Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 09:45 AM

2,544 posts, read 4,281,135 times

Advertisements

I don't agree with the statement (made on this thread several times) that clotheslines are a sign of poverty. If that is the perception, then it is wildly inaccurate, and indicates the elitism inherent in HOAs, if this is something they are bothering themselves with.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:23 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
I don't agree with the statement (made on this thread several times) that clotheslines are a sign of poverty. If that is the perception, then it is wildly inaccurate, and indicates the elitism inherent in HOAs, if this is something they are bothering themselves with.
Clotheslines are no more a sign of poverty than a satellite dish is a sign of a redneck.

This thread is a perfect example of why I will NEVER own a house anywhere near a HOA. While HOAs have the right to enact regulations, it is something I choose to NOT be a part of.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:30 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Clotheslines are no more a sign of poverty than a satellite dish is a sign of a redneck.

This thread is a perfect example of why I will NEVER own a house anywhere near a HOA. While HOAs have the right to enact regulations, it is something I choose to NOT be a part of.
Here in Arizona (and other western states), subdivisions developed in the last 15 years have deed restrictions - and where there are these deed restrictions, there are HOA's.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:50 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,874,010 times
I would not choose to live in an area with an HOA. I won't allow others to tell me what can happen on my property. The local city and county already perform that function adequately for my needs.

With that said, I don't have a problem with HOAs. If people wish to band together for a perceived mutual benefit that is their right.

My brother lives in an HOA and loves it. They have yard and home maintenance standards, while also maintaining a neighborhood pool. I enjoy teasing him that when I visit I will park my 30 year old car in his front yard, and we can take bets on how long until he gets a complaint.

To each his own!

Old 06-08-2010, 01:00 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
I would not choose to live in an area with an HOA. I won't allow others to tell me what can happen on my property. The local city and county already perform that function adequately for my needs.

With that said, I don't have a problem with HOAs. If people wish to band together for a perceived mutual benefit that is their right.

My brother lives in an HOA and loves it. They have yard and home maintenance standards, while also maintaining a neighborhood pool. I enjoy teasing him that when I visit I will park my 30 year old car in his front yard, and we can take bets on how long until he gets a complaint.

To each his own!
You're right - to each his own.

I have a brother & sister-in-law who are seriously looking at buying a townhome in sort of a modified HOA area. $85 per month "association fees", etc. Lawn care & snow removal provided. House painted every 5 years - to one of the approved colors...

If they love it, good for them. There's not an ice cube's chance in hell that I'd live there...

Old 06-08-2010, 05:13 PM

5,335 posts, read 4,423,566 times
What started out as a reasonable debate issue, that of personal choice and freedoms vs HOAs, has turned into another not so great debate.

Thread closed
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates