U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 03:02 PM

1,684 posts, read 1,427,464 times

Advertisements

I've read a lot about Afrocentric schools over the years. I just simply cannot get my mind around the idea that an Afrocentric school is anything other than a racial segregated school. I just read this African American students are thriving in Afro-centric schools | jacksonville.com.

Many of the words and phrases used to defend Afrocentric schools, are the same words and phrases used in the 50s and early 60s by Southern whites folks trying to rationalize segregation. The only difference is that today those words are being spoken by blacks.

So do all cultures (including white culture) get their own specific public schools, or do we all integrate? That's the question.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:14 PM

25,631 posts, read 29,117,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
I've read a lot about Afrocentric schools over the years. I just simply cannot get my mind around the idea that an Afrocentric school is anything other than a racial segregated school. I just read this African American students are thriving in Afro-centric schools | jacksonville.com.

Many of the words and phrases used to defend Afrocentric schools, are the same words and phrases used in the 50s and early 60s by Southern whites folks trying to rationalize segregation. The only difference is that today those words are being spoken by blacks.

So do all cultures (including white culture) get their own specific public schools, or do we all integrate? That's the question.
Separate but equal. What you gotta problem with that?

Old 05-11-2010, 03:19 PM

3,408 posts, read 3,460,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post

These schools are just as bad as the white schools prior to desegregation. The problem is, too many black people are being told that the only way they can make it in life, is if they keep themselves seperate from white people.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:20 PM

1,684 posts, read 1,427,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Actually, that's not my preference, but if that's what the majority of American people want, I would be for it. I do believe that we as a society can't pick and choose who gets to segregate and who has to integrate.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
I willingly admit, yes, I have a problem with it. How about no need to point out equal, because there isnt a seperation?

Old 05-11-2010, 04:55 PM

3,566 posts, read 4,491,128 times
There are many factors at work here.

If you go back and listen to the people that were involved in the cases under Brown v Board of Education, you will find that they were not for integration. They just wanted the same tools, buildings and etc. When integration started, the students moved but most of the African American teachers lost their jobs. The vast majority of our teachers have been middle class white females. And we still have schools where the vast majority of the student population is white.There was criticism that African American students were supposed to do well just by rubbing off the white student population.

For the past 20 years, many universities have a requirement for diversity in education. Unfortunately, the movement to privatize schools, a'la Reagan, does not give teachers the ability to teach or even use that knowledge due to the demands of teaching. And flat out, there are many indifferent teachers. Each culture brings its own world view and time orientaion to the table and it would work in schools if people stopped trying to run it like a business and ditch the amount of testing done. They won't.

On top of this there are useless administrations regarding the safety of students. You have students that speak to those in charge when they believe that they are in danger and nothing is done about it because it is not their problem. The kids start bringing weapons to school to protect themselves or they wind up dead on the street. The cops work the schools and the kids are expelled and/or arrested and my favorite, "we don't want your kind here". Please note that this has been said to white students, too. So, what do the kids do? The message that has been sent is that they are not wanted in the schools or it is a safety issue. Many of these kids are very bright. This is a loss of talent.

We have areas that are so gang infested that we have kids that are dying every week. The message from a large portion of the white community has been go in there and fix your problem. When they do, there is a backlash.

Does it make a difference to a Hispanic kid if he/she reads about the Mexican participation in the Revolutionary War? Yes!!! How about African American students? Yes!!! There is a connection to the material. It also makes a difference if the teacher is black or hispanic. At this point, there isn't enough time in public schools to use great lesson plans because of the testing and there sure isn't time for diversity.

Finger, in Chicago, is a hideous school. I do not think that I have met a kid that attended that school that liked it. There are kids that are expelled for "too many fights" but they are getting jumped every other day. I just had a case where a kid was an honor roll student and was quite successful in school and was kicked out. She was severely beaten and hospitalized and her crime was being successful. She ended up at an Alternative school. Here is this gifted girl who had to get up every day and survive the neighborhood to get to school to survive the school to get home to survive the neighborhood. Most kids under that kind of pressure drop.

I say, if you have successful African American only schools where the kids thrive and are allowed to realize their full potential and are nurtured and safe then support it. To stand around and whine about not having a Euro-centric school is absurd and childish. Not saying that you are at all.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
There are many factors at work here.

Finger, in Chicago, is a hideous school. I do not think that I have met a kid that attended that school that liked it. There are kids that are expelled for "too many fights" but they are getting jumped every other day. I just had a case where a kid was an honor roll student and was quite successful in school and was kicked out. She was severely beaten and hospitalized and her crime was being successful. She ended up at an Alternative school. Here is this gifted girl who had to get up every day and survive the neighborhood to get to school to survive the school to get home to survive the neighborhood. Most kids under that kind of pressure drop.
For one the School is Fenger.. not Finger.
There are many kids that like Fenger High School. There are also many that go there that are successful in their studies, but never have problems because of it. The problems at Fenger High School are over kids from an other area being shipped in, because their neighborhood school was converted to a Military Acedemy.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:13 PM

3,566 posts, read 4,491,128 times
Fenger. My bad. Anything else?

Old 05-11-2010, 05:36 PM

31,385 posts, read 31,057,040 times
First of all, I have yet to find an Afrocentric charter school which denies students of other races from attending, so let's just just throw out "separate but equal" argument.

Secondly, we still recognize a place for schools that are segregated based upon sex based upon perceived differences needed for a successful academic career.

So, if we accept, as the Supreme Court has, that there is a place for voluntary programs which target a particular student body to foster an educational environment more conducive to their learning experience, what is the problem?

Old 05-11-2010, 05:45 PM

5,414 posts, read 7,628,292 times
No, because there are scholarships and schools for every other race. Asian, Hispanic/Latino, Native American, African American, but if there was a school or scholarship just for European Americans it would be labeled racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates