates my body for display in all its gory detail. With my luck they'll probably just chop off my sexual organ for everyone to gawk at.

Old 05-08-2010, 03:02 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,085,519 times
Its cheaper.
Unless they allow people to just toss the bodies into the oceans or something for free.
My aunt donated her body to science and they paid the family a cool grand.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:29 PM

36 posts, read 27,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
It doesn't bother me to be buried, or cremated. My body is but an empty vessel when I die. What would bother me is the wasted resource of not using the land for any other purpose than my grave, especially with any kind of marker. I'm no one special, and don't merit remembrance. No body, no marker, no remembrance--that's why I would prefer cremation over burial, but either one is fine. It's not like I'm going to know the difference.
I never found Cremation to be environmentally ethical, all the smoke released into the air ,while dead corpse in soil will prove to be beneficial to the plants and trees. We can " ritualize " death without breaking the cycle of natural decomposition.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:38 PM

27,237 posts, read 26,936,731 times
^Oh, I don't care if my body is left to decay. My only concern is if the land cannot then be used for any further purpose, I have no issues with building properties over a graveyard.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:48 AM

6,691 posts, read 5,581,932 times
As with most everything else in the US, the dead have become a way for someone to make a profit. All about money. It really is pathetic: a waste of metal, hardwood, cement, and otherwise usable real estate.

As for me, if I don't die of a contagious/dangerous illness, bury me at sea (hey, I've eaten plenty of fish; I may as well return the favor), or bury me in a cheap pine box or burlap with no ridiculous preservation methods for the dead meat (the worms will thank me). If my body is a danger to others, burn it.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:27 AM

13,148 posts, read 10,699,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
As with most everything else in the US, the dead have become a way for someone to make a profit. All about money. It really is pathetic: a waste of metal, hardwood, cement, and otherwise usable real estate.
Read "The American Way of Death" by Jessica Mitford. The funeral industry is a crock.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:42 PM

515 posts, read 441,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fufalian View Post
The origin of life and humans is unknown.
Did you never read the Bible?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates