Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 05:25 AM

367 posts, read 1,023,463 times

Advertisements

Should older truck drivers be forced to retire? (http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-31836-Dallas-Trucking-Examiner~y2010m5d12-Should-older-truck-drivers-be-forced-to-retire# - broken link)

blame it on inexperience, fatigue, a horrible thing to happen. but if a otherwise healthy person is guilty of nothing more than being over 65 years of age and causing an accident as in this instance, should there be a law that forces anyone over the age of 65 to retire?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 05:35 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,617,567 times
Only the honest ones follow the rules/laws, and they aren't what the laws are for.

We don't need govt' involved anymore than it has to. Whats next, can't drive till you have experience, say 30yrs old?

Old 05-12-2010, 06:18 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,528,261 times
Simply put, yes. The industry has been studying what health and age guidelines to place on truck drivers. It is time to implement them. Truck drivers operate vehicles with a weight of 80,000 pounds, many carrying hazardous material. When there is a huge disaster like a tractor trailer overturning spreading fumes which kill, then everyone will start to wonder where was the govt.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:22 AM

442 posts, read 965,046 times
If you are talking about 18 wheelers which I think you are, yes/no they should retire because it has been shown refexes are slower. Rather than retire them have them ride shotgun for experience. IDK like hire them for consultations???

Old 05-12-2010, 06:50 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,677,012 times
I would blame it on fatigue. Anyone driving for ten hours straigt is going to be tired.

I'm sure the companies will force them to retire instead of testing them for physical and mental capabilities. Except for the fact that it is hard to find truck drivers these days.

Look at all the older people driving these class A motor homes that need no special licensing. I know it's not the same as hauling hazardous materials, but even truck drivers I believe are required to have special permits for doing so.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:20 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,673,014 times
There should be mandatory driving test for anyone over the age of 60 regardless of occupation every 5 years. The little old lady that lives next door to my parents(aged 87) crashed her car through my parents living room because she thought she was in reverse when backing out of her driveway. Luckily they were not home and on vacation.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:00 AM

25,684 posts, read 18,770,132 times
Why only truckers? Let's forbid any driving by anyone younger than 27 and older than 50. There was an accident just yesterday here where a 25-year-old hit a dodge in his kia. Last week, a 51-year-old ran into a ford truck with his nissan. These age groups have no business AT ALL on the road.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:36 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,029,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
There should be mandatory driving test for anyone over the age of 60 regardless of occupation every 5 years.
In this day and age of computer simulations, I would argue that everyone should be required to take a periodic examination that test real world scenarios that can evaluate reflexes, judgement, and overall driving skills. I might argue a more frequent time period for those over a certain age, but I see no reason for an arbitrary cutoff point which isn't based upon individual ability.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:34 AM

968 posts, read 2,623,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Why only truckers? Let's forbid any driving by anyone younger than 27 and older than 50. There was an accident just yesterday here where a 25-year-old hit a dodge in his kia. Last week, a 51-year-old ran into a ford truck with his nissan. These age groups have no business AT ALL on the road.
instead of a ban on all drivers below 27, why not require a driver test every 3 years until 30, and then after 50, a driver test every 5 years. i am 24 and could happily pass a 10 minute drivers test on a tuesday morning, and my really low insurance payment proves that. i pay 90 bucks a month every 6 months, i have a friend (25) who pays 236 bucks a month for 6 months, that 2800 fricken bucks a year because he's totalled 2 cars and ripped the bumper off his current car. he's a horrible driver...i don't ride with him.

HE needs the driver test so he can be banned from driving (and take his stupid luxury car away) however banning me from driving will only serve resentment from me to you because i've had one crash in my lifetime, and the only reason it was my fault was because i apologized and SAID it was my fault. the insurance company told me the cars physical damage looked like he purposefully caused it.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:39 AM

968 posts, read 2,623,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
In this day and age of computer simulations, I would argue that everyone should be required to take a periodic examination that test real world scenarios that can evaluate reflexes, judgement, and overall driving skills. I might argue a more frequent time period for those over a certain age, but I see no reason for an arbitrary cutoff point which isn't based upon individual ability.
I completely agree with you that the senarios would help people gain experience and i think it would weed out the crazy people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates