U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 03:48 PM

8,669 posts, read 6,344,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
I didn't see the link, and I see you chose to read the worst into my post.

The point I was trying to make is that White pride, Black Pride, Asian pride or Hispanic Pride for that matter won't enable progress.

Or in other words: I don't think you'll fight ignorance within one colour by applying the same in another, you just create polarization. You change the world and society by being better than the current standard, and you change it one person at the time, starting with yourself.

Let me ask you this: Why is it so important to have pride in your colour?
That is mighty pompus of you to say because you are the favored group. You only have something to lose....which is to not be recognized for your greatness and superiority. You likely see these kids as "very perceptive". What da problem is

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 05-15-2010 at 03:57 PM..

Old 05-15-2010, 03:55 PM

160 posts, read 132,190 times
You are right. It's disgusting and truly sickening when whites say that blacks should just get over or forget slavery and other parts of Americas racist history.

Old 05-15-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
Irish were slaves for a LONG time, why don't we need Irish-centric schools? Please reply
http://www.city-data.com/forum/14191964-post10.html

Old 05-15-2010, 04:01 PM

516 posts, read 1,194,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
And this is why the issue of race will never be resolved. When seeing is not believing....and cognitive dissonance rules.....its hopeless. There is none as blind as thos who refuse to see.
You know, if you think about it.. curly haired people are always presented in a negative or crazy light...usually 'murders' in movies have crazy curly hair, (heck look at Side Show Bob).. yet I don't have self hatred for having curly hair, even though I was flat out made fun of, etc..Constantly I'm seeing flat irons, products to combat my naturally curly hair... Beautiful women have straight hair, or curly hair via curling irons, but never naturally curly hair... But. because my dad always insisted my hair was part of why I was beautiful, etc.I never hated my hair. I found it hard to work with, yes, but it never created a problem like it may have someone else with lack of family involvement.... so why is it that black people can't have the same impact within a family?

While I understand that no one was enslaved for their natural hair style, it's a similar context of societal pressure... What I'm saying is, NO MATTER HOW hard society says anything, a good family foundation can change the way a child would see themselves.

Old 05-15-2010, 04:03 PM

25,631 posts, read 29,130,726 times
Quote:
Well...how do these children learn that whiteness represents a positive self image? Even if their parent presented a negative image....how do whites get to be the positiv image?
You think the two are mutually exclusive? If I learn math I can't learn english at the same time? Are you saying these children are not able to comprehend more than one idea? I'm a proud American-Hispanic with a positive image of both whites and hispanics. I don't remember going to any Hispanocentric schools.

Old 05-15-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaecho View Post
You know, if you think about it.. curly haired people are always presented in a negative or crazy light...usually 'murders' in movies have crazy curly hair, (heck look at Side Show Bob).. yet I don't have self hatred for having curly hair, even though I was flat out made fun of, etc..Constantly I'm seeing flat irons, products to combat my naturally curly hair... Beautiful women have straight hair, or curly hair via curling irons, but never naturally curly hair... But. because my dad always insisted my hair was part of why I was beautiful, etc.I never hated my hair. I found it hard to work with, yes, but it never created a problem like it may have someone else with lack of family involvement.... so why is it that black people can't have the same impact within a family?

While I understand that no one was enslaved for their natural hair style, it's a similar context of societal pressure... What I'm saying is, NO MATTER HOW hard society says anything, a good family foundation can change the way a child would see themselves.
I don't recall any of the children...who are usually brutally honest.....say a dang thing about hair. What kind of person are you that you just will not see whats there but must try to deflect from reality?

Old 05-15-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
You think the two are mutually exclusive? If I learn math I can't learn english at the same time? Are you saying these children are not able to comprehend more than one idea? I'm a proud American-Hispanic with a positive image of both whites and hispanics. I don't remember going to any Hispanocentric schools.
Hispance and white are not mutually exclusive and Hispanic speaking nations have the same color hierachy. That said, your use of mutual exclusion makes no sense to me.

Old 05-15-2010, 04:18 PM

25,631 posts, read 29,130,726 times
Quote:
Hispance and white are not mutually exclusive and Hispanic speaking nations have the same color hierachy. That said, your use of mutual exclusion makes no sense to me.
No surprise there.

Old 05-15-2010, 04:22 PM

4,464 posts, read 9,638,897 times
Quote:
That is mighty pompus of you to say because you are the favored group. You only have something to lose....which is to not be recognized for your greatness and superiority. You likely see these kids as "very perceptive". What da problem is
Uh... what?

I don't think whites are, by nature, greater or superior to anyone else. I think the whole idea that colour has anything to do with... well anything is completely ridiculous.

That whites have a superior position in society today is not something I deny, it's especially prevalent in the US, with the, frankly quite fresh, historical reasons.

That does not equate that I think it's right, nor that I think that it shouldn't be addressed, I'm simply stating that I don't see how instilling the same bad attitude in black kids will solve the problem.

So again: Why is colour pride so important? And how will a more prevalent black pride mentality eradicate racism?

Old 05-15-2010, 04:23 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,471,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilExquiste View Post
You are right. It's disgusting and truly sickening when whites say that blacks should just get over or forget slavery and other parts of Americas racist history.
The systematic indoctrination of inferiority as a byproduct of American slavery has got to be the biggest, most profound collective mindf*&ck in history. To think that entire fields of science and scholarship were specifically designed to maintain the justification of black inferiority and its attendant oppressive social policy is just downright appalling.

It is no surprise then that young blacks today would have internalized this indoctrination to such a degree that even they would be willing to kill one another over what amounts to frivolity. The video shows the relatively "benign" part of self-hate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates